Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide to 'O Camiño Verde' crossover - Lugo on Primitivo to Sobrado on Norte

Guide to 'O Camiño Verde' crossover - Lugo on Primitivo to Sobrado on Norte

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
notion900 submitted a new resource:

Guide to the 'Camino Verde' crossover route - Primitivo to Norte - Downloadable PDFs with detailed directions and maps, Wikiloc links

This is a crossover from Lugo on the Primitivo, to Sobrado dos Monxes on the Norte, through a tranquil and beautiful rural area, mainly on farm and forest tracks.

José Manuel Sánchez Grande from Friol, @xmsg on this forum, created the route and painted the green arrows. There are two suggested stages, with an overnight at Friol, where there is a pension, bank, bars and restaurants, and a supermarket. There is also a summer public swimming pool by the riverbank.

This...

Read more about this resource...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Update: I met with José Manuel this week.

He mentioned there was a recent court ruling which we should know about: the court ruled against Media Rural (the environment council of the Xunta Galicia) and for some owners of small farms, because Media Rural had installed a boardwalk, a bench and signposts on the riverside path coming out of Lugo, the one which José uses for the start of the Green Way. The court said that the infrastructure has to be removed along a 100m section.

He sent me a news article, there is no suggestion that the path is illegal, just the infrastructure, however, its removal could possibly impact on walking this route, as it's on a riverbank. José's brother walked the riverside route this week, and says there is no change as yet, and the green arrows are still there. I am guessing that the route used to be walkable before the boardwalks were installed, and so should still be passable after they are removed, but let's see.

If anyone comes across any problems on this section please let me or José know by private message (Conversation function), so he can amend the directions on his blog if need be. He is @xmsg on here but does not log in often, but does respond promptly to private messages.

Last edited:
Hi I walked the route again this August, and met with José Manuel @xmsg and his lovely family in Friol. First to report that there is no problem with the boardwalks being removed, in fact they have been repaired. (JM now thinks that perhaps the original article I mentioned above refers to another stretch of boardwalk).
Also some more news: JM has made has made an alternative on the first stage to go to visit Santa Maria de Boveda. I walked this route and refreshed the arrows. The second stage now also includes two slight variations near the end, using different gates to exit the horse enclosure. Both stages and their variants are now well marked and described in the downloadable sheets from JM's blog. It was absolutely fantastic and I really encourage anyone to try it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having just returned home from walking this route I would like to add my two cents!

It's really pretty well marked!! Only missed an arrow in one tiny hamlet. It only cost me 500m or so, maybe a whole km for the day added. But it was my error (partly due to a very happy little dog I wanted to get past!) I was using the app Buen Camino to track where I was. That's how I discovered my error. Easy enough to fix.

The route itself? Utterly beautiful, and quiet. Very quiet in the best way possible. For me ending in Sobrado dos Monxes was the icing on the cake. Vespers, Compline and Brother Lawrence made for a wonderful two day recovery (I blistered coming into town, my own fault!)

The stages are on the longish side for me, but after you've been walking for weeks, its totally doable. In total it may add a few km to the total for the trip, but again, worth it!

The Pension in Friol was very friendly. The Supermercado was well stocked for setting yourself up for the second day. While there was no where to get water, I'm sure if you stopped at a house or farm and asked in your best Espanol for aqua they would help you.

I would post some pics now of the magical route called the Camino Verde, but my computer is choking on the number of photo's I'm trying to download!!! ;) Maybe later!!

Jose Manuel @xmsg - Gracias, Danke, Thank you!!

Karin

PS. You may still get an odd reaction at the Pilgrim Office. I did. I had to explain my two days with no stamps except where I stayed for the night!! Unless I'd grabbed a goat or sheep or cow and had them step on my credential ;) Or perhaps asked a farmer in the middle of milking...yeah...I don't think that would have been the best idea!! But, I have my compostella.

@ksam delighted to hear it. Did you see any path works on the first day and did you go via Boveda? The council of Friol has been doing some waymarking and surfacing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@ksam I am glad you had enjoied walking on the "camiño verde".
I would like to know in which hamlet you have lost to check where is the arrow.
Between Friol and Sobrado dos Monxes there is a drinking fountain to 10 km from Friol, in Laxe, in the clothes washing shelter, and, how youself say, the people of the hamlets will help you if you need it.

We walked this the day after @ksam and agree that the first day is absolutely magical. The second day’s walking is “standard Camino” and ends in a magnificent monastery.
We took the Bóveda route and came across workers resurfacing the road. There were a couple of spots where we wondered if we had gone wrong but found arrows quickly. (Can’t explain where sorry)
If someone was walking without reading the instructions they could be confused at the “deviation points” each day. The arrows would look conflicting and you wouldn’t necessarily realise they indicated two options. We got maps.me out at the split on the second day because it looked like both routes went through the gate, but instinct said to stay on the track on this side and not take the track on the other. We took the right hand option, hoping to meet some pilgrims on the Norte route (which we did) and soon found arrows on the trees in confirmation that NOT going through the gate was right.

My one warning on this route would be the dogs. Some are barky but chained. Others are roaming free. Two of my kids walked past one yard with no trouble then my husband and daughter passed and a pack of small dogs “led” by an Alsatian raced out barking madly at them. They employed the “pretend there’s nothing wrong and walk on calmly” technique and the leader circled them and bit my husband’s calf - not a big wound, but did break the skin. The adrenaline was running.
If we did that route again we would definitely carry iodine and a stick (as we were this time).
It still remains the most magical Camino day we have ever had!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@ksam I am glad you had enjoied walking on the "camiño verde".
I would like to know in which hamlet you have lost to check where is the arrow.
Between Friol and Sobrado dos Monxes there is a drinking fountain to 10 km from Friol, in Laxe, in the clothes washing shelter, and, how youself say, the people of the hamlets will help you if you need it.

Ok...took a little snooping around on Google maps but I believe I have found it! :) It's shortly before Friol. If Google Maps has it correctly labeled its O Sisto. I may have missed an arrow myself! As I said, there was a very yappy little dog, I was hot and tired, so I pushed on fairly quickly. But after a short spell and not green arrows I guessed something was wrong and using the Buen Camino App's mapping was able to retrace and got to Friol without any further issues!!

Again, thank you so much for your work on this lovely route.

Karin

@xmsg I think she might mean the place we were talking about where it's very hard to paint an arrow as there's nothing to paint it on.

Does anyone know if there is any place to sleep at Friol? I am planning my May Camino Primitivo have not been able to find anything.

I wanted to avoid heading down to Melide and the end of the Camino Frances. But Friol is the 'bed gap.' One I get to Sobrado, all is good until Santiago.

Anyone have ideas?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you. I too found it very late last night.

But they are sold out the day I need a place. It looks like I may surrender and just continue on the traditional Primitivo, down to Melide, then west to Arzua, Lavacolla and Santiago. But this crossover still looks interesting.

In the first half of May, crowding should not be too much of an issue even at the end of the Camino Frances. I will get my planning sheets out and try to obtain confirmed and cancellable reservations today...

Fingers crossed...

Hi
Are you sure everything is busy in Casa Benigno? Have you called them? It seems very strange that everything is busy on that date.
It is more expensive, but you can try it in the cottage "Bi Terra"(http://biterra.es/web/). It is a beautiful place in the countryside, at 8km from Friol. They offer the possibility to pick you up at Friol and take you back the next day.
Sometimes, the council gives the facilities of the sports hall to large groups. You can try it calling to the Friol town hall (00 34 982375001).
Good luck

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having just returned home from walking this route I would like to add my two cents!

It's really pretty well marked!! Only missed an arrow in one tiny hamlet. It only cost me 500m or so, maybe a whole km for the day added. But it was my error (partly due to a very happy little dog I wanted to get past!) I was using the app Buen Camino to track where I was. That's how I discovered my error. Easy enough to fix.

The route itself? Utterly beautiful, and quiet. Very quiet in the best way possible. For me ending in Sobrado dos Monxes was the icing on the cake. Vespers, Compline and Brother Lawrence made for a wonderful two day recovery (I blistered coming into town, my own fault!)

The stages are on the longish side for me, but after you've been walking for weeks, its totally doable. In total it may add a few km to the total for the trip, but again, worth it!

The Pension in Friol was very friendly. The Supermercado was well stocked for setting yourself up for the second day. While there was no where to get water, I'm sure if you stopped at a house or farm and asked in your best Espanol for aqua they would help you.

I would post some pics now of the magical route called the Camino Verde, but my computer is choking on the number of photo's I'm trying to download!!! ;) Maybe later!!

Jose Manuel @xmsg - Gracias, Danke, Thank you!!

Karin

PS. You may still get an odd reaction at the Pilgrim Office. I did. I had to explain my two days with no stamps except where I stayed for the night!! Unless I'd grabbed a goat or sheep or cow and had them step on my credential ;) Or perhaps asked a farmer in the middle of milking...yeah...I don't think that would have been the best idea!! But, I have my compostella.

Hi @ksam, I'm looking to do this Green Way route primarily because of the monastery at Sobrado dos Monxes! Taking part in the Liturgies sounds like a real treat and blessing. It doesn't seem like the Primitivo has many monastery stays. Your post indicated a possible 2 night stay there... did you pre-book ahead or were there enough beds at the monastery if you arrived without any reservations?

@notion900 @xmsg - The Cota option sounds like there's less asphalt, so I'll likely take that to Friol. Are you able to tell me the main differences between the Marco das Pías vs Foxo do Cabrito options?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@t2andreo Can you confirm that the pilgrim office will deny a Compostela to someone who walks the Camino Verde as part of their final approach to CdS as it is ‘unofficial’?
When I walked it - a truly wonderful experience - the tourist office in Lugo told me I was forbidden to do such a thing....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Update September 2022

CAUTION!

I walked the trail detailed below on Sept 15 2022. I used the arrows and occasionally Wikiloc. Once you leave the roads west of Lugo and enter the forest the trail becomes hazardous in places. There are segments that are only passable by boardwalks. In places the boardwalk is starting to collapse. The forest section along a stream and mill continues for about 90 minutes and then you begin to travel on rural roads and tracks which are fine.

The forest section is still passable in fall 2022 but not for much longer. Travel with a partner or follow country roads to Regueiro where you’ll join the Verde on much nicer rural routes. There is the possibility of injury in the first forest section. During the whole 25k trail I didn’t see a single other person.

In other news there seems to be more large aggressive dogs on this route than normal. Think guard dogs not farm dogs. They were fenced when I passed but this could change.

So after having said all that I enjoyed the trail and its challenges. Beautiful in the forest and along the creeks. Travel the first part with caution.

The trail https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...itivo-al-camino-norte-de-santiago-1-2-1076597 (lugo-cotá-friol (del camino primitivo al camino norte de santiago, 1/2))1663248450879.png

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the update! Does anyone know/has anyone walked the route set up by Albergue Ponte Ferreira for Ferreira to Sobrado?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mud? Well that depends on rain. The first forested section might be impassable with rain. After that it’s standard rural farm tracks and asphalt roads. The Friol Sobrado section is less earthy and only in 1 place might mud / water be an issue. If you backtrack 100m you can go around.

Mud? Well that depends on rain. The first forested section might be impassable with rain. After that it’s standard rural farm tracks and asphalt roads. The Friol Sobrado section is less earthy and only in 1 place might mud / water be an issue. If you backtrack 100m you can go around.
Thanks, BombayBill. Hoping to be there in 2 weeks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks so much for the updates and I'm thrilled at the interest in the route. Unfortunately I haven't been there since before the pandemic. Scrolling back to the top there was talk of a dispute about the existence of the board walks a few years ago. @xmsg do you know anything?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.