• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook suggestion?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one that weighs the least would be the best to carry.

Other factors to consider would be size and whether or not it repels water.

It really depends on what you need from your guidebook. Really, you could walk very easily without any guide at all. The trail is well marked, towns are frequent, and you would be just fine. But if you want to know history of towns you're in and what there is to do in various places, that's something to think about. I had a basic guidebook downloaded on a Kindle that had distances between towns and information/prices on each albergue in each town. I was glad to have it, it was just what I needed. Like I said, just depends on what you personally want from a book!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree you can walk without a guide book. I chose not to because I wanted to have information about each village, church and bridge as I walked along the way. That enhanced my experience. And I did the unthinkable, I carried two guidebooks (please no comments from the weight Nazis). I carried Brierley (like everybody else) and a new book A Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino de Santiago, Camino Francés: St. Jean - Santiago - Finisterre by Anna Dintaman and David Landis. I took Dintaman and Landis along because they identified way more sleeping arrangements than Brierley. I did not regret carrying both books even though somebody is going to do "the math" and tell me that I carried the equivalent of 967,543 extra pounds to Santiago on my knees. Again, I do not regret the decision.

As above it doesn't really matter, a guidebook will help plan will show alternative routes and show albergues to stop. Having said that, ignore the recommended stops and distances, everybody and his brother will be there - stop just before (the better idea) or a bit after whatever the book recommends and you will find life a lot easier in finding lodging. You may have to walk a "short" day to set this up a "long" one will work too but in the end you will save yourself a lot of grief.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It really depends on what you need from your guidebook. Really, you could walk very easily without any guide at all. The trail is well marked, towns are frequent, and you would be just fine. But if you want to know history of towns you're in and what there is to do in various places, that's something to think about. I had a basic guidebook downloaded on a Kindle that had distances between towns and information/prices on each albergue in each town. I was glad to have it, it was just what I needed. Like I said, just depends on what you personally want from a book!
Thanks!

I agree you can walk without a guide book. I chose not to because I wanted to have information about each village, church and bridge as I walked along the way. That enhanced my experience. And I did the unthinkable, I carried two guidebooks (please no comments from the weight Nazis). I carried Brierley (like everybody else) and a new book A Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino de Santiago, Camino Francés: St. Jean - Santiago - Finisterre by Anna Dintaman and David Landis. I took Dintaman and Landis along because they identified way more sleeping arrangements than Brierley. I did not regret carrying both books even though somebody is going to do "the math" and tell me that I carried the equivalent of 967,543 extra pounds to Santiago on my knees. Again, I do not regret the decision.
'will check the Dintamin/Landis book before deciding...thanks!

As above it doesn't really matter, a guidebook will help plan will show alternative routes and show albergues to stop. Having said that, ignore the recommended stops and distances, everybody and his brother will be there - stop just before (the better idea) or a bit after whatever the book recommends and you will find life a lot easier in finding lodging. You may have to walk a "short" day to set this up a "long" one will work too but in the end you will save yourself a lot of grief.
Thank you for verifying a strategy we had thought to employ!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Beth-o,
I'm not sure where you're writing from and is it the Camino Francés for you? There's good advice above. Also, there are inexpensive Confraternity of St James (www.csj.org.uk) guides for most routes. They have annual updates, with all the necessary info about refuges/albergues, distances and alternative-routes, and the names, tel. numbers and prices of many hostels (inexpensive guesthouse-hotels). Brierley guides are also excellent, with less detail, but good maps (no maps in the CSJ guides, but they aren't needed, unless you want to strike out on your own 'shortcut' in some places). I'm a devil for minimalising as much as I can, so I copy the colour maps from Brierley, and retype the CSJ notes in small print (!) on back-to-back pages--all the info I need in a thin plastic folder in my belly-bag, with an extra copy on my kindle or emailed to myself).
Buen camino.

Hahahaha,
I will look for the Dintaman and Landi s book. Thanks for the redommendation.

These days, there is a lot of information available online. One option (if you want to invest the time) is to copy-and-paste details on the sites of interest and take them with you on your mobile phone / iPad. For example, some good sites include:

Mundicamino: www.mundicamino.com (Spanish-language site but with a Google Translate option)
Eroski: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/ (another Spanish-language site with Google Translate option)
Caminopedia: www.caminopedia.com (English-language resource - currently only covering the Camino Frances)

(disclosure: I'm part of the team maintaining Caminopedia -- our copyright terms explicitly allow you to copy-and-paste any/all of our content for your personal use; I'm not sure of the terms for the other sites.).

Mundicamino and Eroski both cover multiple Camino routes, not just the Camino Frances, and the quality of information is pretty good. Caminopedia is new (launched in December) and has excellent quality information but it isn't as broad as the other sites -- especially for historical-type information (it's being added steadily, but it is a slow process).

While this involves a bit of effort on your part, there are some notable benefits:

1. No additional weight. Not only is this easier on your back, but the 'weight Nazis' (to use Robert's term) will leave you alone! :)
2. More functional: can be searched, edited, notes / additional content can be added, and so on.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used the Rothers guide annd it was great. Good historical content and also distance and albergue information. Also had key points of interest in towns and cities. I have recently bought the new edition for my next Camino.

I used the Rothers guide annd it was great. Good historical content and also distance and albergue information. Also had key points of interest in towns and cities. I have recently bought the new edition for my next Camino.
H-m-m Rothers...Thank you!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My pleasure. The Rothers is a nice small book, and I tore (reluctantly) out pages as I went to make it even lighter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...I did the unthinkable, I carried two guidebooks (please no comments from the weight Nazis). I carried Brierley (like everybody else) and a new book A Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino de Santiago, Camino Francés: St. Jean - Santiago - Finisterre by Anna Dintaman and David Landis...

I had the best of both worlds: I walked with my wife -- she carried the Dintaman and I carried the Brierley. While either will do by itself, the two complement each other very well, with one filling in the gaps that the other may not cover as well. A compromise for someone walking alone may be to carry the Dintaman and the thinner Brierley maps only book. I totally agree with the suggestion made by others to get "off stage" as soon as possible. And while I have nothing against the municipal albergues, we found that we enjoyed the smaller private or association albergues more -- especially the ones that provided in-house meals.

Buen Camino,
Jim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These days, there is a lot of information available online. One option (if you want to invest the time) is to copy-and-paste details on the sites of interest and take them with you on your mobile phone / iPad. For example, some good sites include:

Mundicamino: www.mundicamino.com (Spanish-language site but with a Google Translate option)
Eroski: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/ (another Spanish-language site with Google Translate option)
Caminopedia: www.caminopedia.com (English-language resource - currently only covering the Camino Frances)

(disclosure: I'm part of the team maintaining Caminopedia -- our copyright terms explicitly allow you to copy-and-paste any/all of our content for your personal use; I'm not sure of the terms for the other sites.).

Mundicamino and Eroski both cover multiple Camino routes, not just the Camino Frances, and the quality of information is pretty good. Caminopedia is new (launched in December) and has excellent quality information but it isn't as broad as the other sites -- especially for historical-type information (it's being added steadily, but it is a slow process).

While this involves a bit of effort on your part, there are some notable benefits:

1. No additional weight. Not only is this easier on your back, but the 'weight Nazis' (to use Robert's term) will leave you alone! :)
2. More functional: can be searched, edited, notes / additional content can be added, and so on.

Municamino allows you to select your language.. it is very easy to navigate because of this.

I wish I had a euro for each time a fellow pilgrim told me my pack was way too heavy on my first Camino. It's not like I was asking any of them to carry it for me!

And yes, I am fully aware if I cut the end off my toothbrush I can save .03 micrograms of weight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wish I had a euro for each time a fellow pilgrim told me my pack was way too heavy on my first Camino. It's not like I was asking any of them to carry it for me!

Absolutely. It's more the comfort and fit of the pack rather than the weight that in many ways makes for a less troublesome Camino. On my first attempt at the Frances I used a Tatonka pack and even though it was only about 7.5 kg it felt uncomfortable and heavy. On my second Camino that turned out to be a lot more successful, I switched to a Berghaus 35+7 and weighed it at about 8.5 kg + water, but it was so comfortable and such a good fit that I barely noticed it and didn't feel the weight.

As for a guidebook, I had the Brierley and for the miniscule weight, it was well well worth it. Distances, suggestions, meditations, numbers, restaurant tips, writing space...well worth carrying.

I have walked with JW's Ingles Guide, The Finisterre information provided by the Tourist Office in SDC, and the Brierley Frances guide. I have, like most succeeded in managing a few "detours". Usually when I am alone and in a world of my own, but I am equally capable of cocking it up when engrossed in conversation with other earthly beings. I found when walking and seeing the different guides carried by others that they sometimes have different routes and information. In the end I was happy with the town information provided by all my guides. I found Brierley heavy and the maps strange. On reflection when I got lost it would have been handy to have a "proper" (ie north orientated and detailed map, not one with only camino proximity detail). So what have I done? Well I have purchased a Michelin guide to provide the maps as it's quite light and small, and I have also scanned my guides (I now have the Brierley Finisterre one as well) and put them on my phone. I know some people think phones are best left behind, but that's another issue. My phone has a quite large screen (Samsung S4) so I have tried it out as an eBook and it works well. It also has a reasonably decent camera, good enough for my needs. So I am taking it as a multi-function device, saving the bulk and weight of camera/charger, eBook/charger as well as providing the necessary contact with the homeland (my mother is 90). Less to charge or to protect as well. Hope all this is of some use to you.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
camino-santiago-rother-(english)-p-2951.jpg

This are small and with some information. For albergues the best is consumer web page.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You could carry a Brierly guide but you might as well ask Brierly to walk your Camino for you. Consider the early pilgrims whose only guide were the night stars and their faith. The happy medium might be something more like the Michelin guide. Very light weight and was basically sections of the Michelin road atlas specific to the French Route. It gave distances, some elevation charts and names of municipal hostels as well as some of the older privates. I loved it! Just enough info to feel safe but not so much that I was overwhelmed with information.

IMO it is quite unnecessary to have a route map. Accommodation guides are quickly out of date so this information is best downloaded from one of the previously mentioned websites.
What will really enhance your walk is "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago - The Complete Cultural Handbook" by David Gitlitz and Linda Davidson, downloaded on a Kindle App onto a smartphone.
It is an incredibly detailed guide to every single thing you will look at - plus accurate history and quirky interesting information. It's the kind of book that is far to heavy to carry, but with it every church portico, every building, every ruin, will come alive. It is a rich doorway into 1000 years of human experience.

IMO it is quite unnecessary to have a route map. Accommodation guides are quickly out of date so this information is best downloaded from one of the previously mentioned websites.
What will really enhance your walk is "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago - The Complete Cultural Handbook" by David Gitlitz and Linda Davidson, downloaded on a Kindle App onto a smartphone.
It is an incredibly detailed guide to every single thing you will look at - plus accurate history and quirky interesting information. It's the kind of book that is far to heavy to carry, but with it every church portico, every building, every ruin, will come alive. It is a rich doorway into 1000 years of human experience.
Agree, a wonderful book if interested in art & culture, was tempted to carry it in 2009 (common sense prevailed) as no eBook back then.
All your accommodation can be found on a spread sheet on this forum if you want phone numbers etc.
The Pilgrim office in SJPP give you a profile/stage of the route.
But I must admit, I like a map to plot my Café con Leche stops.
My favourite was the Pili Pala (Davies & Cole) no longer updated since 2009.
The Rother Guide (the English version is usually a bit dated, as it seems to be a reprint of an earlier German edition) but is OK for maps & bit's of historical info it provides.
Buen Camino
Colin

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Agree, a wonderful book if interested in art & culture, was tempted to carry it in 2009 (common sense prevailed) as no eBook back then.
All your accommodation can be found on a spread sheet on this forum if you want phone numbers etc.
The Pilgrim office in SJPP give you a profile/stage of the route.
But I must admit, I like a map to plot my Café con Leche stops.
My favourite was the Pili Pala (Davies & Cole) no longer updated since 2009.
The Rother Guide (the English version is usually a bit dated, as it seems to be a reprint of an earlier German edition) but is OK for maps & bit's of historical info it provides.
Buen Camino
Colin
Thank you, Colin!

Good to know...Maybe I'll get it and read it beforehand...Thanks!

You could carry a Brierly guide but you might as well ask Brierly to walk your Camino for you. Consider the early pilgrims whose only guide were the night stars and their faith. The happy medium might be something more like the Michelin guide. Very light weight and was basically sections of the Michelin road atlas specific to the French Route. It gave distances, some elevation charts and names of municipal hostels as well as some of the older privates. I loved it! Just enough info to feel safe but not so much that I was overwhelmed with information.
I do appreciate the comment regarding the pilgrims of old...Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good to know...Maybe I'll get it and read it beforehand...Thanks!
It's really too detailed to read before, it's a reference book, something to consult as you are actually looking at things. As I said, I have downloaded it as an eBook and take it with me that way.
I am now looking for an eBook that is a field guide to plants - something that I've wanted to have but didn't because of weight.

It's really too detailed to read before, it's a reference book, something to consult as you are actually looking at things. As I said, I have downloaded it as an eBook and take it with me that way.
I am now looking for an eBook that is a field guide to plants - something that I've wanted to have but didn't because of weight.
Thank you for the clarification!

Which guidebook is best to carry on the Camino? Bisset or Brierley or another?
I have purchased Gerald Kelly's guide (an e-book) with great information on el Camino Francés ( in English). I also have several apps. The one with flora information is called El camino en GPS ( though it is in Spanish). There is another app with maps (Camino 2.0) that I downloaded for the maps. It too is in Spanish, but the maps are not challenging if you do not read Spanish and they look great. The hubs and I head out the first week in June so none of these are tried or tested. If anyone else has information on their reliability, your comments would be most welcome!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
IMO it is quite unnecessary to have a route map...

This is true, but I happen to be a map freak, so whether I need it or not, I'm going to have at least one map with me ;) Here's another map/basic guidebook option: http://www.pilipalapress.com/mapbook.php The Pili Pala Press main website also has a lot of good information about the Camino in general, although it's mainly oriented to the Camino Francés.
Jim

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.