• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guitarist just before Astorga

Fares Ismail

Fares
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017), Invierno (2017)
Just before Astorga, on the top of the hill, theres a guitar player who sings songs about the Camino. I think his name is Jose Jiminez. (
)

I was wondering if anyone had a link to a site where I could stream or buy online some of his songs?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry, I don't know of a site, but thank you for posting this video! I took a short clip of him but it was marred by a couple of passing pilgrims having a serious and loud dispute.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Though these guys are being entrepreneurs using what ever is at their disposal, I, too, received his gift and appreciated giving myself a pause. Appreciating a moment of music, my breath, the air. Breaking from the walk to simply be. Shared my thanks and some financial appreciation
I am glad it is still working for him and that others got to listen too

Though these guys are being entrepreneurs using what ever is at their disposal, I, too, received his gift and appreciated giving myself a pause. Appreciating a moment of music, my breath, the air. Breaking from the walk to simply be. Shared my thanks and some financial appreciation
I am glad it is still working for him and that others got to listen too
It's just how I felt and you said it so well. I stopped, rested, listened a while, and gave a few euros before walking on. He has lots of energy!

If you go into the cafe on the right - or sit outside (there are two or three tables on the narrow path), when you get to the village at the bottom of the hill, not only is there the wonderful hospitality we so often experience, but you may meet retired catholic priest Pepé (who is still working), who will sit and talk to you about so many things, was responsible for having the trees planted at the peak of the hill where the guitarist plays and all the way down, and Pepé will be able to tell you all about the guitarist and probably how to get a CD. Maybe they should keep some CD's in the café? LoveLight and Nature. Keith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year I walked back from Astorga in the early morning. I stopped at that cafe at the bottom of the hill for breakfast. The Guitarist was pouring a fortune into the one armed bandit while taking some early morning "refreshment". The he took his moped up to the hill, where I saw him playing as I climbed up.

I believe I may have seen this chap this morning riding his moped up the hill as we were walking down. If I'd realised i would have trekked back up.

We saw this guy in July 2013. Seems like he has been there quite a while.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
He gets hostile if you pass on by without stopping.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
He was thrilled to show me the drinking pilgrim fountain at the top of the hill!

Attachments

• IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Last year I walked back from Astorga in the early morning. I stopped at that cafe at the bottom of the hill for breakfast. The Guitarist was pouring a fortune into the one armed bandit while taking some early morning "refreshment". The he took his moped up to the hill, where I saw him playing as I climbed up.
Hello friend, Well, Its up to him how he spends his cash I suppose, and what he spends it on. I don't mind, I enjoyed his playing, dropped a couple of € in his box and had an excepional experience at the café talking to father Pepé. Good luck to them, Spain's had it rough for a while now, and I had a few drinks along the way myself, as did many others. Best wishes. Keith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Too true Keith. I was just admiring his performance warm up routine! I would image he, like many of the farmers needs a pick-me-up on the cold days. Maybe a win to avoid having to sit out there in the cold? (I know it has been a habit of mine on those really cold, wet and windy meseta days).

I didn't know he had more than one song... He was singing the same one when I walked a year and a half ago and this year. It's fun to come upon him on that hilltop. I have seen him at an outdoor cafe in Astorga, too. He especially asks for American dollars while singing up on the hill, for some reason.

Too true Keith. I was just admiring his performance warm up routine! I would image he, like many of the farmers needs a pick-me-up on the cold days. Maybe a win to avoid having to sit out there in the cold? (I know it has been a habit of mine on those really cold, wet and windy meseta days).
Oh, no! They have one armed bandits on the meseta? They must come out of nowhere as there's nary a bush or tree to hide behind. Yikes!:eek: I had assumed those hoodlums were only around the Camino in "days of old" or did you say "cold"? :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.