• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook from Lisbon to Porto

peregrina2000

Staff member
If only this were in English, I could get out of the business of keeping the guide up to date. ;) But even if you don't read Portuguese, the maps and info re elevation gain may be useful. Actually, this website, dedicated to the Caminho Central (Lisbon to Porto, I think) is chock full of information.

http://caminhocentralasantiago.blogspot.com/p/guia-caminho-central.html
There is also a Spanish language version for those of you who read Spanish.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
According to you would be better to follow the costal route or the "normal" one, going from Lisbon to Porto?

Have you done it? what was it like? =)

Thanks +

Luca

There is not really a "coastal. From Lisbon to Porto.
The Coastal leads from Porto to Santiago

You can follow two routes out of Porto. One direction Maia-airport Vilarinho to São Pedro de Rates .you walk in a very busy area with not a walkers friendly infrastructure alongside busy roads on the hardshoulder, heavy traffic touching you almost and cobblestone streets.

The other one is following the Duero river out of Porto to the Atlantic ocean and on to Matosinhos from where you follow a relaxed boardwalk alomgside the beach Direction Vila do Conde. From there you can go either follow the waymarkers to Sāo Pedro de Rates and follow the interior caminho Portugues to Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho /Tuí. Or head for Póvoa da Varzím and Esposende to Viana do Castelo and Caminha alongside the coast where you can choose either walk on to Valença do Minho on the interior route or take the ferry in Caminha and head on to a Guarda, Oia ,Baiona and Vigo to Redondela where you hit the interior route again direction Santiago.
If you like the social side of the caminho choose the interior route-don't forget to stay at Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piaës between Barcelos and Ponte deLima. Here you meet other pilgrims and it is a great place to stay.

If you like peace and quietness, go for the coastal caminho and if you get fed up with it after some "lonely"days you allways can hit the interior somewhere as mentioned above. Have your map or google maps ready to find all the places I described.
Bom caminho

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes, there is a Senda Litoral from Lisbon to Porto and from Porto further to Santiago.
But you need maps and i don´t know how well it is way marked.
You can start from the Sé Cathedral in Lisbon and walk towards west Cascais and continue with maps.

I don´t know so much more....
Below some maps:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-03-02 19.23.15.png
    Screenshot 2015-03-02 19.23.15.png
    445.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2015-03-02 19.26.57.png
    Screenshot 2015-03-02 19.26.57.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2015-03-02 19.28.55.png
    Screenshot 2015-03-02 19.28.55.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 6
Yes, there is a Senda Litoral from Lisbon to Porto and from Porto further to Santiago.
You can start from the Sé Cathedral in Lisbon and walk towards west Cascais and continue with maps.

Below some maps:

Annie, The walk from Lisbon to Cascais would not be a pleasant one for much of the trip. There´s a busy highway right next to the beach the whole way out. And once you get to Cascais, the map shows a very small amount of coastal walking, and it´s mainly on the long stretch of beach north of Cascais. There are marked headlands trails along much of that section near Sintra, but given the geography you would wind back and forth and back and forth and not get very far in a day.

Are you planning to try that? If so, I can try to get more information on those headland routes, but I really think it would not be a great idea. Bom caminho, Laurie

Below some maps:
Okay. Annie. I saw this before We travelled around from Nazaré to Aveiro and never saw any pilgrims, waymarkers.Indeed with a detailed map you come to your destination but lack of pilgrim friendly facilities comes the question "is it worthwhile "?
Better walk the wellknown and waymarked route is my opinion.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
i would really like to do this trip, beside to the sea (from Lisbon to Porto) just because i love have the sea near to me -it's like having a friend. But if you tell me that could be dangerous, i can change my plan of course.

i would really like to do this trip, beside to the sea (from Lisbon to Porto) just because i love have the sea near to me -it's like having a friend. But if you tell me that could be dangerous, i can change my plan of course.
Dangerous ? I don't know.... It is inconveniant... It is a long way around, you need good maps to find your way. From Porto you can walk as far as Vigo with the ocean at your left side.

As I once I mentioned this forum there is a marked path from Estoril to Fatima. I do not know if the markup is well made, but there is no accommodation for pilgrims.

http://movimentocaminhosperegrinos.blogspot.pt/search/label/Caminho do Mar

http://www.forumbtt.net/showthread.php?51722-Caminho-do-Mar-Estoril-a-F%E1tima

Track:
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=aoqcngtbjihdbxvp

Notice:
"Already marked almost entirely the new Sea Way (Caminho do Mar)
Begins on the church of Estoril to Fatima Church and reach through Cascais, Guincho, Sintra, Mafra, Torres Novas, Bombarral, Obidos, Caldas da Rainha, Alcobaça, Batalha and Porto de Mós.
The parties that are not marked in Mafra and Alcobaça are near the monuments. If you take the track is resolved."

AMSimoes

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back