A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Guide book

Jamos

Camino(s) past & future
plan (sept/oct 2016)
Which is the best guide book for Portugues Camino

Spammy

Camino(s) past & future
Future - this May (2016)
I'm working from Brierley but won't know until May! If it's a good as the Frances guide, it'll be perfect!

surya8

Camino(s) past & future
Portugues Central and Coastal 2017 & 2019; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia 2018
I've walked my 3 Caminos in Portugal with Brierly's. Very accurate and easy to carry. Lisbon to Porto stretch is done well as well. Bom Caminho! :)

Pilger99

Camino(s) past & future
addicted since 1999 (Aragones, CF), lots of caminos in Spain and Portugal since then
If you are fluent in German try the yellow guide books from Conrad Stein Verlag. Sometimes they issue something in English, but these translations are already old while printed.
Most books are small in size but very detailed in description. The way description goes from albergue to albergue, not telling you fixed stages per day, which is typical to most other guides. Maps are couloured now but still schematic. Details of albergues like phone numbers, number of bed, kitchen facilities etc. tend to be very acurate.
The edition for the portuguese way covers only the ways north of Porto and skips the coastal way in Galicia (A Guarda to Vigo).

To tell the truth I left an older Brierly at home and just took an actual list of accomodation and distances when I started in Lisbon. For me that was enough.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
Yes, I have it on my iPhone and he is updating it regularly. I think it came as a companion to my purchase of my guidebook.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
They are both good guides. If you have wise pilgrim it has a gps in case you get lost. I used Brierley for my CP and it worked just fine. I have used Brierley 3 times. I cut the pages out of the book for that day's walk and then tossed them at the end of the day. Just to make my pack a little lighter. Last year I used the Wise Pilgrim app for the Camino Norte and that worked just fine. I also used Gronze as a reference for distances and for additional albergue choices. No one source has every place to sleep. When I bought the Wise Pilgrim apps I bought a bundle for about $24US It has like 11 different Caminos apps. Unfortunately I do not believe he still offers the whole bundle. I do not think the individual apps cost more than about $5.00US each.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)

caminoagogo

http://camino-a-go-go.blogspot.com/
Camino(s) past & future
Francés from Leon(2014)
Frances & Sanabres from Ourense (2018)
Portugués (2020)
I have the Brierley book and the Wise Pilgrim app on the phone. I use the app to help choose accommodation for the night as it has reviews from other pilgrims on it. If there's a review that mentions BED BUGS, I avoid it.

Pilger99

Camino(s) past & future
addicted since 1999 (Aragones, CF), lots of caminos in Spain and Portugal since then
> If there's a review that mentions BED BUGS, I avoid it.
Is that still well thought or already panic?
How old was the review? Who wrote it? Maybe the one from the albergue across the street.
They don't mention when (or if) it is desinfected after that. And do they'll distinguish a bug coming from a neigbours backpack/clothes from other bugs living in that bulding?

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 248 25.3%