• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook & tips for walking from La Sauvetat du Dropt

eathotchillies

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Santiago "2002"
Hello hello.
I have been living in Eymet for 2 months now and on a couple of my morning walks I have found Camino signs! Upon further research I found that the Le Chemin de Vezelay goes through La Sauvetat du Dropt - which is how I found this website.

I would love to do a 10 day walk, starting in La Sauvetat and would love any advice possible.

Regarding Guidebooks:
I have been trying to find a guidebook to explain the route, but after numerous phone calls, it seems like the normal guidebook "Itinéraire du pélérin de Saint-Jacques de Compostelle sur la voie historique de Vézelay" is currently out of print and the only one available is "Le Chemin de Vezelay vers Saint-Jacques de Compostella," which I am hoping to buy in Paris in the next days (I am visiting Paris until Monday). Does anyone have experience with this book? It seems like it is a 2009 print. Is there any online place to find maps or updated recent information about accommodation?

Are there Albergues along this route ? I read somewhere that some walkers have found people to stay with - any advice on how to find friends of the camino?

Any advice would be much appreciated! I am hoping to start walking mid July.
Kind regards
Sanja

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are some gîtes on the Vezelay route, but plan on a lot of hôtels and chambres d'hôtel. The guidebook you reference has contacts for the people and organizations that will take you in for the night. The old guide may have obsolete contacts, but they may help you find the new hosts. French will be very useful!

Sanja,

While you are in Paris be sure to visit the famous hiking/camping store complex of Le Vieux Campeur at 48 Rue des Écoles, 75005 Paris. You will find many small specialized shops for boots, backpacks and of course guidebooks and maps in their Cartographie. Ask at any of their shops where to find the Cartographie. Amongst a multitude of treasures for hiking in Nepal, Peru, etc. there will be guides and maps for the Vezelay route.

Also look at this very helpful French site for info regarding family stays/en famille d'accueil along the Vezelay route. >> http://www.vezelay-compostelle.eu/.

Happy research and Bon chemin,

Margaret Meredith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Yellow Guide you're referring to is still on the shopping list of CSJ
Look here
http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... 7.html#vez
if they have it would be wise to get it as you can get the updates on the site of the friends.
We had achance to spend evenings at home of some of the people friends of the Voie de Vezelay and they were some of the most touching experiences we have had on our walks...go for it !!
Should you have more questions just ask
Giorgio

Hi there

I purchased the guide book "Itineraire du Pelerin de Saint-Jacques de Compostelle, Voie Historique de Vezelay" from the CSJ website http://www.csj.org.uk/ (the English Confraternity of St. James) within the last few weeks. It took about two weeks to arrive. It is the 5th edition dated 2011 which seems to be the latest available but I'm not sure. I have not done the route yet and am at present trying to get to grips with the guide which is very extensive and contains a huge amount of info. The only quibble I have is that it does not give any indication of the cost of accommodation in chambres d'hotes, hotels etc. but it does give phone numbers for everything. We really want to do this route, maybe next year so if you do it please post again on this forum and let us know how you get on.
Bon Chemin

Regards, Anna

If you have to ask, you cannot afford it! :D

Just kidding; hotels were reasonably priced, gîtes were five to ten Euro, most stays in homes were donation, and some hosts refused even a donation. I always insisted on giving a payment, suggesting that the host could give it to the Amis or the church. Sometimes it was a real tussle to keep the bills in their hands! They may become less generous if freeloaders and cheapskates are drawn to the route. The hosts were the most interesting folks I have ever met.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much for the tips everyone!
I just checked and I can get the yellow book on the CSJ website - though it is 37 pounds with shipping.
Is this book the better one?
thanks again!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back