• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide of el Camino del Norte

dobry_den

Hi! I'm embarking on el Camino del Norte next week - I'm starting in Bilbao. Is it possible to buy a guide (in English, French or Spanish) in Bilbao with description of the various places I'll see/visit along the Northern Way? Thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
guidebook

In the Santander albergue and most likely in others+ book stores there was a guide for Camino del Norte. The guy who had put the book together was keeping albergue in San Vicente de la Barquera with his family.

It was in Spanish, English, French if I remember and German. German language was very weird, most likely translated by PC programm or by somebody with very bad knowledge of the language. English was better and Spanish of course should be very good. Good point about the guide was that it showed the pictures of albergues (so you know, what you are looking for) , some sightseeing objects and a route also to the Liebana monastery (they were so fascinated with the Liebana holy year in April there). It also showed different ways from Oviedo - the Original route + coastal route. It costs 15-18 EUR. Better that nothing anyway.

I also got some materials from tourist info, in Spanish only + had search the mundicamino.com for route.

Near Cobreces and Comillas there were quite a lot of road building going on, so in some cases I had to use only logic to turn to the right way as there was no marking. The weirdest sign was a taped arrow on trash bin. I took it as a sign and bingo!

I would say that when in comes to nature then I liked Camino del Norte more that Camino Frances, although got terrible, terrible rain for several days.

I would suggest you to buy the one from Anton Pombo or the one from Carlos Mencos. Both are experienced pilgrims and both guides are very well done.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just completed the camino norte, and didn't find a problem with construction in corbeces or comillas. The trail is VERY WELL MARKED.
the north is certainly VERY DIFFERENT than the camino frances. Fewer people, more asphalt walking, not as historical, beautiful by the seaside. i am compiling a list of albergues that are no longer or times that they are open.
Speaking spanish helps, it certainly has been life changing for me.(i walked camino frances last year)
Wanting a coffee at 6 or 7 am!!! NOT likely on the north. In the albergues between 3-10 people, sometimes i was alone. There is no race to GET A BED. BOTH ARE BEAUTIFUL in their own way!!!
Next year........... ideas?????
dawn

Javier Martin said:
I would suggest you to buy the one from Anton Pombo or the one from Carlos Mencos. Both are experienced pilgrims and both guides are very well done.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Javier:
I assume that these are available in book shops in Spain, right?
But can you suggest where to purchase them on the internet...
Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.