• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide Camino del Nord

semikov

Hi everyone
Can you help me? i am looking for some good guide for all Camino del norde...from Irun to Santiago de Comp. Can you give me some advices. Thanks a lot
regards Marek
boun camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had the Confraternity of St. James (CSJ) guide but I did not find it useful. THere is a German guidebook that seems to be pretty good. I do not speak German but had a look at a friend's book and it had maps, albergues, listed, etc. I don't know the name of the series of books. It has a yellow cover. Someone will mention it here I imagine.

Hello Friend
Not sure if you can speak Spanish or not... but if you can (or are willing to learn some basics) this seems like it might be a good guide - http://www.jacobeo.net/index.php?modulo=16. I will be using this on my upcoming Camino!
:)
Hope this helps!
ENDS

A selection of Camino Jewellery
marek,

The name is : Jacobsweg/Kustenweg of Michael Kasper & Michael Moll. Edition via Conrad Stein Verlag. ISBN 978-3-86686-071-1
Excellent guide (which I used myself in 2006) when you can manage the german language!

Good luck!

paul

Thanks a lot
I was thinking abot Eric Walker s guide. book. I really do not know, last camino { portugal} i did without book and I have realised a bit shame ,so i wonna buy some good book to learn a new things and maybe a new language. i speak a little bit italian ,so maybe I am going to buy one of book what did you recomended me- Guía práctica del Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo y Camino del Salvador...spanich language is closer to italian...on the other hand is good chance to learn something and a put some preasure to my younger brother too..

If you have some other good points to camino den norde just let me know

Thanks a lot
regards marek

We took the CJS Eric Walker guide and the German guide. The English one is very confusing. The German was a bit too difficult for us, and we did not have a German dictionary with us!! There seem to be good Spanish guides with maps, and also leaflets for each Spanish region - the tourist office in the first town in each region will have plenty of helpful reading matter. The albergue in Irun had lots of leaflets too. Knowing what I know now I think I would not worry too much about getting a guide before arriving in Spain, but take a small Spanish/English dictionary to use with a Spanish one.

Also, there are many places where the route has variations, and different books will direct you different ways. We cut a strip off Michelin maps (can't remember the scale) to give us some idea about the choices. I would rather carry maps than a guide.

Another thing, there are plenty of yellow arrows in most places. We usually found that where we had top make a guess at which way to go, it worked out all right!

If you want a guide for information about the places you are going through, rather than which way to go, I advise visiting the tourist offices along the way and picking up leaflets.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Marek,

go to: www. mundicamino.com
find the english version and then click on the "north way". There you will find all the stages, day by day, and on "line/outline" you will find a map of that section of the day plus the altitude. It has the albergues listed, etc. I find it very good. I used the one for the camino frances and it was excellent.

When are you planing on doing the northern route?
Sabine

Yes, I forgot about Mundicamino. The maps are not very detailed but give you an idea. The information about the albergues is excellent.

There are leaflets with details about the albergues - telephone numbers, dates open etc, available all along the route, again usually limited to each region.

I cut and pasted the CSJ Eric Walker guide book - literally!. I cut out and dipsosed of all the bike directions (irrelevant to me) and reduced the whole guide by about 10 pages. By cutting the bike info out I found it quite easy to read, and follow, and also had some of the history bits to read as well. It was a fiddle with photo copying etc, but I found it worth while. Others I know didn't bother with his guide, but I am glad I had my version of it on hand.

A lot of people criticise the various guide books, yet they seem to fail to take into account the fact that at any time there are factors that will make the information they contain incorrect. A classic example of this is when I left Toulouse. On my first day out I got to the small town of Pibrac and turned left at the Post office as directed. Fortunately my sense of direction had kicked in (even though I was in the northern hemisphere) and I found I was going in the wrong direction. Even though I had retraced my steps to try and sort out where I was going wrong, I was unable to do so - there were no signs anywhere that I could find either. It was only some time later, when talking with a local, that I found out that the Post Office had moved around the corner and across the road, and that when I went to where the PO HAD BEEN - there were the signs! Incidences like this are not the fault of the guide writers and we pilgrims should stop blaming them for something that they have no control over.

cheers, Janet

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all Del Norte people. I am just starting my research and wondered if anyone has anything new from 2010 walks. Sill did you have any luck with the e-document? I followed the posts for a while but lost them.

Leaving Canada around July 10 and plan to be in Irun by the 13th. Wold love to know who else will be there around that time.

Bev

I used the El Pais Aguilar guide which was generally good. I also got supplementary info from tourist info offices en route. They have up-to-date lists of albergues and also maps.

You might like to follow the E9 coastal walking track instead of the Camino proper. Info and maps are available at tourist info offices.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks AJ, most encouraging!

Hi
I start the Norte on May 11th armed with a pair of 2007 Eric Walker CSJ guides and a belief that the Camino will provide.
I will try to blog as I go along and if I can get organized and take notes will do an info blog when I get home.
Ian

Ian, that would be fantastic.

Buen Camino - you don't have too long to wait!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used the Eric Walker guides last summer on the Norte and found them to be very helful. They are simply written and text only, but he gives some good tips about trails that might be overgrown, accomodations in cities and villages, and if you will pass stretched with little or no food. The german guidebook did have more maps and visual help, but I just wound up looking at some fellow pilgrim's a few times for help on the coastal route alternatives (which I highly recommend!)

Buen Camino, see you all out there this summer!
Gail

I would like to know when the best time is to walk the Camino Norde from Santander. I have walked the Primitivo in July and the Portuguese in September 2012. This year is the Norde year.. Please give me advise so I can plan my holiday.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Camino is lovely in May, spring flowers, maybe snow on the distant mountain peaks (Picos de Europa), Everything fresh and green. You can walk along the cliffs and even the beach.

Terry walked in May from Santander and then moved onto the Primitivo after Oviedo. We don't feel the need to start east of Santander as that is where we can best arrive in Spain. Looking to walk part of the Norte together later this year starting at Barreda west of Santander. The far west section will have to wait for another time.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.