• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guillena, build a pedestrian bridge over the arroyo!

peregrina2000

Staff member
If you've walked the Vdlp, you may remember the Arroyo de los Molinos -- it's after Italica and before Guillena. If you're lucky it's dry enough so you can walk across. Next best, that you can shimmy across one of the big tree trunks lying across. But if the rains are heavy, like they have been this year, you may have to choose between walking in water over your waist or backtracking a few km and going on the highway.

You can find an online petition here: https://secure.avaaz.org/es/petitio...e_los_Molinos_Guillena_Sevilla/?pfKQjcb&pv=38

This has been in the works for years, but nothing has really materialized except some inadequate quick fixes. What they need is a bridge. If Ender and his Salvador angels crew were down here, they would have this solved in no time -- buy the wood, build the bridge, done.

I would hate to see a huge imposing granite bridge and walkway like what was installed before Lires coming from Muxia. No need to go berserk, something simple will work just fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was lucky, when I crossed it the water was low. I guess it is a money problem for the town? So perhaps instead of 'demanding' it in a petition, some pilgrims and local amigos could get together and just do it (with permission of course)? Buen Camino, SY

you may remember the Arroyo de los Molinos
Indeed, Peregrina2000. I was faced with the tree-trunk crossing with a loaded bike in 2012. Fortunately a very large Dutch peregrino came along.
I'm going this year and have decided to avoid it. Discretion ...etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is the second time this petition is in circulation. Unfortunately locals do not seem to be concerned. Shall we start a crowdfunding campaign for the local Amigos chapter? I have a contact there and wouldn't mind initiating this.

Seems I was lucky when I was at that same spot earlier this year! On a completely unrelated note. That Marian Hymn brings memories back from a shared pilgrims mass with Spaniards from Andalucia and Bavaria. The Bavarians nearly got a heart attack when the Olé! started. I had a hard time explaining to them that it really was a hymn to the virgin - Bavarian hymns tend to be a wee bit more tranquilo ...

Thanks for two lovely memories, SY

PS So, when are we forming a committee / fundraiser / work party to build that bridge?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
he amigos from Sevilla just posted a warning (also posted on the Almeria FB page) that the Arroyo can not be waded through
Looks like a good spot to open a bar.
The N630 ain't fun either. I'm going to head north through La Algaba.

Okay, but as I remember it, the "walls" of the arroyo are quite high (I can't explain this in English). If you want something woody and simple to step on at the bottom of the arroyo, the water in spring and autumn will flood it. And constructing a bridge above, at the same level as the ground, would require a real bridge, sort of a boring modern construction as the one on the Camino de Muxía, as Laurie mentioned in her first post. Cause it would be to high to just spread out a bunch of planks or tree trunks, right?

/BP

There seems to be a solution to this problem, given by the local camino association.
There is an alternative route now, which is 4-6 kms longer. There are also reports that the new route is signed now.
More info in spanish:
http://www.viaplata.org/…/375-variante-a-guillena-por-la-al…
A map with the alernative route:
https://docs.google.com/…/1rwDEfSslTdTsC9gwV2bWNTwjGwy…/edit
or
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=37.487585315566086,-6.051057999457839&z=13

Buen camino and dry feet!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back