• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook Format

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi all, it's been over 5 years since I walked the CF and my Brierley's looking suitably tired and out of date (an omen?😄).
Planning on doing a sizable chunk of the CF later this year and want to update my guide book.
Question is, kindle version or physical book?
Any thoughts/experiences of what would be the 'better' option appreciated.
Thanks👍. . and Buen Camino🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all, it's been over 5 years since I walked the CF and my Brierley's looking suitably tired and out of date (an omen?😄).
Planning on doing a sizable chunk of the CF later this year and want to update my guide book.
All you need is a pair of open eyes and Gronze on your phone.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I second and highly recommend the Wise Pilgrim guide books. They are sized to fit a cargo pocket. The print face can be a tad tiny for some. I always bring an inexpensive, plastic, pocket magnifying glass.

I find these pocket magnifying glasses inexpensively on Amazon by the bunch. At nearly 70 years old, I find salting them around the house and in the car is a wise investment (no pun intended).

Plus, the (separately available) Wise Pilgrim apps are far better than just about any other app out there. No magnifier needed for those, because you can pinch zoom them on your smart phone.

On balance, the Wise apps on your phone are my recommended way to go as they add zero weight to your carry load. However, if you are a purist who prefers paper, then I highly recommend the Wise Pilgrim printed guides.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's interesting isn't it; the one thing that always occurs on the forum is that there is no 'one size fits all' 😅

I have used and like the Brierly guides but my preference now is to carry a paper Village to Village guide and use a Wise Pilgrim app on my phone. I find the Village to Village very handy when planning, both before I leave and as I walk from place to place. It's now covered in pencil marks and notes so is also a memento! The Wise Pilgrim app I really like and use for reassuring me about where I am and checking which route alternative and current information about accommodation options. I particularly like the comments left by users and tried to leave my own as I went.

During 2020 I did a virtual Camino de Santiago having ordered 3 different guide books from Ivar. It was a great opportunity to compare and contrast without having to carry the weight!! I had a lot of fun choosing my virtual accommodation too. Not a single bed bug bite ;)

You are, of course, correct. Everyone does their own Camino in the end. Mine is NOT to tell you the only or best way. That is for each pilgrim to discern for themselves. My role is to provide what I hope is helpful and useful information to others.

Over time, the preferred means of navigating and obtaining useful information have settled out. Yes, Brierely is among the best. He was formerly THE best. In the past six to eight years the Wise Pilgrim Guides have developed and evolved into a very useful set of apps and guides. Their utility seems to broaden with each update and annual revision.

Over the years, several other guides and apps have come along that provide as good or - in some cases - better information to the pilgrim. I am waiting for a multi-lingual Gronze app, fused with a good mapping program. Their lodging information is among the very best. But, having it only available in Spanish is a limitation. Over time, people have developed clever work arounds - I have.

In my experience, the Wise Pilgrim Guides currently offer the best fusion of information and navigation. This said, everyone has their personal preference. I merely state mine here for what it might be worth to others.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Tom, I walked with the Camino Ninja app in Portugal last year, and was planning on using it again. But after the sad passing of the guy who developed and updated it, was looking for alternatives. I have a sort of loyalty to John Brierly guides as it got me through my first Camino. Will check out the Wise Pilgrim app though. Thanks again👍

I used the Buen Camino App last year on the Aragones and liked it. It is also in Spanish, but that was not a problem for me.

Edit: I see you can choose your language now. There are several routes on this app to choose from.

Last edited:
I walked with the Camino Ninja app in Portugal last year, and was planning on using it again.
You can still use the Camino Ninja app for the GPS, and I would imagine that little of the other information has changed.
I like the Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps - I use both, along with Gronze.com. I have never used a physical guidebook.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On our first 2016 Camino, we read our Brierly every night for the next day. Phil would make a little slip of paper each night of the km to each town or intersection so he could reference it throughout the day without pulling out the book. He also had WisePilgrim's App, but that was in 2016 and he didn't use it that much. I also used the Yellow German book in 2016 as it was a very precise guide with excellent directions electronically on Kindle.

Now we use an App to give us an estimate of how far we have gone and how much further to go. If we have internet, we also use Gronze.com to look at reviews and photos of different albergues.

Thanks for that - do you still carry a JB Guide as well as using the app? Just curious. . .

Thanks for that - do you still carry a JB Guide as well as using the app? Just curious. . .
I think I would for a Camino other than the CF, but we are pretty familiar with the CF now. I did buy the new Kindle version to read on my phone now in case I want to read something about the route, but with the availability of books and Apps on my phone, we only read the hard copy at home now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For some guidebooks, an "update" means changing the year on the cover. The 2016 Michelin version did not list the twenty-year-old albergue I volunteered in, but it did list the one in the same village that had been non-existent for many years.

Thanks Tom, I walked with the Camino Ninja app in Portugal last year, and was planning on using it again. But after the sad passing of the guy who developed and updated it, was looking for alternatives. I have a sort of loyalty to John Brierly guides as it got me through my first Camino. Will check out the Wise Pilgrim app though. Thanks again👍
I am on my way late April on the Camino. Frances and have not been able to find the NINJA app? Is it no longer available? I am looking for a planning app and resources on available lodging and interesting stops. ANy recommendations? Thanks

I am on my way late April on the Camino. Frances and have not been able to find the NINJA app? Is it no longer available?
The creator of the app passed away, so it's no longer available.

You can use Wise Pilgrim or Buen Camino apps.

Additionally, Godesalco is a good site for planning stages

And Gronze has information about the route and accommodations.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is it ok if I flip the script?

As the maker of physical books and electronic guides, I am all ears when it comes to making the types of changes that pilgrims are looking for. Many of them are obvious because I am a pilgrim that uses my own guide and so I know what I want. Others less so.

I have a short list of features that I am working on, and a long wish list of content I would like to add, but what do YOU want to get out of a guide/app? What is missing, or what is not working?

I am here to help pilgrims and hospitaleros and whatever changes make that happen I am happy to entertain!

Hi Frank and all!!
I brought the 2022 Kindle version off Amazon!
Had issues with my assistive tech so got a refund!
On Kindle i have the Village to Village (i like this one) and Sandy Browns Camino Frances guides (downloaded all his GPX tracks onto OSMAND+ this is the track i will follow) both on my phone and my 8 inch tab!
Both work without any problems.

WisePilgrim is a great app on my phone i used on the Portuguese and i am taking it on the Frances!
Layout is so easy to follow with lots of additional info and reviews of bars/cafes and accommodation plus where available whatsapp contacts! My assistive tech deals better with this app than others.

None of these add any weight.
I bought the Kindle version this year, but on my phone the print is very small and there is no way to enlarge the font. I didn't plan to take my Kindle this time although I have in some past trips when I took no phone. It is heavier than the paperback edition.

For all you guys that find any of these or any other guide book hard to read because of font size or contrast bright sun on the screen etc!

There are apps on Google Play for Android called Google Talkback, Android Accessibility Suite and Android Accessibility Menu similar apps on Appstore.

This doesn't mean you have to be sight impaired to use them; they will just make it easier for you.

The Kindle app on devices allows you to customise the book by changing font size, style,reading preferences etc
With the above your device will if you double tap top left of screen it give you a menu, double tap top of page to read it aloud (choose current page which i use or continuous reading;which is a pain cos you cant remember it all) allow a high contrast colour inverted screen,enhanced magnification from a shortcut or triple tap and more.
The video below will give you an idea;if you move your phone /tab to a horizontal/landscape position the text gets bigger but obviously show less of what you want unless you scroll. As i cant read mine is set to announce everything in the back ground.

So if you guys have issues with small print; they say where there's a will there's a way and there is:)
Hope this helps somebody;don't be put off by the length of the post it takes about five minutes to set up!
Woody

Attachments

• KINDLE TALKBACK.mp4
    18.9 MB

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back