• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook to the Mar

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm excited to share that our brand new guidebook to the Camino Inglés and Ruta do Mar has now been released by Cicerone. When Cicerone mentioned that they were interested in splitting the Inglés from the "Northern Caminos" book, I saw it as a golden opportunity to get the Mar in print. I'm still kind of surprised that they went for it! There isn't exactly a ton of demand for the Mar (the last post in this section was by me, some five months ago), but it has such amazing potential.

I wrote a bit more about the Mar in a short article for Cicerone, so if you're unfamiliar with it, check this out: https://www.cicerone.co.uk/ruta-do-mar-linking-the-camino-del-norte-and-camino-ingles

It's important to note that this newest edition won't be available from Amazon US/Canada for a few months still, so North American pilgrims will want to order directly from Cicerone to get it in time for summer: https://www.cicerone.co.uk/the-camino-ingles-and-ruta-do-mar-third. An ebook will be released relatively soon by Cicerone, with a kindle edition coming later.

I'm grateful to all of the pilgrims in this forum that helped me prepare for my first foray on the Mar, and I hope the book (and gpx tracks available as well) help to make it more accessible to others.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:) Good to see it is now ready.

Next idea - Ribadeo to Foz (Ruta do Mar) then Ruta/Camino de Rosendo to Lourenzá/Mondoñedo? :)
Goes through San Martiño de Mondoñedo.

Last edited:
Definitely on the list! I'd like to walk the GR linking Teixido and Betanzos. I definitely need to walk the inland route on the Norte via Vegadeo that bypasses Ribadeo. I'd like to figure out the walk between Llanes and Covadonga to make for a full bypass approach from the Norte. I also want to follow the coast between Deba and Bilbao. There's always more.

In the meantime, though, I'll be walking 7000 miles across the US over the next year, so some other things might get postponed...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd like to figure out the walk between Llanes and Covadonga to make for a full bypass approach from the Norte. ...........
This is the GR route we planned to walk in 2013, then diverted to walk from Arriondas due to the bad weather and lack of accommodation, food etc. Very isolated, little signing but would be a beautiful route for the well equipped and very fit. See 'Walking Around' blog posts for June 2013.
We stayed at the half way point in 2017 in a self catering and walked a short section near Mestas de Ardisana - July 2017. (We had the car that year so ventured onto the Norte and the Salvador for short walks there too.)

My copy just dropped through the letterbox, many thanks: reviving many happy memories of my time on the Mar and the Inglés. Good maps, good pics, excellently concise descriptions of the way and of the facilities en route, and an excellent practical size as well - fits snugly into my back pocket.

If I ever do the Mar again I'll probably continue along the coast on the Camiño dos Faros to Muxía and then on to Santiago.

I just added it to my store as well:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We, like @alansykes are enjoying reading the new guide and reliving our time on the Mar and the Inglés.
The small size is good and light enough to carry when walking. All the variations of route are really good too.
Pleased to see that you have it added to your store @ivar :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Dave. I have just received a comment on my blog from María José who runs the Buenavista hostel in San Cibrao (San Ciprian). She was thanking me for my kind comments about her hostel (much deserved!) She mentioned that there is new signage being marked along the way, so hopefully future pilgrims will have an easier route to follow.

Finally managed to submit a review on Ivar's shop :). Hope it appears OK as ours was a complimentary copy - thanks again @Dave

Edit:- Yes it is there with help from @ivar

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone,

I'm excited to share that our brand new guidebook to the Camino Inglés and Ruta do Mar has now been released by Cicerone. When Cicerone mentioned that they were interested in splitting the Inglés from the "Northern Caminos" book, I saw it as a golden opportunity to get the Mar in print. I'm still kind of surprised that they went for it! There isn't exactly a ton of demand for the Mar (the last post in this section was by me, some five months ago), but it has such amazing potential.

I wrote a bit more about the Mar in a short article for Cicerone, so if you're unfamiliar with it, check this out: https://www.cicerone.co.uk/ruta-do-mar-linking-the-camino-del-norte-and-camino-ingles

It's important to note that this newest edition won't be available from Amazon US/Canada for a few months still, so North American pilgrims will want to order directly from Cicerone to get it in time for summer: https://www.cicerone.co.uk/the-camino-ingles-and-ruta-do-mar-third. An ebook will be released relatively soon by Cicerone, with a kindle edition coming later.

I'm grateful to all of the pilgrims in this forum that helped me prepare for my first foray on the Mar, and I hope the book (and gpx tracks available as well) help to make it more accessible to others.

I was walking when you first posted and totally missed it. Thanks so much, it looks great!!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back