• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guided or self guided

Triple B

Time of past OR future Camino
cycle 9/2016
We have a small group doing a 7 day cycling tour from Leon to Santiago. Is there enough sightseeing along the way that a guide would enhance the experience? or should we opt for the supported self guided trip.
The group consists of mostly novice riders.
Thank you in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is scenery, but I am not sure that is the same as sightseeing! Self-guided will give you the most flexibility. Have a plan, but be willing to change it as circumstances dictate. If you obligate yourself more than a day in advance, you may find that you have exceeded the capabilities of the novices. Buen camino.

We have a small group doing a 7 day cycling tour from Leon to Santiago. Is there enough sightseeing along the way that a guide would enhance the experience? or should we opt for the supported self guided trip.
The group consists of mostly novice riders.
Thank you in advance.

In my opinion you are better, and cheaper, off to just buy a guide book and do it completely on your own. There isn't really any need for anything else unless some of your group have very special requirements or you are a really big group. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree that a current guide book is all that is needed. I just came back from 19 days on the Camino Frances, from Pamplona to Santiago. With a few guidebooks, we reviewed what we might find on the next days ride, so as to be prepared to stop and "sight see." However, we often just allowed the day to unfold as it presented itself, without a particular agenda.
We allowed 9 days from Leon to Santiago, and found, at that pace, our days were full. We wanted a leisurely cycling pace, with time to stop and smell the roses, and enjoy our time on the Camino. And this section includes some strenuous mountain climbs that should not be rushed (in my opinion).
But, if you like structure and a specific plan for each day, a guided tour might be more to your liking.
Buen Camino.

Starting in Leon you have around 320 km (or about 190 miles) to travel in 7 days. So you should be aiming to average about 45 km per day (eg - day one - overnight at Astorga; day 2 Molinaseca; day 3 - O'Cebeiro - these two days have significant climbs which will make the going tougher).
Are you intending to ride the roads or try to follow the walkers Camino? Depending upon your bike & tire type you can follow about 85% of the walker's Camino so you can stop at most of the "sights" mentioned in the guidebooks or picked-up from Dr Google!! The sections I suggest you follow the road include Rabanal to Molinaseca (this is the mountain trail and the descent from the Cruz de Fero is definitely only for the walkers); from Herrerias (about 20 km west of Villafranca del Bierzo) you WILL have to follow the road - the walking trail totally unsuited for any type of bike (imho). In fact this whole section (Brierley stage 26) I followed the road (N-VI) until the turn-off to Herrerias. On the descent from O'Cebreiro the Camino runs virtually along side the roads and again this descent is better handled on the sealed road. Its these descents that give the bike the advantage - you make up time which you can then use to take in the historical and religious sites (such as the monastery at Samos). So maybe if you a little more personal research, find the places that interest you and see how these can fit into your allowed timespand. Buen Camino.

How big is the "small group"? Someone may well end up doing most of the planning and organizing, and feel like they were an unpaid guide.

Is there a good bike mechanic in the group? Someone with some first aid knowledge? Someone who can help novices with packing and riding a loaded bike? Is cost a critical concern?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To follow-up on newfydog - if you are renting bikes then they should be checked BEFORE you leave Leon. If you have your own and they have been packed for transport then again they will need check. There are two cycle shops that I can recommend (personal experience) : Bicicletas BiancoTeniente C/Andres Gonzalez 1 Leon (telf 987209610); and in Astorga at Plaza del Obispo Alcolea 14 (telf 987 615 882). Ponferrada and Villafrance del Bierzo also have good cycle shops. When you get to Santiago Velocipedo (Rua San Perdo 23 - telf 981 580260 - on the Camino route into town, again they were most helpful (advised me were to get the bike jet-washed and also packed it up for trans-ship back to Madrid).
More good advice about having someone with first aid knowledge - falls from bikes are the norm (although I managed to avoid them). Although most large towns have a medical clinic or pharmacy there are places that are very small and lack such facilities so you will need a first aid kit (including one that has splints for bone fractures). About the group size - if you all come from the same area then a " get-together" to discuss some of newfydog's suggestion is recommended - otherwise arrive a day early in Leon and get these issues sorted. Enjoy the ride - there is some really great scenery (as long as the clouds cooperate). Cheers

To follow-up on newfydog - if you are renting bikes then they should be checked BEFORE you leave Leon. If you have your own and they have been packed for transport then again they will need check. There are two cycle shops that I can recommend (personal experience) : Bicicletas BiancoTeniente C/Andres Gonzalez 1 Leon (telf 987209610); and in Astorga at Plaza del Obispo Alcolea 14 (telf 987 615 882). Ponferrada and Villafrance del Bierzo also have good cycle shops. When you get to Santiago Velocipedo (Rua San Perdo 23 - telf 981 580260 - on the Camino route into town, again they were most helpful (advised me were to get the bike jet-washed and also packed it up for trans-ship back to Madrid).
More good advice about having someone with first aid knowledge - falls from bikes are the norm (although I managed to avoid them). Although most large towns have a medical clinic or pharmacy there are places that are very small and lack such facilities so you will need a first aid kit (including one that has splints for bone fractures). About the group size - if you all come from the same area then a " get-together" to discuss some of newfydog's suggestion is recommended - otherwise arrive a day early in Leon and get these issues sorted. Enjoy the ride - there is some really great scenery (as long as the clouds cooperate). Cheers
Thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions. The group will be 4-8 people, I am a competitive cyclist with years of bike repair experience, my wife is a physician who is from Northern Spain, most of the group speaks Spanish. My feelings after reading all of the comments are to do a self guided tour if the group stays around 4, as it grows I am inclined to have a supported/guided trip. As the organizer I am trying not to turn my trip into a working vacation. Managing a larger group with individuals who are not seasoned cyclists can be challenging when facing adversity, weather, mechanical issues, illness etc...
Thank you again for everyone's insight.

Why not allocate a stage to each member of the group and make them do basic research on it beforehand? They can then be 'guide for the day' and point out the significance of and/or basic information about the places you'll pass along the Way without everyone having to reach for their guidebooks all the time. This could also include good places to stop for refreshments etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As the organizer I am trying not to turn my trip into a working vacation. Managing a larger group with individuals who are not seasoned cyclists can be challenging when facing adversity, weather, mechanical issues, illness etc...

You sound as qualified to do it yourself as anyone one the entire trail, and you hit that one on the nose. We did a November mt. bike trip though Canyonlands Park one year, an annual event which had been great with a small group. It grew, and friends started inviting friends, and finally we had a party of 17, many of whom we did not know and were not at all prepared for the trip. The next year my wife and I snuck away by ourselves.

Good suggestion about sharing Tyrek. I my opinion put the emphasis on Support rather than Guide. Go for lightweight road bikes. Particularly for novice riders riding the walkers camino can be a nightmare if the weather is bad. most experienced rider should control the pace rather than set it. With your low milage per day it will be a great experience for ALL.
Buen Camino

Self-guided biking tour and give yourself some extra time to stop and enjoy yourself...or to avoid bad weather (wind and rain)...also if you have some extra time consider riding out to Finisterre and Muxia...and about 5 km of the Camino between Finisterre and Muxia is on a beach.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back