• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook help please! Starting Friday!

Fifibelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norde July 2016
Hello folks!

I've just gone wild and booked a flight for Biarritz to start the Camino Del Norte on FRIDAY 22nd! It's my first camino and I'm excited/nervous and massively underprepared. So far I've thankfully got two good feet and a stick, but no guidebook and I fear I won't get one in the post in time.

Does anyone know if I can buy a decent map/book in Irún? (or Hendaye?) Recommendations would be much appreciated too please, especially if aware of any versions in English!

Many many thanks in advance.

Ps: Does anyone know if Ryanair lets you carry on a big staff//stick???!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can't help with the guide book but Ryanair do NOT allow hiking poles/staffs into the cabin - you'll have to check it in (expensive) or ditch it:

8.10 Prohibited articles

8.10.1 Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles in airport security restricted areas and the cabin of an aircraft:

8.10.1.2 Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, cleavers, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, knives with blades of more than 6 cms including lockable or flick knives, ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades more than 6 cms as measured from the fulcrum, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cms that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g.drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, chisels, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches.

(My bold highlights)

Hello folks!

I've just gone wild and booked a flight for Biarritz to start the Camino Del Norte on FRIDAY 22nd! It's my first camino and I'm excited/nervous and massively underprepared. So far I've thankfully got two good feet and a stick, but no guidebook and I fear I won't get one in the post in time.

Does anyone know if I can buy a decent map/book in Irún? (or Hendaye?) Recommendations would be much appreciated too please, especially if aware of any versions in English!

I used the "Northern Caminos" book when I hiked the Norte. There is a new 2015 edition out. You can download it via Kindle. I found the earlier version very reliable!

For a map, I am sure there is a decent App out there too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For Apps, there is "The Way of St James Pro" that looks legit. You can download the "Norte" route for $5.

Ha.

That was me . . . . "massively underprepared". It's going to work out fine and your lack of preparations will mostly add to the fun. It did for me.

The only "guide" that I had was a download of ~

http://tourism.euskadi.eus/contenid...os/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf

Which i put on my iPhone.

It was a sufficient (just barely) daily planner.

As the saying goes though the best thing you can do is befriend a German. They have the best guides. But in any event, soon enough you'll just end up in the flow of the thing.

My one word of council would be to make sure that you are rock solid on your accommodations in Irun/Hendaya, and also in San Sebastian. The albergue situation is probably a bit more complicated than what you anticipate and will clear itself up as you go, but you will eliminate some unnecessary anxiety if you lock down nights one and two. . . . . or not.

Beautiful walk, that.

Ha.

That was me . . . . "massively underprepared". It's going to work out fine and your lack of preparations will mostly add to the fun. It did for me.

The only "guide" that I had was a download of ~

http://tourism.euskadi.eus/contenidos/recurso_tecnico/aa30_folletos/en_def/folletos/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf

Which i put on my iPhone.

It was a sufficient (just barely) daily planner.

As the saying goes though the best thing you can do is befriend a German. They have the best guides. But in any event, soon enough you'll just end up in the flow of the thing.

My one word of council would be to make sure that you are rock solid on your accommodations in Irun/Hendaya, and also in San Sebastian. The albergue situation is probably a bit more complicated than what you anticipate and will clear itself up as you go, but you will eliminate some unnecessary anxiety if you lock down nights one and two. . . . . or not.

Beautiful walk, that.

"The best thing you can do is befriend a German." That is hilarious! Yes, they seem to have a great guidebook because some German comedian put the Camino Norte on the map for them. Again, I recommend "The Northern Caminos" by by dave whitson and laura Perazzoli. Downloadable from Amazon

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can't help with the guide book but Ryanair do NOT allow hiking poles/staffs into the cabin - you'll have to check it in (expensive) or ditch it:

8.10 Prohibited articles

8.10.1 Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles in airport security restricted areas and the cabin of an aircraft:

8.10.1.2 Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, cleavers, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, knives with blades of more than 6 cms including lockable or flick knives, ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades more than 6 cms as measured from the fulcrum, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cms that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g.drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, chisels, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches.

(My bold highlights)
For some reason, this has made me giggle out loud....all these sharp objects...who would have thought.

Hello folks!

Hi fifibelle! You made me smile as until reading your post, I felt totally unprepared and I'm not starting until September.... I love your style!

I downloaded the 'A Wise Pilgrim' Guide on my iPhone and it looks really helpful, with an online map of the route that you can trace, elevation map, details of albergues and hotels etc. They have an android version too

Here's the link: http://wisepilgrim.com

Good luck and have fun.. I look forward to hearing of your progress

Pete

I bought 'The Northern Camino' as an ebook and wise pilgrims guide app and they were a great combination. If you're going to only buy one, (and you're taking a smartphone) I'd recommend the app as the map is really helpful when the markers aren't clear - if you bring the map up when you're in wifi you can use it all day without Internet, it just uses your phones gps.
Buen Camino!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My one word of council would be to make sure that you are rock solid on your accommodations in Irun/Hendaya, and also in San Sebastian.

What is the problem with accommodation in Irun/Hendaye? We (two of us) will arrive Irun late afternoon and plan to stay at the Albergue, which does not accept reservations. As it will be late September and the Albergue has 48 beds we thought accommodation would be no problem. Are we missing something? Be grateful for your comment.

What is the problem with accommodation in Irun/Hendaye? We (two of us) will arrive Irun late afternoon and plan to stay at the Albergue, which does not accept reservations. As it will be late September and the Albergue has 48 beds we thought accommodation would be no problem. Are we missing something? Be grateful for your comment.

I do not suggest that there is "a problem" with accommodations in Irun/Henday, because the "problem" was not with either of those fine towns, but was with me!

The thread is based in large part on the notion of "unpreparedness", something I am quite expert at. I do not not know if you can ever be as unprepared as I was when I began my Northern Camino in early October . . . . shortly later than it looks like you will begin yours. In a way though , I wish you could be, because, for the most part, it added to my fun.

That said, if I were to do it over again, I would have a much more certain plan for where to stay in Hendaye, Irun and for that matter San Sebastian. After that, it just gets easier: it did for me anyway.

My experience was that I arrived in Hendaye on the train mid-afternoon (additional evidence of my unpreparedness is that I booked my train travel in the station at Bordeaux to the first station in Hendaye rather than the second - which is the town center). I did have a room booked at the Hotel Campanile in Hendaye, which i eventually got to and did fully enjoy. My plan was to do day one from there, picking up a passport & compestela stamp at the Iglesia de los Pasionistas . . . . which was closed when I got there. The backup plan was to get the paperwork and get going from the somewhat hard to find Irún Albergue de Peregrines. When I got there, it too was closed - for the season as I recall.

I did not have a plan C.

However, with much inefficiency, wasted steps and general bumbling, I did make it to the Albergue Martindozenea Juvenil, which was quite nice, had plenty of capacity and I can highly recommend. However they too had n0 passports and by the time I got there it was around noon and they too would not open for a while and there was no way that I would make it to San Sebastian before dark even if I knew how to - which I most certainly did not. So I bagged it, cooled my jets, waited for the albergue to open, signed in and vowed to restart the next morning better prepared. I spend the rest of that afternoon buying food and Compeed and figuring out how to find and follow the Camino through and out of town. For me this took some doing as I only had a minimal map/guide. But it is figure-out-able!

The next morning, I relaunched successfully. By that, I mean that I knew specifically how to get out of town and on the trail towards San Sebastian. My arrow finding vision had yet to fully engage, but it would soon.

Once I got to San Sebastian though, I was flummoxed anew! Yeah! I thought that it would be painfully obvious where the albergues were. It was and is not. Because of this, I walked clear through town and somewhat past it without successfully landing in a place to stay for the night or get a passport. A further series of misadventures ensued with which I will not bore you. Eventually though, I did find and secure a bed at Albergue Onderreta Juvenil, which I also highly recommend. I got a passport and a stamp there. The important point is that I had no idea where it was in town before I arrived. In retrospect, I wish that I did.

These two days, humbled me greatly and prepared me for the surrender and beauty that I was then able to experience. Things also went logistically much better for me but I cared less that they did . . . . or would.

I'm not sure that everyone needs to go through the mess (of my own making) that I did however.

So, no fault of the towns, or anyone other than me. I just thought the start would be easier and more obvious than it was for me.

Buen Camino! Autumn is an awesome walk. I wish you and your fellow pilgrims all kinds of surprises and revelations.

The thread is based in large part on the notion of "unpreparedness",

Hi Jiniowa,
Many thanks for the response. Our planning is that we'll stay at the albergue in Irun. As we arrive latish in the afternoon, I think we'll take contact details of a suitable hotel to serve as plan B. We've booked a hotel in San Sebastian, mostly because we want to be close to the city. The rest of the plan is to take every day as it comes - much like most peregrinos.
Donovan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.