• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook?

philipc67

Hi all,

This is Philip.

In preparation for the Camino I have read the Rother Walking Guide by Cordula Rabe (2007 edition) and also John Brierley Pilgrim's Guide (2009 edition) for the practical details.

Any opinions from some of you who have done it on which of the two is the more accurate re maps, distances, walking times, refugios, costs, services etc? If I were to choose one of the two to carry with me, which would you recommend? The Walking Guide is smaller and lighter.

Many thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you do a search I'm sure you will find lots of opinions about the various camino guidebooks available. I used Brierley and found it accurate and useful and would recommend it. It is eminently possible to walk without a book but I found it nice to be able to have a good idea of what's ahead the following afternoon/day/week etc.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Senyor Pirotecnic said:
If you do a search I'm sure you will find lots of opinions about the various camino guidebooks available. I used Brierley and found it accurate and useful and would recommend it. It is eminently possible to walk without a book but I found it nice to be able to have a good idea of what's ahead the following afternoon/day/week etc.

Hi Senyor P
I am glad to hear that you recommend Brierley. Of the 2 guidebooks that I have, that is the one I will take along in September.
It seems to be the chose of so many here in the forum. It does have a few extra features that my other does not have....locations for water, cafes, albergues, etc. These should prove quite nice to have at hand.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am not familiar with the Rother Guide so I cannot comment on that. I used the Brierley guide. It was larger than I would have liked but I did like the maps. It was good to know how far the next village/water/cafe/albergue would be. I think the maps/distances were useful and fairly accurate. Before leaving, I tore out pages that I would not need (packing suggestions, etc.) and I tore out pages on the Camino. I found the book useful.

I am using the Brierley--also made LOTS of notes in it from other sources, as well as comments from this site regarding bus locations, etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can also get a Brierley which is just the maps, it´s very light and contains all the info regarding water, albergues, distances and profiles.
Sandra :arrow:

I would also reccomend taking the brierley map book, it's much lighter still has all the major info without all the other gumph he writes. I managed pretty well with the brierley mapbook and the csj guide.

I think if I went again I would just take the mapbook as there are so many albergues on the Frances and new ones/or simply new beds are popping up all the time so almost all the guides are a bit out of date albergue-wise.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I like the Rother guide book ... I used the French edition.

It's small ( OK in a pants pocket) ; the maps are enough accurate and all information is available.

It's perhaps the only guide book (in Spain / camino francés) with a quality assessment of the albergues through a number of shells.

By clicking HERE you'll get the 'Larassoaña :: Cizur Menor' stage description.

Théo

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.