• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide books and tourist offices

Jim Michie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Norte 2016
I was recently reading fellow pilgrim Laura's response for a recomendaion on guide books. In her response she recommends using the local tourist office to augment the info in the guide books. This is the best navigation advise I've seen on the forum. I found that the tourist office will give you detailed maps and instructions on how to get back on the well marked Camino from major cities. The Camino is sometimes not well marked in cities and I've found getting back on the Camino to be difficult. You may be one block away from the Camino route and not have a clue if you are heading in the correct direction. I should note here I do not walk with a smart phone.

Another suggestion for using the tourist office is to assist with lodging. On the Camino Norte I found that many (most) of the albergue owners do not speak English, and having poor Spaanish language skills I found determing the availability of lodging to be worrisome. I personally do not usually call for reservations but noticed there were many days were albergues were filled. The days usually were on weekends and in coastal towns close to beaches.

Jim Michie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, it is a good idea. They are usually kind and well informed; they even may call to find if there are available beds, or make a reservation for you.
Just remember that there will not be tourism bureaus in non touristic places, and in villages, they may be open only in the mornings by Saturdays, and be closed in Sundays.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back