• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide for Via Augusta, Cadiz to Seville?

hecate105

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
'09 Portuguese Estellas '14 Aurelia '16 St Davids '17 Via Augusta/V dl P. '18/'19 Michael Mary Way
I have the Spanish guide, but as my Spanish is limited I hoped to find an English guide. The CSJ had a pdf of one but it does not seem to be available. Does anyone know of a guide from Cadiz to Seville? Also - as i love an excuse to buy a map.... Any ideas for Spanish maps from Cadiz up to Salamanca? I want the scale to be 1:200,000 or smaller if possible! But i have a 1:400,000 for some of the way, so i could 'add in' some detail.
We are cycling - and have the Vde la Plata pdf print out of the route, but as it is a rural route and we will be travelling over Easter too - it would be nice to be able find places off route if necessary....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi George, yes i found the mundacamino site, but i need paper maps. Don't have gps device, I'm not sure that i want anything that can run out of electric or break down... So many albergues 've stayed in only have a couple of plugs free - and so many people want to charge phones etc. I usually don't bother, just turn my phone on once a day for 10 mins, in case anything is urgent, then my battery lasts for 2 weeks. We do wild camp a lot too - so no electric at all! The thought of being dependent on a device that i have to keep charged is worrying - i'd rather have a map! I have visited many ap shops online, but no one so far has had any 1:200,000 maps - except the ones of the northern bit I already have!
If anyone is in the same position wanting to travel the coast route from Lisbon to Porto - i have maps i can lend!

George, how well was the route way-marked in your opinion?

MSPath, thanks for the traildino link - i hadn't seen that before. And it reminded me of the Peter Robbins mapping site that i could not remember the name of...! Now it has changed name and I've bookmarked it! Exceedingly good for planning the journey....

I found the route to be well marked for a walker, at walking pace you have plenty of time to spot the arrows.
As to power, google "Tigra bike charger" or "phone charging on bike."
As to maps google "rac route planner"
As to plug, multi USB adapter and aux battery.
Regards
George

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have cycled from the coast near Cadiz via Seville all the way to Santiago (though not on the Via Augusta). If you are starting in Cadiz the question is whether you want to cycle around the bay a fairly pointless act in my opinion as it is built up and crowded with roads, a boat to Puerto Santa Maria I would say is more sensible. The journey from there to Seville is dull and flat and no more than 2 days in a bike.

From Seville to Zamora is much more hilly and there are some long stretches between villages.

George, how well was the route way-marked in your opinion?

MSPath, thanks for the traildino link - i hadn't seen that before. And it reminded me of the Peter Robbins mapping site that i could not remember the name of...! Now it has changed name and I've bookmarked it! Exceedingly good for planning the journey....

Please remind me what is the new name of Peter Robbins old site; his was/is such an encyclopedic resource.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
William,
I agree, the walking route is not a lot better, the first two days are a little better with views over the bay or the nature reserve on the second, after that too much time paralleling motorways or railways.
Regards
George

I'm happy to trade slogging up hills for flatness and motorway noise...! At least till my legs get fitter. Can't wait to see Cadiz - a place i've always wanted to visit, and Seville is a pleasure always.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Found some good 1:200,000 maps (institucional mapas provinciales de espana) which cover the route pretty well. I also found that Viamichelin (which i use to find out distances if i'm driving somewhere) has brilliant 'zoom in' maps that show the Camino routes in and out of towns (or elsewhere) which you can print. So I've printed off any larger town centres so i don't cycle miles past the albergue or anything else! It is a pet hate of mine that you always have to get to the centre of a city to find the tourist office where they give you a lovely map of the city.... !

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.