• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guitar on the Camino

Paul Slugocki

Hi, everyone
I was wondering if anyone has done the Camino with a guitar? Would it be possible for me to hike the whole Camino with my gear and a guitar? I love my guitar and I'm not sure that I would be able :shock: :mrgreen: to last without my guitar for too long. :shock:
Buen Camino!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have seen a couple of others with a guitar case strapped to their pack.

If you can handle the additional weight there is no reason not to take it. However, I would be a little careful about when I played it in the albergues as people really need and want sleep and would probably not enjoy it in the evening. Afternoons should usually be OK.

Hi

I met a guy with both a guitar and a dog, the latter of which was the bigger challenge! As Grayland says, the issue is of the extra weight, and also being able to attach it to your pack effectively. It just depends how important it is to you. It would be amazing to sit around in the afternoon playing some Spanish guitar pieces, though!

I just bought a ukulele, which is incredibly light and small enough to carry, but I don't think the Concierto de Aranjuez would sound the same on that! :lol:

Buen Camino!

Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
tyrrek said:
Hi

I met a guy with both a guitar and a dog, the latter of which was the bigger challenge! As Grayland says, the issue is of the extra weight, and also being able to attach it to your pack effectively. It just depends how important it is to you. It would be amazing to sit around in the afternoon playing some Spanish guitar pieces, though!

I just bought a ukulele, which is incredibly light and small enough to carry, but I don't think the Concierto de Aranjuez would sound the same on that! :lol:

Buen Camino!

Keith

& have you seen the http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com, they are just amazing, we saw them @ Chepstow Castle last year.......wonderful

I have to admit that it would really be great to come upon someone walking and playing.
I would guess that just stopping out along the trail on the Meseta and playing would bring a lot of joy to Pilgrims slogging by.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I returned from my camino 4 weeks ago. When I was there I met a couple who had taken their instruments. He had his guitar and she had her harp! They had busked along the camino and played in the albergues in the afternoons. Many pilgrims and hospitaleros enjoyed the music and it gave many of us some amazing memories. Music is a universal language and can really open up conversations and shared experiences on the camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IL37Y/?tag=casaivar02-20
"Don't let the diminutive size of the Martin Backpacker Acoustic Guitar fool you. A braced, solid tonewood top with a solid mahogany neck, back, and sides gives this cool little guitar a surprisingly big projection. Built to withstand the rigors of camping, hiking, and off-road traveling. Includes high-quality chrome-enclosed tuners. A unique bridge on the nylon-string version accepts either plain or ball-end classic strings. Weighs less than 2-1/2 lbs."

Rebekah Scott said:
Tons of people with guitars out there. Some of them can even play them! :lol:
Yep, I met one also, except the playing part :evil:.
After a while I asked him to hand over the guitar to me. I tuned it, played some etudes and after a thin and small applause I handed it back to him.
No one touched a string afterwards.

So if you can play, take your guitar. And if not...
(And it adds to the weight, it wears uncomfortably on your back, it is fragile....)

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
dutchpilgrim said:
Rebekah Scott said:
After a while I asked him to hand over the guitar to me. I tuned it, played some etudes and after a thin and small applause I handed it back to him.

So if you can play, take your guitar. And if not...
(And it adds to the weight, it wears uncomfortably on your back, it is fragile....)

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

You blew it Carli,
he could of carried it for you & you would have been in your element, for your Camino :lol:

dutchpilgrim said:
Rebekah Scott said:

Hi Dutchpilgrim.

Can you clarify; a) whether everyone was so amazed by your guitar skills that they didn't even try to compete, or b) were so horrified they never wanted to hear a guitar ever again?

Only joking! :lol:

Buen Camino!

I have to say as a recent pilgrim,I didnt experience any live music until Santiago except for the one day that I saw a guy sitting under an arched ancient stone bridge alongside a river, in some shade, playing guitar. It was one of my magic highlights of being able to sit on the bridge, snacking on chorizo while listening to him play, and sing. So I would suggest, if you think you can carry one, it would be wonderful and a great benefit for others to hear you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked camino Frances (2006) and via de la Plata (2009) and took my (little) guitar both times.
It's important to pick the right opportunities to play, but then it will create a very special sphere.
I strapped her along the side of my backpack; it was no trouble at all. Though at the end she was full with bumps and scratches and a lot of signatures and camino-stamps.
Take a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWVbZOAlC8E for an impression in the alberge in Pedrouzo.
Good luck en greetings,
Loet.

We had a few pilgrims come through the albergue in October with guitars. Some actually played them in the courtyard. Last year when I walked, there was a group of pilgrims walking together and one of the fellows had a quitar with him. It was one of the most memorable experiences I had, listening to him play and all of us singing along to the Beatles. I would look into a baby Martin or Taylor instead of the Backpacker model. Make sure you don't mind if it gets wet or have a way to cover it if it rains. If I ever learn to play the ukelele (it's on my list) I would bring one on the Camino.

Guitar-builder Fred Sheppard (parachodelnorte.com) is producing tough and beautiful Camino-design guitars. He is a former pilgrim, and the man behind the Camino Guitars summer concert series here in Palencia. Musical pilgrims can find his guitars both here at The Peaceable and at Albergue Espiritu Sanctu in Carrion de los Condes... and on concert stages all over the world.

Ours is called Esperanza, the first of the series. She´s starred in two summers´worth of concerts of classical guitar music in the hands of professionals, but she really comes alive for pilgrims... and seems to love best the Brazilian bossa-nova!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rebekah Scott said:
Guitar-builder Fred Sheppard (parachodelnorte.com) is producing tough and beautiful Camino-design guitars. He is a former pilgrim, and the man behind the Camino Guitars summer concert series here in Palencia. Musical pilgrims can find his guitars both here at The Peaceable and at Albergue Espiritu Sanctu in Carrion de los Condes... and on concert stages all over the world.

Ours is called Esperanza, the first of the series. She´s starred in two summers´worth of concerts of classical guitar music in the hands of professionals, but she really comes alive for pilgrims... and seems to love best the Brazilian bossa-nova!

Fancy guitar! I checked out the website. Very cool.

Greetings, guitar amigo, of course you can take your guitar. I walked from St Jean to Burgos, only 13 day's and didnt take mine with me, which I regret, although I did find a couple on my travels and had 2 of the best evenings playing with everyone singing together. Of course you need a soft case with a couple of big plastic bags to keep it dry. Anyway, the reason I'm telling you this is that I'm going back on the camino last week in May and continuing my journey from Burgos, to Santiago, WITH GUITAR this time. I did'nt hear any music on the camino while I was there, which I found quite sad, so you owe it to thoes poor music starved pilgrims to give them a few tunes along the Way. I'll be doing the same.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I only met the one man carrying a guitar on the Camino and never heard him play but there was another man who brought his clarinet and entertained the crowds waiting to get into the albergue in Burgos. Didn't see him afterwards but everyone appeared to appreciate the musical interlude.

I'd say bring the guitar but be prepared for airlines and the like. An instrument the size of a guitar can be awkward to bring internationally and softcases don't always protect it.

I met Joe from Ireland - together with his wife Trish - who carried a (-n Irish) flute. He played for me two pieces in Viloria de La Rioja early in the morning during a break. Very nice!
Dazzamac, could it be that it was the same person you met in Burgos as we did the camino on the same time? Off course there is a diffrence between a clarinet and flute but you never know.

GunnarW said:
Dazzamac, could it be that it was the same person you met in Burgos as we did the camino on the same time? Off course there is a diffrence between a clarinet and flute but you never know.

Could well be. He was across the small square from me at the time and I didn't get a good look at the instrument. Googling images of both flutes and clarinets suggest that at that kind of distance, I could have mistaken one for the other not being overly familiar with either. I just remember thinking that it was an unusual instrument to be playing traditional Irish music on. That said, the music was more than welcome as we all queued to get our bed for the night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There was a "house guitar" at San Nicholas albergue when we stayed in 2006 and it was wonderful to have it! After dinner, we passed it around and every pilgrim who played took a turn. It was one of the best memories on that trip.

Hello Dazzamac,

"Googling images of both flutes and clarinets suggest that at that kind of distance"

The big diffrence is that a flute is played horizontally, a clarinet vertically.
Joe "in full action" can be seen here: http://vimeo.com/38863551

Just for the record: there are "house guitars" in many places along the camino. At our house we have one of the above-cited Parachodelnorte camino models, in case any wandering musician is interested in a try-out -- it is a wonder, and it needs to be played.
The sisters at Espiritu Sanctu albergue in Carrion de los Condes have one, too. And more are on their way in 2012.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm walking the Camino for the first time in February. From Leon to Muxia. And one question I had was this one. If I could do it with a guitar. Now I know it's not an utopic dream and that I can take it. I just need to find a way to tie it to my bagpack and to get a cover for it, as I expect to get some (if not a lot) rain.
I'm not taking it for entertainment, but for company, as I'm doing it alone. But I'm sure there will be very nice moments with other pilgrins.
Thanks guys for the infos!
Best rgds!!

I saw a guy on my last camino with a full size guitar slung over his shoulder doing the camino in reverse from Santiago to Fatima. If you have the will power and strength then you can do it, there is nothing else to stop you, but as you say keep it dry. I saw him at a high point just after the hostel in Rubiaes, I chatted to some pilgrims a few days later who had stayed there that night with him and said he was a really beautiful musician.

P.s Yes he had a backpack as well, and the guitar somehow slung over his shoulder, I would say it was not easy going for him. How do you feel about having it on your front, and keeping it away from your backpack, or even keeping you contents in your backpack to a minimum and having it in there with the neck coming out of the top and a waterproof sheet going over it and the backpack.

You might want to consider a "parlor" guitar or a baby Martin or Taylor. They are smaller and lighter and easier to carry....I can't imagine carrying a full sized guitar, though I did see quite a few.

Oh, and you are never alone on the Camino....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will be in luck if you are walking through the Province of Palencia from June - September 15 2012. Guitar concerts will be given 4 nights per week in several locations and are completely free to pilgrims. Don't be afraid to take your guitar with you, it will be comfortable as long as you are !

And a special concert in the church of the San Martin in Fromista awaits on the 25th of July, the festival day of Santiago !

freddymerckx said:
You will be in luck if you are walking through the Province of Palencia from June - September 15 2012...
Hi Freddy! If you're the same Freddy who provided me with a nice strong Belgian beer while I was litter clearing with Reb in December you are a star and have my thanks! :D Buen Camino!

I walked the camino twice last year, WITH my guitar. The first time from Pamplona to Finisterre & then back to Santiago and down to Porto (Portugal). On the second time around, we started in St Jean, and, again, continued down the Portuguese route. Taking a guitar on board a plane troubled me a great deal at the planning stage, but I couldn't be that long (6 weeks) without one. My solution was to make a new and fully detachable neck for a broken classical guitar. It took a lot of work and thought, but it works perfectly. I can get everything I need, including disassembled guitar and clothing, into the hand luggage allowance of an Easyjet flight. My wife and I are walking the camino yet again, this June, but this time the Primitivo, and I'll still be taking my guitar. I've just posted a blog on one of those trips. If interested visit: http://caminoguitarplayer.blogspot.com/ ... &type=POST
I may be persuaded to give an account of the guitar build, if anyone is crazy/enthusiastic enough to try it.
Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Awesome! Loved the video! I kinda hope I run into you on my Camino it'd be lovely to hear you playing along The Way itself :)

hoping to find as few places that have a house guitar on the way,
would be good in the early evening to have a fiddle !

Hi, everyone
I was wondering if anyone has done the Camino with a guitar? Would it be possible for me to hike the whole Camino with my gear and a guitar? I love my guitar and I'm not sure that I would be able :shock: :mrgreen: to last without my guitar for too long. :shock:
Buen Camino!!
Of course you can take a guitar, we traveled this spring with a guy on and off who played his in the albergues. If you DO take yours, make sure you stay in Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo. The host there is an accomplished player and will likely set you up for a jam session. When we stayed there a friend dropped by with a string bass, and two other guitars showed up. They played for hours. Its a very guitar friendly place.

Hi, everyone
Buen Camino!!

Its a good idea. Some albergues are heated with firewood and one never knows if one will find kindling. A guitar would suit the purpose famously. (I have been kept awake into the 'wee' hours at least once too often by some guitar wielding wannabee) I cannot play a note but that does not impair my ability to hear and discern good from awful. Its not fair to be held an hostage to a performance from which there is no escape. This is doubly so for the conceirto past the time of 'lights out'

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, everyone
Buen Camino!!
I would not advise taking a guitar. Most people want space for their own thoughts and feelings so hearing someone pollute their airspace with personal audio would likely annoy the fup out of them. It's really big headed of someone to think they are so musically adept to entertain a pilgrim on a mission! 🤣

I met Minjung while on the CF and her music was so uplifting. We encountered each other a few times and I was always amazed that she carried her guitar in addition to her regular pack.

She's back there now
Minjung on the CF

I'm firmly in the camp of leaving the guitar at home. Agree with comments about not wanting to be obliged to listen to the guitarist's choice of music unless it is an early evening Sister Carolina type guitar session.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Paul Slugocki asked this question in 2011, and hasn't been back since. The thread went silent in early 2012, and was resurrected in mid-2016. It's interesting to see it now has a third life!!

Last edited:
Hi, everyone
Buen Camino!!
We have left a few Ukuleles at public Albergues and The Pilgrim House in Santiago. I'm sauntering with "The Last Patrol" this Autumn and would donate to an albergue in need on the CF.

I would not advise taking a guitar. Most people want space for their own thoughts and feelings so hearing someone pollute their airspace with personal audio would likely annoy the fup out of them. It's really big headed of someone to think they are so musically adept to entertain a pilgrim on a mission! 🤣
An alternative might be to do what Dan Mullins (host of "My Camino: the Podcast) did. He brought a guitar and played when requested. I don't think people were complaining he is insufficiently adept.

Personally, I have always enjoyed musical sessions with other pilgrims, but I certainly don't claim to speak for all pilgrims.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back