• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guimaras - Ponte de Lima

Juan64

Time of past OR future Camino
Did the French Camino, from St Jean Pied a Port, in April 2014
Hi all,
Any advice or info on the Guimaraes- Braga- Ponte de Lima branch? There seem to be a lot of info from Ponte onwards, and also alot from Porto to Ponte...but no much from Braga or Guimaraes.

God willing, I will start in Guimaraes the 8 of April.

After doing the Camino Francés last April, the first lesson is "less is more", and "pace yourself".

Buen camino a todos :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all,
Any advice or info on the Guimaraes- Braga- Ponte de Lima branch? There seem to be a lot of info from Ponte onwards, and also alot from Porto to Ponte...but no much from Braga or Guimaraes.

God willing, I will start in Guimaraes the 8 of April.

After doing the Camino Francés last April, the first lesson is "less is more", and "pace yourself".

Buen camino a todos :)
I think this has to do with the history of the caminho Português.
Pilgrims used to take the shortest and direct way.
Walking from Porto it is more logical to head for Barcelos instead of Guimarães .
And so it is to Braga.
However both Guimarães and Braga are very beautifull and interested places to visit. I am curious about your experiences. Give us the information please on this forum.

Muito sorte e um abraço
Albertinho

Braga and Guimarães are not in the Portuguese Camino (central), they lay in the Camino das Torres. Find information here.
As Albertinho said Braga and Guimarães are a detour from the traditional more direct line to Santiago. Historically it was safer to take the more travelled road, so I don't know it there is much history in a route from Porto to Braga.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In
Braga and Guimarães are not in the Portuguese Camino (central), they lay in the Camino das Torres. Find information here.
As Albertinho said Braga and Guimarães are a detour from the traditional more direct line to Santiago. Historically it was safer to take the more travelled road, so I don't know it there is much history in a route from Porto to Braga.
Interesting route from Salamanca anyway !

The way from Guimares is well way marked and is walked regularly by various groups who look after the signage. There is a albergue de peregrinos in Braga and Goaes - which is midway between Braga and Ponte de Lima. There is a Facebook page for the Braga amigos called Associacao Espaco Jacobeus, but I can't pull the link up on here.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to Porto first because it's easier (and cheaper) to reach from Madrid (coach £30 euros), and I plan to spend 3 nights just knowing the city and preparing "mentally" for the Camino. But I plan to start the Camino from Guimaraes, or Braga if from Guimaraes is complicated

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a train from Porto Sāo Bento in the center ..(the beautiful station with the tiles panels !) to Guimarâes .I forgot counting. It takes about one hour and 20 minutes to get there and it stopped at about 26 stations. Really value for money :p

I am not walking from Porto. I am going to Porto first to spend 3 days and know the city. It´s really cheap from Madrid (I live in London but I am spanish, so in Madrid now visiting family). Once in Porto I will take the train or bus to Guimaraes exactly because the reasons you give, I have been told that both Guimaraes and Braga are beautiful.
If I had the time, I´d be zigzaging all he way up...Guimareas-Braga- Pone de Lima- Viana do Castelo- Caminha- Valenca- Tui .-)

Any idea where I can get my credential stamped in Guimaraes? I dont seem to be able to find it anywhere

Just checked the link. Good. Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Guimares is the place where Portugal was born and the central historic district is filled with great buildings. One special place to get your Credencial stamped might be in the elegant Pousada Santa Marinha which originally was a 12th c convent. The church, cloisters and tilework are splendid!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Go for it if you'll have the oportunity !

You found my information on the email ?
;)
Abraço
I did, but only now have the time to read them with all of my attention

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back