• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guided tours of Frances

Rajy62

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013, Norte/primitivo 2014, vdlp (2015)
I plan to do the Frances in October and prefer to stay in private rooms. It is a lot of work to book accommodation for all 33 stages. I see some guided tours who take care of everything including two meals, luggage transfer and room booking. Anyone tried those tours? what are your experiences? Any specific tour recommendation thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Raj

Hope you have a great time on the Camino but you´ll miss on a lot doing it that way.

Buen Camino!

I know someone who did it that way, as they also wanted to have their accommodation booked etc. It seemed to work quite well for them, but they lost flexibility to change things, eg when they had blisters after some very long hot days, they just had to keep going. They couldn't alter their stages depending on weather/how they felt. They used Macsadventure.com
Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I guess the fun part is toughing it out. I am told that at SJPdP, one can get an uptodate accommodation info. So, i am going to take the risk and just go...The 'self guided' adventure tour (Macadventure) seems interesting but are charging $200/day for their service, i.e without any guides. That is expensive! Thanks for all your replies.

I booked with Caminoways. They were fabulous and accommodated my preferred walking distance. I only did Sarria to Santiago, then contacted them again to continue on to Finisterre.
It was, of course, more expensive than staying in alburges, but I started my trip in SJPdP and didn't make it up to Orisson on my own, so it allowed me to complete at least part of my journey.
Good luck with your choice.
Buen Camino
Cheryl

I plan to do the Frances in October and prefer to stay in private rooms. ... Any specific tour recommendation thanks.
As you can see from other members' comments, tours are expensive.You will also miss a lot of the comradeship among Camino walkers. You would be better off to "play it by ear" and stay flexible. o_O Prepare a list of private albergues (which often have individual rooms), hostals, hotels, etc., which allow reservations,. Buy (in Spain) a SIM card for your unlocked cellphone and reserve a room as you get along. Once you have started, your hosts will be able to recommend where to stay on your next stage(s) in accordance with your physical and weather conditions. Facilities on the Camino Francés are well-geared for individual requirements. On top of that, it allows to be a bit adventurous :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Raj,

As fraluchi mentions above "... You would be better off to "play it by ear" and stay flexible. Prepare a list of private albergues (which often have individual rooms), hostals, hotels, etc., which allow reservations..."

To help you prepare such a list of private accommodation read what other pilgrims and I have written in this earlier Forum thread >>
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...th-accommodation-options-private-rooms.19946/

Walking in October should pose few problems for finding accommodation. In Saint-Jean the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a both a Credential and on-site lodging assistance. Their multi-lingual helpful volunteers keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space, both pilgrim albergues and private rooms, throughout the SJPdP area; they will telephone for you to book your space. The office is also a great place to meet and greet fellow pilgrims.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Good to know that the hosts at various Albergues help with booking the next stopover. Margaret and fraluchi, I am going to follow your suggestions and head to SJPdP few days earlier, and prepare my planning from there.

Thank you
Raj

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok Flying directing into Biarritz Sept 26, and then bus/tran to SJPdP. I will spend 1 day at SJPdP for planning and adjust to EU time zone. Flying out of Madrid Nov6-8, depending on how slow i walk.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back