• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide/Map fo Vezelay Route

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Curlew said:
Does anyone know of a guide and/or route map in English for the Vezelay route?
falcon269 said:
I searched high and low and never found one!

The VĂ©zelay route crosses France. Very accurate French maps are prepared by the IGN (Instutut Naional Geographique). The Confraternity of St James bookstore presently sells the following French guidebook containing IGN MAPS and a FRENCH-ENGLISH GLOSSARY to the VĂ­a Lemovicensis or VĂ©zelay route

"Itinéraire du pèlerin de St-Jacques sur la Voie historique de Vézelay,Jean-Charles & Monique Chassain. Association des Amis de St Jacques de la Voie de Vézelay, Vézelay, 2012, 5th edition, 4th impression. xxxvi pp. Introduction, 160 pp. route description, 115 pp. of maps (with waterproof cover), and 63 pp description of monuments etc.
This guide is an extraordinary achievement: a detailed description, with copies of the IGN 1:50,000 maps, of a route which is gradually becoming better known and more frequently walked. In loose-leaf format, with its waterproof pouch, it is designed for thoroughly practical use Available with an English translation (by Alison Raju) of the Introduction, and a French-English glossary, reprinted (by CSJ) from the 2011 edition. Otherwise the Guide remains in French"

To see more click on this CSJ thread >> http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Pilgrim_Guides_7.html

Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Margaret

I have seen details of the guide you mention but was deterred by the price (ÂŁ27!) and the fact that only the glossary is In English. Having said that, if the maps are good it may well suffice. Have you seen it/ used it?

Curlew said:
Thanks Margaret

I have seen details of the guide you mention but was deterred by the price (ÂŁ27!) and the fact that only the glossary is In English. Having said that, if the maps are good it may well suffice. Have you seen it/ used it?

Curlew,

No I have not seen or used this book. However when Googling two sample pages appeared. >> http://www.saint-jacques-par-vezelay.eu/Presentation-du-guide.html?lang=fr. Click on the IGN map images to enlarge them. You can run the publicity text through Google translate to read more selling points in English.

Margaret

I used it, and it was great (not the translated glossary, but the guidebook in French). Learn the difference between droit and tout droite!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks that's helpful. Does anyone know if this guide is available at a more reasonable price...Falcon, have you got an old one you want to sell?

Annual revisions make old copies a bit obsolete. My brother has mine as a keepsake. The last time I looked, the new one was not yet published. I never found a discount. The pilgrim office in Vezelay had it when we were there, so they may new the latest edition. Good luck, and bon chemin.

I have the 2005 version of that massive guide. It is a thick double book shaped folder, with maps, French and English overviews and French route details and several other pamphlets. It includes a plastic map case to wear around your neck.

We bought it after spending a night in Vezelay and our way by car to LePuy. The trail from Vezelay looked so great we almost started there, and have had the route on our list ever since.

When we do the trip, the only part that will come with us is perhaps the French part on history and buildings, and the lodging lists. We'll put the route and maps in the GPS.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back