Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide book for the Primitivo?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I see some older guides and some blogs listed for the Primitivo. What is the most current guide book with info. on stage lengths and accomodations, like the Wise Pilgrim? Interested in recommendations.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @JillGat, I used the excellent Buen Camino guide for both the Primitivo and Norte. It’s in Spanish - but I managed ok with it (my Spanish is very basic). The Buen Camino app is also very good. Both the guide and app are updated regularly.

I’m hoping that the updated Cicerone guide is available by next summer. The authors did a lot of work on bringing it up to date, which they generously share on NorthernCaminos.com and on Facebook.

In case you’re lucky enough to speak German, the consensus on both Caminos was that the Germans had the best guides!

Last edited:
I walked the Primitivo in May 2016 using the newest Cicerone guide available at that time. I found it very useful and had no problems at all. It did take some getting used to at first, as it has a completely different style of layout/maps than the Brierley guides, but once I became familiar with the differences it was smooth sailing!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wonder what is going on with that Northern Caminos guidebook (Cicerone guide). Dave hasn't been on the forum in a long while. Last I heard, a totally revamped new edition had some snags with the publisher, but that was way back in spring.

I also believe that Michael, aka @wisepilgrim is working on a Primitivo-Salvador guidebook but I could be wrong about that. His other guides have been very highly reviewed. If he has an app for the Primitivo and if you use apps, that's what I would go with. I know some people like to have more context, but there is no need for anything other than Gronze online, IMO.

Edited - was wrong on 1st post, not available yet. The Wise Pilgrim printed guide will be available early in 2018 according to their website. Scroll to bottom of the page: http://www.wisepilgrim.com/

Last edited:
I just checked online and saw that WisePilgrim has a Primitivo app. I used WisePilgrim for the Frances, which was very helpful, so that's good. (I just hope Michael has updated the part of the Frances from Monte Gozo to Santiago. This fall, I followed the WP app instead of the yellow arrows, because WP jived with what I remembered from when I was there before; go downhill to the bridge and cross over into SdC. So I ignored the arrow signs that pointed uphill instead. I ended up down at the bridge that was being re-built and was totally blocked off. And then I saw what I thought was a short cut around the hill to meet the Camino up the hill on the new route. It's kind of a long story, but I ended up bushwacking through nettles and blackberry brambles up a hillside and reaching a deadend in the backyard of a farm with a ten foot fence through which I could see the pilgrims walking by. Not nice, when you are hoping to be in Santiago shortly!)

So Spring after the coming one, I intend to walk the Salvador/Primitivo route. I get to research and read about it for another year and a half! Yay!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used Laurie's guide that is found on this forum and looked at the wise pilgrim app once a day. I also used the GPS on my phone to figure out where I was on several days, just to get an idea of how much farther I had to walk when in the middle of nowhere.

I used Laurie's guide that is found on this forum and looked at the wise pilgrim app once a day. I also used the GPS on my phone to figure out where I was on several days, just to get an idea of how much farther I had to walk when in the middle of nowhere.

I must be going crazy. I can't find Laurie's guide here. I see some notes from her earlier Primitivo Caminos, but no kind of current guide...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @JillGat, I used the excellent Buen Camino guide for both the Primitivo and Norte. It’s in Spanish - but I managed ok with it (my Spanish is very basic). The Buen Camino app is also very good. Both the guide and app are updated regularly.

I’m hoping that the updated Cicerone guide is available by next summer. The authors did a lot of work on bringing it up to date, which they generously share on NorthernCaminos.com and on Facebook.

In case you’re lucky enough to speak German, the consensus on both Caminos was that the Germans had the best guides!

Since I can't find any of the other suggested resources on this thread, it turns out I can't find the Buen Camino guidebook either. I looked here and on Amazon.

Is it possible for y'all to post links to these resources for me? I have found a few guidebooks, but they are all at least two years old and I'd like to find an updated one.

I must be going crazy. I can't find Laurie's guide here. I see some notes from her earlier Primitivo Caminos, but no kind of current guide...
It’s about 18 months old I think. I added the info from wise pilgrim and my own research to update it before printing. It’s still very accurate. A few new albergues along the way some things gone. Minor stuff.

It’s about 18 months old I think. I added the info from wise pilgrim and my own research to update it before printing. It’s still very accurate. A few new albergues along the way some things gone. Minor stuff.

Can you please post a link to her guide? I don't see it... Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since I can't find any of the other suggested resources on this thread, it turns out I can't find the Buen Camino guidebook either. I looked here and on Amazon.

Is it possible for y'all to post links to these resources for me? I have found a few guidebooks, but they are all at least two years old and I'd like to find an updated one.

Hi Jill - here's a link to the Buen Camino guide.
I bought my first copy in Oviedo in 2016 and another one online this year. I've been a bit jinxed with these books, the first one was accidentally destroyed after the Primitivo and the second one was lost this year in Bilbao!

You can view the Wise Pilgrim site here. I don't see a written guide for the Primitivo, but I've heard that the app is really good.

You might also want to check out the Trekopedia app by forum member @stratophile

Forum members' guides and other useful resources are here.

And if this all seems like information overload, I second @peregrina2000's comment that Gronze has everything that you'll need about the Primitivo.

Happy planning!

Hi, Jill, If I am the Laurie you are referring to, I have not written up a guide to the Primitivo. The only guide I work on is the Invierno. So the good news is that means you are not going crazy. ;) I wonder if you are thinking of the compilation Liz Brandt put together a few years back. She pulled it from other sources and people said it was quite helpful.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Jill, If I am the Laurie you are referring to, I have not written up a guide to the Primitivo. The only guide I work on is the Invierno. So the good news is that means you are not going crazy. ;) I wonder if you are thinking of the compilation Liz Brandt put together a few years back. She pulled it from other sources and people said it was quite helpful.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie!
I was responding to an earlier poster who referred to such a guide by you. Maybe she meant the guide by Liz... Oh well, since I won't be heading out on the Primitivo until a year and a half from now, there will likely be a guidebook on the route by then. Thanks! Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Laurie!
I was responding to an earlier poster who referred to such a guide by you. Maybe she meant the guide by Liz... Oh well, since I won't be heading out on the Primitivo until a year and a half from now, there will likely be a guidebook on the route by then. Thanks! Jill

Oh geez, yes. I meant Liz's guide. I got my Ls confused :)
Between her guide and Wise Pilgrim and Gronze, you don't need anything else. Most of the route is through countryside and mountains. All you really need are the distances in order to plan out your day, and the list of private and municipal albergues. Which aren't a lot in most places.

I see the app, but I don't see a printed guide for the Primitivo on this site.
Sorry, I misread the Wise Pilgrim page. I edited the original post. Their book should be out in early 2018.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola, travel writer and pilgrim Stacey Wittig has produced an excellent guide to the Camino Primitivo. The CSJ will publish it very shortly. I'll keep you posted.

Buen camino

John
Oh yes. That's guaranteed to be a good book :)

This is not a guidebook, but I have found the blog posts by Trepidatious Traveller https://magwood.me that provide detailed information about her 5 (so far) Caminos to be very informative. Her 2017 Camino included the Primitivo. Good winter reading while you search out the best guidebooks & apps!

Earlier this year I went on the Ciccerone website and got on a mailing list to get a notification when the 2017 guide to the Northern Caminos (Norte, Primitivo, Ingles) was ready. It was published in August and is available on their site.

And I also endorse using Trepidatious Traveller as a source of great information. I bought the CSJ 2017 Madrid guide and have been comparing it with Maggie's blog. I found her information to be a little more up-to-date than the CSJ guide.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just checked online and saw that WisePilgrim has a Primitivo app. I used WisePilgrim for the Frances, which was very helpful, so that's good. (I just hope Michael has updated the part of the Frances from Monte Gozo to Santiago. This fall, I followed the WP app instead of the yellow arrows, because WP jived with what I remembered from when I was there before; go downhill to the bridge and cross over into SdC. So I ignored the arrow signs that pointed uphill instead. I ended up down at the bridge that was being re-built and was totally blocked off. And then I saw what I thought was a short cut around the hill to meet the Camino up the hill on the new route. It's kind of a long story, but I ended up bushwacking through nettles and blackberry brambles up a hillside and reaching a deadend in the backyard of a farm with a ten foot fence through which I could see the pilgrims walking by. Not nice, when you are hoping to be in Santiago shortly!)

So Spring after the coming one, I intend to walk the Salvador/Primitivo route. I get to research and read about it for another year and a half! Yay!

Hi Jill! My son and I will be doing the same route in Spring of 2019! Hope meet up with you! (I will be the short mom with the 6'5" long haired hippy son. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Wise Pilgrim Primitivo app is in the middle of an update, and a book is in the works for February. Just to let you know.
Good to know, I will be on the lookout for the app. I have the app for the Frances and for the Portugues, both good (end of my unsolicited testimonial). Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The Wise Pilgrim Primitivo app is in the middle of an update, and a book is in the works for February. Just to let you know.

I have loved the CF app. I do hope you've updated the last part into Santiago, though, that has been diverted because of the new bridge being constructed. I ended up traipsing through the brush back up the hill to meet the detour. An adventure on the last day!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have loved the CF app. I do hope you've updated the last part into Santiago, though, that has been diverted because of the new bridge being constructed. I ended up traipsing through the brush back up the hill to meet the detour. An adventure on the last day!
The construction has ended! All is well in this world.

€149,-
I have a Samsung Tablet and when attempting to download the app, it said that it might not be compatible for my device? Is it only for Ipads?

Two possibilities: as there is the choice for iOS or Android, either you might have selected the wrong operating system, or for Android (that's for Samsung) the requirements may not match, meaning your tablet may have a system that's too old, for instance. I have no familiarity with Android, so can't help there, sorry.

Hi, Thanks for sending this. I also got the Wise Pilgrim guide, which has good recent information, too. My plan is to go next spring. Am still wavering between the Primitivo and Via Francigena in Italy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My online receipt says Confraternity of St. James" in the UK was the seller. I haven't received it yet. I think I googled it, but I'll double check for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
BTW, I'm talking about the book she wrote with Johnnie Walker which came out in April 2018. And yes, I googled it under "Stacey Wittig books about Camino de Santiago" and it came right up. It is a Wise Pilgrim book available on the Confraternity of St. James website.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back