Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

LIVE from the Camino Guimarães - an overlooked gem!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
Three Caminos (Torres, Braga Variant, Portuguese Central) run through or close to this Portuguese city and yet no one ever sings its praises! So I’m here to tell you: GO VISIT GUIMARÃES!!!! So much history, beautiful squares, lovely restaurants, and everything else you want when visiting Portugal without the tourist crowds of Porto or Lisbon. If you are walking through on a Camino, though, try to schedule two nights there to take it all in.

You can thank me later… 😎

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Past OR future Camino
Future
I love Guimaraes!!! Not from the
Camino, but from my travels through Portugal… such a beautiful city with rich history! If it’s on the way, I highly recommend it!

Corned Beef

Past OR future Camino
VDLP 9/2022
There are bus trips from Porto to Guimaraes (and Braga) if you have time or if you add in a few days for Guimaraes, Braga and Porto too.

Rail travel (Comboios de Portugal) will cost you about €3 and takes an hour.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
I’ve been to Guimarães twice recently and agree that it’s a little gem! Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate @Vacajoe’s points:

F08A5012-6DDF-4A8D-AEEB-4D9D5F2958B3.jpeg

The church of St. Michael in Guimarães, Portugal, dating to the 13th century but according to legend, several hundred years older than that and the place of baptism of Portugal’s first king Afonso Henriques.

B7C90DD4-5F03-4194-B534-BA58BC97CA15.jpeg

The Torre de Menagem (keep) of the 10th-13th century castle in Guimarães, where Portugal was born.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Past OR future Camino
Three Caminos (Torres, Braga Variant, Portuguese Central) run through or close to this Portuguese city and yet no one ever sings its praises! So I’m here to tell you: GO VISIT GUIMARÃES!!!! So much history, beautiful squares, lovely restaurants, and everything else you want when visiting Portugal without the tourist crowds of Porto or Lisbon. If you are walking through on a Camino, though, try to schedule two nights there to take it all in.

You can thank me later… 😎
Oh, yes!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances