• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guides/Accomodation on the Mozarabe from Almeria

fenix

Nevertheless, she persists
Time of past OR future Camino
6 Caminos since 2000
May-June 2023 will my 7th
I am starting my walk from Almeria on May 25th. I'm planning to walk from Almeria to Melide, and then continue on the VdlP/Sanabres to SdC, and then on to Muxia/Fistera.

From reading this forum, the section from Almeria to Granada seems pretty well covered as far as guides/maps. I've found Kevin O'Brien's guide in the resources here, as well as the Asociación Jacobea de Almería a Granada Camino Mozárabe guide & maps at www.almeriajacobea.es (they are the ones with the the What's App connection I should contact in advance, correct?)

But for the Granada-Melide section I'm coming up a little short. All I've found is www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es which has a pretty basic english language guide/maps. Is there anything else I'm missing for this section in particular? There does seem to be a lack of albergues in this part. Has anyone put together a basic guide like Kevin's, or even just a list of inexpensive accomodations?

I am reading recent accounts here, and cutting/pasting together a guide of sorts - but if there is something already a bit more organized, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

ALSO, as I'm going this one solo, I'd like to be able to use maps also if possible. But I am a total tech newbie to this. I will have an unlocked android phone (Moto g4) with a Spanish SIM. Can anyone walk me through this, please? I mean, like, with the understanding and patience of explaining to a kindergartner. :D
What offline maps app should I use?
Will using this app require data? GPS? (I warned you I was a tech idiot. Not even sure the right questions to ask or how to ask them!)
How do I acquire/use the "tracks" (??? is that right) for this route?

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Fenix,
Arrived Granada today, most of the info available on this forum is correct, but we found that calling ahead each day is a sound idea.
It's been very hot, and some of the steep climbs have made for the odd difficult day, pack light, carry a decent amount of water and be sure of your footwear. You spend quite a bit of time in dry river beds with a stoney loose surface.
GPS in my case Wikiloc has been a great help.
Regards
George

Last edited:
Hi Fenix. My experience is that all towns between Granada and Merida have hostals that give discount to pilgrims, and in many cases there are albergues. So don't worry too much about accomodation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First, please let me apologize for starting a thread and disappearing! Work has been a beast, and other life matters have consumed me lately.

I'm in omg 16 days pre-camino what-was-I-thinking panic now, so...... yay.

Thank you! That is very helpful for the Granada-Cordoba stretch.
It is very blank for Almeria-Granada (which there are good other resources for) and for Cordoba-Melide.

So Cordoba-Melide info is pretty sparse. Does anyone have guide recommendations for that section?

I am also at a kindergarten level with technology. I found this thread super useful: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...alileo-pro-vs-pocket-earth.46707/#post-497962

Try checking the website below. The various tracks that make up the Camino Mozarabe can be loaded on to an app like MAPS.ME. I have not actually tried MAPS.ME in the field yet, so I cannot say for sure how well it works, but I plan to do so this summer. I have seen it referenced on this Forum a number of times. http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/loadCaminoSantiago.do

Thank you, both! Very helpful!

Hi Fenix,
Arrived Granada today, most of the info available on this forum is correct, but we found that calling ahead each day is a sound idea.
It's been very hot, and some of the steep climbs have made for the odd difficult day, pack light, carry a decent amount of water and be sure of your footwear. You spend quite a bit of time in dry river beds with a stoney loose surface.
GPS in my case Wikiloc has been a great help.
Regards
George

Thanks, George. I'm kinda at a loss regarding Wikilocs. I'm so unsure what it is and how to use it, I'm not even sure the right questions to ask to get started.

The calling ahead thing is a worry of mine. I have "traveler's" Spanish, but not nearly good enough to hold phone conversations. (I could express what I need in my first sentence, but not understand the answer and craft a dialogue from there!) Not an auditory person anyway - I have a hard time on the phone in my own language!

Will I survive on this route without pre-calling?

Hi Fenix. My experience is that all towns between Granada and Merida have hostals that give discount to pilgrims, and in many cases there are albergues. So don't worry too much about accomodation.

That's a relief. But, how do I find those accomodations? Booking.com? Ask at the first bar? Wander aimlessly looking lost and sad until someone takes pity on me? :)

[QUOTE="But, how do I find those accomodations? Booking.com? Ask at the first bar? Wander aimlessly looking lost and sad until someone takes pity on me? :)[/QUOTE]

Asking at the first bar was indeed a good way to find out where is the albergue or to find other accomodation. A few times I passed the town hall (ayutamiento) where I asked for information.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Fenix, I'm glad to hear there'll be someone else out on the track May 25th, I'm arriving in Almeria today and will be figuring things out there so maybe we'll bump into each other along the way!

I've had some similar problems trying to find accommodation that's under €20 in Almeria and I'm not sure if it's just because it's a starting point tourist city or if I just don't have enough of a grasp of Spanish to search out the cheap basic albergues online so I'm going to try the old "ask at the bar" approach and hope for the best.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back