• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guides and maps

Montrose

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, via de la Plata, Portugese - past
Celtic - future
I would like to hear from anyone who has walked the Norte route with regards to the guide book and maps they used and how they compared to Brierley books and maps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used the Wise Pilgrim app and I had the guide book. The maps in the Wise Pilgrim book is definitely not as good or detailed as the Brierley maps. They give you a good idea of the day you will have in front of you and you can get a good idea of the distances between towns and if there are alternative routes to compare. When you look at the names if the towns they it breaks down the distances from town to town (and to some other significant landmarks for navigation). There are some maps for walking through towns and cities also. But overall I do not think the maps are as good. The app has a GPS system that you can use and it is very useful and accurate. I tended to use the GPS for guidance alot more than the maps.
On the CF you really dont need anything because you can usually follow the hoards of people in front of you. On the Norte there may be many days you will not see more than a handful of people, especially after the Camino splits with the Primitivo. I started my Norte at the end of September, just as a reference.
You can download the Norte Wise Pilgrim app for about $5.00US. It looks like you have done a few caminos in your day and I assume you will be doing more in the future. If so I would recommend downloading the bundle of Wise Pilgrim apps. (A friend told me he didnt think they still offered this but it is worth checking out) There are 10 routes in the bundle.

We used the Wise Pilgrim app and the Whitson guidebook https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1852847948/?tag=casaivar02-20 The Wise Pilgrim book was not available at that time. Now there is the Wise Pilgrim book and the Village to Village guide https://www.amazon.com/dp/1947474103/?tag=casaivar02-20 . The maps in the Wise Pilgrim book and Village to Village are better than the Whitson book, but the Whitson book has a lot more text describing the route, and that can be helpful. I suggest getting the three books and making your own judgement. Consider the cost as insurance. It is a minimal expense compared to the cost of the entire trip. P.S. We managed to lose the Whitson book part way through our trip, but luckily also had the Kindle version which we could read on our phone. It is actually better on the phone than hardcopy because you can expand the maps to the point where you can read them.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walking the Norte this year I will be using the Wise Pilgrim app (Wisely on IOS) and carrying the Dintaman, et. al. "Village to Village Map Guide: Camino del Norte" in my pocket. Used both on the Portuguese last year and was very pleased with them. The newly updated Wise Pilgrim guide book for the Norte is much improved, and most of its information is in the app. Also, Kindle editions of several other guide books on my iPhone and iPad. When will you be starting? I'm planning for 1 June.

P.S. I agree with backpack45scb. Whitson is one of my Kindle books, lots of good info. Last updated in 2015. Dintaman, published April 2018, is very simple. One page per stage with map on facing page.

P.S. I agree with backpack45scb. Whitson is one of my Kindle books, lots of good info. Last updated in 2015. Dintaman, published April 2018, is very simple. One page per stage with map on facing page.

Just saw on UK Amazon that there is a new print version of the Whitson book coming out on the 15th May, I assume a new Kindle version will follow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1786310147/?tag=casaivar-21

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the tip @tarasis. Just checked both sites. The new volume description raises its measure of the Norte from 817km to 822km, interesting. Regardless, I usually "find" ways (missed arrows, inadvertent detours, etc.) to add at least 10% to every Camino. I'll be watching for the Kindle update.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back