• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide to albergues

A

Anonymous

Hi friends, been looking on the forum for a list of albergues and haven't found one, so here it is. Boss and fellow-moderators, please delete if duplicated!

A Guide to Albergues on the Camino de Santiago

Albergues and Refugios are hostels - but hostels only for pilgrims. Therefore you need a Pilgrims Passport to stay in one. Pilgrims passports are issued at quite a number of places. Firstly, from your home country confraternity, if you are a member; at some Albergues (cost is normally only a few euro). St Jean Pied de Port, Roncesvalles, and Pamplona, where most people start are the main centers where pilgrims passports are collected.

This list albergues not comprehensive - it is impossible to compile a completely up to date list of Albergues. New albergues are being opened all the time. Private Albergues will be found in addition to what is listed below.

Please remember that almost all the people that will greet you in an Albergue are volunteers. This is their way of giving back to the Camino de Santiago, please treat them with the respect they are due, without them the Way of St James would be much more difficult for all.

The facilities vary greatly. Some albergues are warm and cozy (Grannon), - some are old school buildings that lack any atmosphere, some have washing machines, but mostly it will have to be done by hand. Every one which I stayed in had hot showers. Most have kitchens, but in most towns there will be a bar that serves the "Pilgrim menu", this is usually cheaper, but with little choice, (about €5 to €9). However some Albergues, like Granon, will serve a communal evening meal, (donation and washing dishes, if so inclined). A lot of Albergues now have internet connection.

The house rules vary - but most will be open from 4pm and close in the evening at ten or eleven - beware at some they will lock you out. Some will wake you at six in the morning - and normally out by 7am. Pilgrims are allowed one nights stay; unless medical grounds force the person to rest, this happens, sore knees, feet, etc.

The closer you come to Santiago, the busier the Albergues, patience is a requirement not an option. However it all is an incredible experience, see it for what it is, a pilgrimage to Santiago.

FOR LIST GO TO: http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/albergues.html

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.