• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guthook Guides, is it reliable?

bluesrurale

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everybody, have anyone used the Guthook Guide for the Camino? Would you recommend it?
I was looking for an app to use on the Camino del Norte (aside with the Gronze site information and my paper-printed guide) and I stumbled on the Guthook Guides site and found out they actually have a guide ($7.99 cost - seams reasonable) for the CdN. I personally have no experience with that app, I would appreciate if you could give me some feedback.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use the Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I looked at into it a few weeks ago I believe it wasn’t yet available “off-line” if that makes a difference to you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i’ve never heard of it. A person really doesn’t need a guide on the Camino. Just follow the yellow flechas
Since the Camino del Norte have multiple variants in some stages I thought that a guide would be useful. I'm also planning to combine multiple stages together as I would like to keep track of the kilometers I walk and the ascent and the descent

You could download the Wise Pilgrim or Buen Camino apps for free. You don't need a connection to read about hotels or directions and you can download the maps also. I am 99% sure they work without internet also. I would recommend downloading both so you have a wider range of accommodations as no one app or book covers every place to lay your head at night.

I have used Guthook on the Appalachian Trail and you can use it in airplane mode. It is very reliable and pretty user friendly. The AT is marked with white blazes but if you miss one and get off on a side trail you know pretty quickly. It has different modes that show the route and also the elevation. If you have a specific place you want to stop for the night you can tell how far it is from your current location. I am planning to use it this fall on the Camino (mainly because I am used to the app)

While I can't speak to Guthook in Europe, I know the Guthook Guides are the go-to resource for long-distance hikers on the American long trails (Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, etc), so it is a reputable brand.
And, Lets include Guthook for the 1300 mile Florida Trail!! It has been my go to App for the Fla Trail and everyone else that I met on the trail...

Dixie “homemade wanderlust” on YouTube
is a triple crowner in the US who also did the Camino in 19 and used Guthook because she was used to using it for the long distance US trails. She mentioned it in one of her videos. I got the impression it wasn’t as reliable for the Camino as it is for US trails (where it’s pretty much the gold standard for long distance, imho). When I’m curious about Km I usually use the godalesco Camino planner online for a rough estimate. I am more inclined to use one of the paper style guidebooks on kindle when I’m actually on the Camino. Gronze I think is the most accurate in terms of open albergues. I probably wouldn’t pay for it for the Camino but if you’re used to using it and like the real - time comments feature it can’t hurt to have it and it’s cheaper than the paper guidebooks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
have anyone used the Guthook Guide for the Camino? Would you recommend it?
I used the Guthook Guide for my Camino Frances in 2019. I used it the most of apps I had and it is very good for some things but it also has some problems. You can use it off-line and you do not need a data connection. It was excellent for displaying how far to the next town, item of interest, elevations, etc. This was one of my favourite features. Support was excellent. I encountered a couple of glitches in the software the support guy uploaded patches in 1-2 days.
I also encountered some problems. When I was leaving Triacastela you can go to the right for the northern route or south through Samos. Most people were going right to the north so I followed them. When I checked the guide, this route did not exist in the Guthook guide but it did list some albergues for route. I mentioned this to support but I don't think the route has been added yet to the guide. Other apps provide more info about albergues, accomodation and points of interest.
Still this was the app I used the most. My feet always wanted to know how far to the next village.

As mentioned above, some people have used it and it does seem to cover a number of Camino routes, but it is more an all-purpose trail app aimed at the through hiker. If you have no experience with the app, I'd use one that is specifically designed for Camino walkers. All of these are free or very inexpensive. Buen Camino, a single app, where you can download the various routes individually, and the Wise Pilgrim (or Wisely+) apps, which has a different app for each route, both mentioned in the thread above, are well-respected and cover the Norte. Camino Tool is another app that covers the Norte that you might find useful.

I used the Guthook app for some backpacking trips on the Appalachian Trail. I recommend it to everyone. It is the go to navigation app for long distance hikers, I planned to use it on my Camino Francés hike in 2020 but had to cancel for obvious reasons. I now plan my camino for either November or May. I absolutely plan to use the app, but will also use other apps mentioned in the blog. The Guthook app works well in airplane mode and does not require the walker to keep the phone turned on. Instead, you can turn your phone on every now and then to confirm that you are on the path and to see how far to your next location of interest. A very useful feature is that the user can add private notes. As I read various comments on the blogs and in books, I add private notes to help me when I am finally on the camino.

With all this being said, let me add that no app is perfect. I don't think anyone should place all their eggs in one basket. Since virtually everyone will have a smart phone or tablet, why not bring several apps in addition to Brierley or other printed guidebook? If anyone finds something missing or errant in the Guthook app, please send them a note. I can attest to them being interested in hearing from users. I asked them to add the Dragonte route and received a nice email from the COO. It will be added once they have an accurate file for the path. I also asked about adding the new albergue one kilometer after Refuge Orisson. They said they were waiting to hear from the owner. I pointed out that their location for an albergue did not match what was shown on Google maps. They looked into it, found that their app was incorrect, and fixed it that same day. The folks at Guthook are interested in maintaining a very useful product. Let them know what is missing or what you think is incorrect. While walking the camino, if you find something important and of interest to other walkers, you can add a public note that would become available to all Guthook users. However, please do not abuse this feature.

Sorry about this long posting, but I hope my comments will be useful for others. I love reading everyone's posts. These blogs are incredibly useful. I greatly appreciate the information.

Buen camino,
Bob

Having used the Guthook App on the Appalachian Trail, I used it to walk CF in 2019. My phone is always in airplane mode and the app works well. Location/route was spot on everyday but one…

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back