• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide: The Route of Routes (pdf)

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

A few months ago JohnnieWalker came up with the idea of setting up a route in and around Santiago de Compostela for pilgrims that would like to see the town and do a one-day-walk.

You might not have time to walk to Finisterre, but still you have one day "left over". The route walks parts of the 5 Caminos that enter the city and you also walk up to the TV tower where there is a great view of Santiago.

This guide, written by JohnnieWalker, has now been published here on this site as a pdf document:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/the-rout ... ela-guide/

It is a Confraternity of Saint James guide, so donations are appreciated.

Enjoy!
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ivar!

I walked some of the Route of Routes with a private guide amigo miguel_gp and I like it. We walked in very beautiful areas of Santiago that I would not have seen otherwise. Saw some of the Portuguese, English route and some others. up and down the hills and through some beautiful parks and quiet suburbs in Santiago.
Welldone JW!

Regards,

We used the guide to walk the 7km Monte Pedrouzo section, starting by going downhill past the Reyes Catolicos to pick up the route. Lovely and just right for the time we had. Thanks Johnnie.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can only echo what has been said above. I have walked the full route once and also the "city" walk with Annie and it is a lovely walk with great views of the city and Cathedral from all angles. When you have a couple of spare days in Santiago and you have walked the loop of the old town for the 17th time this may be just the tonic you need?

A great addition to all Santiago has to offer IMHO.
Mig.

Route of Routes attached as a kmz file which should open up in Google Earth (Windows Version) if opened or downloaded and will show the path and the individual sections on each of the Camino Ways. Once in Google Earth, right click on the route name in the sidebar and select Elevation Profile for profile, distance and gradient information.

Cheers
Mig

Attachments

• Santiago_Route_Of_Routes.kmz
    7 KB · Views: 122
  • GE_ElevProfile.jpg
    GE_ElevProfile.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 757
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just bumping this thread for the benefit of those arriving in Santiago over the summer and finding they have a few hours to spare and who may wish to see parts of the city outside of the central area.

The Route of Routes devised by @JohnnieWalker is a very pleasant ramble through and, optionally, above the city.
It also enables you to walk various sections if you do not have time to complete the full circuit, which touches all the caminos at some point. We walked down from the Cathedral and took the Monte Pedrouzo section, then back via the cruceiros to the city. A great view of the Cathedral from various points along the ridge.
Many thanks to Johnnie for producing this.

And many thanks for the kmz file. I now have an OziExplorer track file - for those navigating "nuts" See the attached

Attachments

• Route of Routes.gpx
    56 KB · Views: 8
  • Route of Routes.gpx
    56 KB · Views: 0
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To do that you need a free PDF reader - are you on Windows or Mac or a phone/tablet? If you tell me, I can help more, BC SY

I found it, Thanks. At least the 2012 PDF. I want to save it for my next time in Santiago Compostela. I walked last year(116 km) and I am planning 280 km SJDP to Burgos for 2019. :rolleyes:

The gpx files are a way of exchanging position linked files for navigation using gps enabled navigating devices. Some detailed searching and apps to convert to one of the file formats these devices use. Include Google is helpful here.
Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.