• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide Book Advice?

Dan the Man

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2015, 2017, 2019
Hi All:

I was given 3 guide books to the Camino Frances as gifts. I have two that are the 2014 versions. The first one is; Hiking the Camino De Santiago by Anna Dintman & David Landis. The second one is; Camino De Santiagi by Sergi Ramis.

I was also given the Brierly Guide book ( 2010) edition.

I have looked at them all but am only taking 1 guide with me. Does anyone have these?
I have read that the Brierly guide is the ebst but I have the 2010 edition. Should I but the 2014 edition ( i am thinking yes).

Is Brierly's Guide the best guide book?

Dan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 9
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Dan, I don't know the first two books you mentioned, just the Brierley. If I were you I would buy the latest version if you can but of course you don't strictly need it. I found it invaluable on my first camino but didn't bring it on my second. Well, I missed it! And yes, to me it is the best. I was given the Miam Miam Dodo as a gift so took that one but much prefer the Brierley.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Camino Francés hasn't really changed much since the 2010 edition came out. What has changed (and seems to change weekly!) is the listings of albergues. However, that is something you can easily take in electronic format or you can print the print the concise albergue listings PDF (look in the resources area). The 2010 Brierley will still have descriptions of the sections, notes on attractions, and so on. I don't think you really need to invest in a new edition unless you simply prefer one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would use the Michelin Guide to the Camino de Santiago and the most up to date accomodation list from the Resource Section of the forum. The guide hasn't been updated for a while but the maps are great and its small and light.

Save your money and just use the 2010 Brierley guidebook you have. It's all you need. Getting around on the Camino is really quite simple, and that particular guidebook has all the necessary information. You don't need an updated one. I did my second Camino in 2014 with a 2012 Brierley guidebook. No problems. No worries. Besides, it was a gift and that makes it special.

My first Camino I arrived in SJPdP with no guidebook of any kind. I was just going to do the Camino with the single page elevation chart and accommodation list they give you at the pilgrim's office there when you get your pilgrim's passport. That night at the albergue I located and appropriated the Sergi Ramis guidebook which was on a table there, along with other donated items. I guess you could say it was a gift from an anonymous donor. It wasn't the best guidebook around, but it got me to Santiago and has a special spot on my bookshelf.
110.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Save your money and just use the 2010 Brierley guidebook you have. It's all you need. Getting around on the Camino is really quite simple, and that particular guidebook has all the necessary information. You don't need an updated one. I did my second Camino in 2014 with a 2012 Brierley guidebook. No problems. No worries. Besides, it was a gift and that makes it special.

My first Camino I arrived in SJPdP with no guidebook of any kind. I was just going to do the Camino with the single page elevation chart and accommodation list they give you at the pilgrim's office there when you get your pilgrim's passport. That night at the albergue I located and appropriated the Sergi Ramis guidebook which was on a table there, along with other donated items. I guess you could say it was a gift from an anonymous donor. It wasn't the best guidebook around, but it got me to Santiago and has a special spot on my bookshelf.
View attachment 17872

I have that same Sergi Ramis guidelbook. LOL I wish I were there drinking that beer!

I finally plotted my dates, am off to book flights this week. I started training as well. 6 Km yesterday and 5 Km today. I am just breaking in my shoes, my knees, and my back!

I leave Toronto Canada, August 20th. I start my 1st day of walking from SLPDP on August 23rd. I plan to go to the end, Finisterre. I fly home October 6. That should give me plenty of time to walk at a nice pace, see a few places, and enjoy! I will be just in time for Thanksgiving (Canadian Thanksgiving)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have that same Sergi Ramis guidelbook. LOL I wish I were there drinking that beer!

I finally plotted my dates, am off to book flights this week. I started training as well. 6 Km yesterday and 5 Km today. I am just breaking in my shoes, my knees, and my back!

I leave Toronto Canada, August 20th. I start my 1st day of walking from SLPDP on August 23rd. I plan to go to the end, Finisterre. I fly home October 6. That should give me plenty of time to walk at a nice pace, see a few places, and enjoy! I will be just in time for Thanksgiving (Canadian Thanksgiving)
That was in Arzua on my first Camino. I'm sure they will be happy to crack open a cold one for you when you get there. :cool:
They also had a restaurant there that served up a pretty good paella.
108.JPG

My Brierley 2008 is bigger and heavier compared to the later editions. I don't know what the 2010 is like but if the 2015 was significantly smaller and lighter I'd invest in it.

Just don't make the mistake I did and buy the Brierley guide AND the map book. Expected the map book to have more detailed maps. But no, they're exactly the same as the guide. The map book is just a trimmed down version of the guide with a lot of the commentary removed/condensed. My fault entirely for not checking more carefully before buying.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Here in the UK we have another alternative from Cicerone Press:

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/372/title/the-way-of-st-james---spain#.VTSzpyHBzGc

I'm not sure how it compares, but it seems OK to me and although not bang up to date is has served well for 3 years.

I guess what I am saying is that one will probably suffice, it may not need to be the very latest version, and detailed maps don't offer much more than sketch maps in this instance. Route finding is pretty easy, and in fact the most useful maps would be village/town/city centres to find routes and accommodation on arrival. I doubt there will be any problem in finding an albergue, though - most are signed plentifully on arrival into a village, and there are also plenty of people to ask.

Seeing as most of us are now Internet savvy ( even us oldies over 70), why don't you just explore the Internet (camino de Santiago) and have fun planning your route according to the various options that each site offers?
So far, we have never taken a guide book, but we spend a lot of interesting hours planning the route(s) and then take a few downloaded sheets with us, which have been added on to with personal notes, regarding this and that!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have read both the Ramis and Brierley books but am going with the Rothers guide. its smaller, has good maps and descriptions but perhaps less of the history and musings, certainly of the Brierley guide

Mike

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.