• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide to the Camino de Uclés — in Spanish and English

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Note from the mods. I have merged two threads — the first post here has the guide in Spanish, and if you scroll down to post number 8, you will see that @Canuck has added an English translation.

Hola!

@Canuck kindly provided Spanish language guide so here it is in .pdf files attached.
Happy planning :)

Attachments

• Camino de Ucles Acogita y sello.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Camino de Uclés Guia.pdf
    237 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am going to translate the guide into English, but it will be a week or so before I can get to it. I have seen that several forum members are considering this route, and maybe someone will want to add to this guide, and turn it from Madrid to Uclés to a guide going Uclés to Madrid. Lots of possibilities here — like Kevin did for the Mozárabe and Lana, or Alexwalker for the San Olav, or a big bunch of us for the Invierno. When are people thinking about walking? I’m asking because if any non-Spanish speakers are going soon, I can get the translation of the (short) guide done before then.

If the route is really so well marked even in opposite direction and if you check the GPS (link in the guide) track I think there's not much chance getting lost. What I miss most are some historical facts on architecture etc. But it's a start and I'm sure the guide will get better and better.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I will try to add bits and pieces. I did that with Ender’s guides when I translated them, mainly because I didn’t know what particular Spanish words meant. Some googling led me to interesting descriptions of a particular historical monument, natural feature, etc. So I will adopt the same approach here.

And I agree that it seems the likelihood of getting lost is trivial, but it is always more comfortable to read a guide that goes in the same direction as you.

If the route is really so well marked even in opposite direction and if you check the GPS (link in the guide) track I think there's not much chance getting lost. What I miss most are some historical facts on architecture etc. But it's a start and I'm sure the guide will get better and better.
If you use the GPS route provided in that guide just be mindful that it doesn't start in the church of Santiago in Madrid. It starts in Villaverde a suburb in the outskirts of the city.

If you use the GPS route provided in that guide just be mindful that it doesn't start in the church of Santiago in Madrid. It starts in Villaverde a suburb in the outskirts of the city.
True, but I meant the Ucles - Madrid direction, the rest is easy although Madrid is really big city (at least for me coming from a 300k city).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As a result of great team work between Peregrina2000, KinkyOne and Canuck, it's a pleasure to publish an English version of the Camino de Uclés guide book or information booklet.

The document is open to comments and suggestions.

Hoping that this will generate interest in this camino which deserves to be better known.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Attachments

• Ucles - Guide.pdf
    687.3 KB · Views: 220
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thankyou, I may just add this to my Madrid Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked el Camino de Uclés last year, about this time. The Camino is very well marked and Manuel who runs the whole camino is very kind. I did not enjoy as much as I enjoyed Mozarab, Salvador and Primitivo. I found the Camino de Uclés too much asphalt for me. But I liked Uclés a lot, especially the monastery there.

I walked el Camino de Uclés last year, about this time. The Camino is very well marked and Manuel who runs the whole camino is very kind. I did not enjoy as much as I enjoyed Mozarab, Salvador and Primitivo. I found the Camino de Uclés too much asphalt for me. But I liked Uclés a lot, especially the monastery there.
I must specify that it's not on regular road asphalt for the most part but on hard surface on bike ways. It's a very quiet camino away from traffic and noise.
Thanks for bringing this subject up and giving me an opportunity to clarify the situation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since there is so little information out there on this camino, I thought it was worth a mention that Álvaro Lazaga, on his 44th camino, is returning home to Benidorm and has just started the Camino de Uclés. I love his short videos, about 3-4 minutes a day, because they give you a good feel for the terrain and the path itself. And there are always some great personal interactions, he is really, IMO, gifted in how he can bring the camino alive.

As a result of great team work between Peregrina2000, KinkyOne and Canuck, it's a pleasure to publish an English version of the Camino de Uclés guide book or information booklet.

The document is open to comments and suggestions.

Hoping that this will generate interest in this camino which deserves to be better known.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc
Thank you for this! Thinking of Uclés to Madrid, then Camino Madrid to Sahagún, CF to León, San Salvador, then Primitivo into SdC. Sounds like it might take 5-6 weeks?

Thank you for this! Thinking of Uclés to Madrid, then Camino Madrid to Sahagún, CF to León, San Salvador, then Primitivo into SdC. Sounds like it might take 5-6 weeks?
For me, just about 6 weeks would be minimum.
6-7 days from Uclés to Madrid, 2 weeks from Madrid to Sahagún (I took longer, but I also took several detours), a few days to Leon and then 3 weeks on the Salvador and Primitivo (you could shave a couple of days from that, but I really liked the 6-day San Salvador with a stop at Bendueños).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m casting around for my next walks and I like to keep a ‘long’ and a ‘short’ option in-play. So the Ucles looks like an option for the next time this year I’ve got just a week available.

Manuel at the Amigos is very helpful. After a short exchange on email then WhatsApp I’m now equipped with T-shirt (which I might grow into), bandanna and credencial.

I’m not yet sure whether to go east to west (Camino de Santiago desde Ucles) or west to east (Camino de Ucles). My inclination is to get the difficult public transport out of the way first and travel from Madrid to Ucles before starting walking.

In the Autonomous Community of Madrid you are mostly on a via verde trail, which is a bike trail, which is paved. Approaching Estremera and the section in the Province of Cuenca, you get your fill of dirt trails.

Most, if not all, of the towns en route have at least one bar with simple food.
One option, if accommodation is not available, is to use the excellent public transport and shuttle back and forth (Arganda, Morata, Perales... all have fairly frequent buses back to Madrid). Once you cross into Cuenca Province, this option is not viable. Likewise, Uclés itself does not have great public transport and you will most likely have to connect in another town, assuming you are heading back to Madrid.

It's an interesting route, but perhaps not as much as the Camino de Madrid.Uclés.PNG

Attachments

• Uclés2.PNG
    Uclés2.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • Uclés3.PNG
    Uclés3.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Thanks for that.

There seems to basically one bus per day into Ucles and that requires a connection from Madrid, thus my view that I might as well get to Ucles by whatever means then start walking towards Madrid when the transport and accommodation options improve significantly.

I’ll reiterate that Manuel seems tremendously helpful and prepared to facilitate access to otherwise unstaffed refugios en-route.

I understand Ucles to be a significant location with respect to Sant Iago.

I’ve walked the CdMadrid, using your guidebook if I remember correctly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for that.

There seems to basically one bus per day into Ucles and that requires a connection from Madrid, thus my view that I might as well get to Ucles by whatever means then start walking towards Madrid when the transport and accommodation options improve significantly.

I’ll reiterate that Manuel seems tremendously helpful and prepared to facilitate access to otherwise unstaffed refugios en-route.

I understand Ucles to be a significant location with respect to Sant Iago.

I’ve walked the CdMadrid, using your guidebook if I remember correctly.
Sounds like a plan, here's the public transport options provided by the Town Hall
Tarancón is where you connect to and from Madrd.

Yes, Uclés was the Order of Santiago's HQ for over 600 years.

Starting in Uclés, you'll be following yellow arrows towards Madrid.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.