• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook Publishing Dates?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi,

With 'only' 225 sleeps to go till our next Camino, I'm starting to re-read guidebooks and think about where we might stay this time. Whilst I am happy to just 'wing it' I need to be prepared like a Camino Encyclopedia if my dearly beloved says. Can we stop in an hour, is there a village up ahead. Or 'look' a sign to........ is that a nice place to stay?

Snap answers are required here folks, no fumbling for a Guidebook! I thought you walked here in 2015........You should know! Get the picture? ;)

And before you say it......

Yes I know Guidebooks are ONLY a guide :rolleyes:
And Yes, Don't plan too far ahead because plans will only last a day :oops:
And....Don't stay at Brierley 'end of stage' stopping points :eek:
etc etc....

I like to take a couple of Guidebooks with me for evening 'next day' planning, and it makes sense to have the most up to date.
I use Brierley and Miam Miam Dodo.
Does anyone know roughly what month updates tend to get published?
I have 2014 versions........

Now I confess that I don't actually 'carry' the Guidebooks.
I scan them and have them on my phone.
Though I do cut out the front cover of Brierley to have a hard copy of just the stage maps.
I jot notes on that.

Brierley I like for the:

1. Clear stage maps showing distances' fonts, village amenities etc.
  2. Elevation map that also gives distances to the next villages.
I don't really use much else of it. Sometimes reading the commentary on places to visit etc.

Miam Miam Dodo I use for:
  1. The accommodation listings. That's it.
The maps are awful! The colours/shading used, at least in my old one, make the maps almost impossible to read.

So I'm looking forward to updating them both, but not just yet if new ones might be published in the coming months. Like before mid March.

Any idea of publishing dates?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi,
Whilst I am happy to just 'wing it' I need to be prepared like a Camino Encyclopedia if my dearly beloved says. Can we stop in an hour, is there a village up ahead. Or 'look' a sign to........ is that a nice place to stay?
Snap answers are required here folks, no fumbling for a Guidebook! I thought you walked here in 2015........You should know! Get the picture?

It must be very trying for you to be having an affair with my wife from that distance away.;)

Hi,

With 'only' 225 sleeps to go till our next Camino, I'm starting to re-read guidebooks and think about where we might stay this time. Whilst I am happy to just 'wing it' I need to be prepared like a Camino Encyclopedia if my dearly beloved says. Can we stop in an hour, is there a village up ahead. Or 'look' a sign to........ is that a nice place to stay?

Snap answers are required here folks, no fumbling for a Guidebook! I thought you walked here in 2015........You should know! Get the picture? ;)

etc etc....

I like to take a couple of Guidebooks with me for evening 'next day' planning, and it makes sense to have the most up to date.

Though I do cut out the front cover of Brierley to have a hard copy of just the stage maps.
I jot notes on that.

Brierley I like for the:

I don't really use much else of it. Sometimes reading the commentary on places to visit etc.

The maps are awful! The colours/shading used, at least in my old one, make the maps almost impossible to read.

So I'm looking forward to updating them both, but not just yet if new ones might be published in the coming months. Like before mid March.

Hi, Robo,
Have you taken a look at @wisepilgrim's guide to the Francés? I think it's got good maps, great info, and is very up to date. You can get it from Ivar, of course. ;) https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...oducts/wise-pilgrim-guides-the-camino-frances

You are so lucky that your other half likes the camino. Mine thinks it's a punishment. :eek:

Wishing you a buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are so lucky that your other half likes the camino. Mine thinks it's a punishment. :eek:
Laurie

I'm not sure I would use the word 'like' :oops:

It generally requires a bit of bribery to get her to the start point.
Fancy handbags seem to work....to be 'shopped for' post Camino ;)

Once underway......as long as I act as Guide, Translator, Laundry Guy, First Aider, Wardrobe Assistant, Bag Packer, Food Taster and Photographer Extraordinaire (i.e. make me look good in the photo...or else) things generally get better as we go along :D

This was after 7 days.......getting into the zone :)
If not clear at one point, she talks about her 'Wound'. It's the accent ;)

It's on the RECORD! 800 kms next time!

Last edited:
I haven't seen a lot of guidebooks, but what I've seen makes it seem that an "update" means they changed the year on the cover. How many of them still claim there is a parroquial albergue in Villamayor de Monjardín? The roof collapsed LONG ago, but it had been closed long before that.
I really like the style of the Michelin Guide, but it does have the "update" problem I mentioned, even on pages that have room for new ones. (Each page has only room to mention maybe six alojamientos. How do they decide which ones to leave out?)

IMG_0225.jpg
Hi,

etc etc....

I jot notes on that.

Brierley I like for the:

Last one was published in January 2017 while his maps only was updated in Feb 2017. Sounds like a new one will come out before you leave again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.