• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gym leggings instead of "hiking pants"

Cristinaa

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Thoughts on gym leggings and running shorts instead of your traditional "zip off hiking pants"

I've bought a couple of pairs of pants and ..well I've already sold one on off on ebay..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thoughts on gym leggings and running shorts instead of your traditional "zip off hiking pants"

Ive bought a couple of pairs of pants and ..well ive already sold one on off on ebay..

We've both bought tights instead of hiking pants and have been training in them for quite a while.
They are fantastic!! Comfy, wash well, quick drying, provide a little bit of compression, tough, crease free............
My husband will be wearing lightweight shorts with his as he feels more comfortable, but I won't.
We also have 2 long sleeve dri-fit 1/2 zip tops with thumb holes.
Added benefit - maximum sun protection.
Hope this helps.

We've both bought tights instead of hiking pants and have been training in them for quite a while.
They are fantastic!! Comfy, wash well, quick drying, provide a little bit of compression, tough, crease free............
My husband will be wearing lightweight shorts with his as he feels more comfortable, but I won't.
Hope this helps.

Yep..well this is my theory also..its all I've been walking in! So I know they are comfy. If it gets too hot..I figure it wont be too dramatic to do a quick change somewhere with the help of my friend walking with me for cover up? Yes, not as quick and easy as just..zipping off..but do-able.
I've got my tops etc sorted, its just my bottoms I'm trying to figure out in my head.

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yep..well this is my theory also..its all ive been walking in! So i know they are comfy. If it gets too hot..i figure it wont be too dramatic to do a quick change somewhere with the help of my friend walking with me for cover up? Yes, not as quick and easy as just..zipping off..but do-able.
Ive got my tops etc sorted, its just my bottoms im trying to figure out in my head.

Thanks

We did a 15km walk up a mountain on the weekend in 30 degree heat and they were fine.
We won't be changing ours even if it gets hot.
They are made from sweat wicking fabric.

The down side is that you will miss your pockets. Macabi skirts are such a hit because of their pockets. I like knowing where money, passport, cellphone (for photos) are at all time: on me and not in a separate pack I know I will forget on a table after a cafe con leche.

I really like bringing workout leggings as well. i have changed both into and out of them while walking. its not too hard to do fairly discreetly. also they handle weight change well, which can happen on the camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A lot of the ladies walking the CF wear the gym leggings. Looks like a practical and lightweight thing to wear. Didn't see any men wearing them, though. As a guy I think I'd feel a bit like Peter Pan wearing them.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried out those compression sleeves for the calves? Do they seem to help reduce fatigue in the leg muscles?

Aside from being super-comfy, leggings (as well as yoga pants) have the advantages of being light, always fitting perfectly even if you gain or lose weight, and being able to be rolled up in the event of a hot day. They can also double as pajamas and can be layered under each other or under other pants. I plan to hike in them exclusively as I do not find trekking pants to be comfortable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's another skirt from a company called Purple Rain that's quite popular with the hiking crowd. It'd be fairly easy to change out of leggings if you were changing into a skirt....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A lot of the ladies walking the CF wear the gym leggings. Looks like a practical and lightweight thing to wear. Didn't see any men wearing them, though. As a guy I think I'd feel a bit like Peter Pan wearing them.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried out those compression sleeves for the calves? Do they seem to help reduce fatigue in the leg muscles?

I use the compression sleeves for calves and they work wonders for my legs while hiking. It does help with muscle fatigue. My vascular doctor says that we should be wearing them nearly all the time if we are walking this type of distance every day. I also have compression socks, but I'm using sleeves for the flexibility of changing socks mid-day on the camino.

I use the compression sleeves for calves and they work wonders for my legs while hiking. It does help with muscle fatigue. My vascular doctor says that we should be wearing them nearly all the time if we are walking this type of distance every day. I also have compression socks, but I'm using sleeves for the flexibility of changing socks mid-day on the camino.
Thanks. I've seen so many brands out there on the market and everyone gives them good reviews. I think I'll throw a couple of pair in the pack if I do the Camino again. I also think they may help keep my legs warm on the colder mornings too. I don't like wearing long pants when walking long distances.

€46,-

I've bought a couple of pairs of pants and ..well I've already sold one on off on ebay..

I love the leggings - I found some great Polarmax leggings (Comp4 Stretch Tight) that are technically a base layer but can be worn alone. The are great in the rain, still warm then quick dry. I also do just a basic New Balance light/quickdry legging that's great. Agree that it is nice to have pockets but I have a pouch for all my important items that I wear cross body. At the end of the day I find them SO much more comfy!

One of our legendary walkers (@mspath - Margaret) wears something similar. She's survived multiple winter caminos and anything she uses has a lot going for it.

Thanks for starting the thread, Cristinaa. I started down this path last year and ultimately stuck with my ex officio pants (very light, no zippers needed since I always walk with every possible inch of skin covered on my dermatologist's orders). But I walked with LT who always wore those leggings and they did look comfortable, except they left a chunk of her calf exposed to the sun, so I'd a longer one. I don't care about pockets because I carry all my valuables in a fanny pack (sorry, I know that term is offensive or funny or ridiculous to some nationalities, but I can't remember which ones!).

Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight brand? The other thing I'd need to change is my shirt, since I think my long sleeved hiking shirts would look funny, barely covering any of the leggings. Any suggestions?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annie, have you tired these? Based on advice here I ordered Eastbay male undies last hear but bought them too big the the leg kept rolling up. Also, ordered a 6 inch leg which was not long enough. Would love to k lw what you thought od thr ones you just mentioned.

No, I haven't tried them. But if I ordered, I'd want them snug for the reason you say.

Thanks for starting the thread, Cristinaa. I started down this path last year and ultimately stuck with my ex officio pants (very light, no zippers needed since I always walk with every possible inch of skin covered on my dermatologist's orders). But I walked with LT who always wore those leggings and they did look comfortable, except they left a chunk of her calf exposed to the sun, so I'd a longer one. I don't care about pockets because I carry all my valuables in a fanny pack (sorry, I know that term is offensive or funny or ridiculous to some nationalities, but I can't remember which ones!).

Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight brand? The other thing I'd need to change is my shirt, since I think my long sleeved hiking shirts would look funny, barely covering any of the leggings. Any suggestions?

I too have been told I must cover up from the harmful effects of the sun, so my mission was to find something that ticked all the boxes - comfort, compression, total sun protection (long legs & arms, thumb holes to cover tops of hands, collar), lightweight, crease free, wash and wear, quick drying, sweat wicking, good length in the top etc and finally came up the following:

http://www.adidas.com.au/go-to-gear-long-tights/A99656.html
https://www.nikestore.com.au/nike-element-half-zip-685910-696.html

I also bought a Buff to protect my ears and neck from the sun if necessary.
We will also be carrying all our valuables in a fanny pack so no need for pockets.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too have been told I must cover up from the harmful effects of the sun, so my mission was to find something that ticked all the boxes - comfort, compression, total sun protection (long legs & arms, thumb holes to cover tops of hands, collar), lightweight, crease free, wash and wear, quick drying, sweat wicking, good length in the top, thumb holes so the top covers the hands etc and finally came up the following:

We will also be carrying all our valuables in a fanny pack so no need for pockets.

Hope this helps.
Just get an umbrella. The Euroschwim something or other with silver on top might do the job.

I walk in a light compression tights and a ultra light shorts over, its supper comfortable and the best part is when it gets wet from rain it maintains you body heat it does this by creating a thin layer between the material and your skin therefore maintaining you body heat its great it dries fast too

zzotte

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I was much happier when I bought a pair of Adidas tights--while on Camino. I was in Leon when I bought them. The weather was getting colder, and I saw my size and went for it. They are extra long tights--black, of course. I absolutely love them. The waist band is a bit broader, and they aren't low-cut--which does not work well for me. I can wear my merino wool long underwear underneath them and stay really warm, and they move and breathe well. They also wash and dry really quickly. I also found that I was less liable to get them muddy, as with the long hiking pants I typically kick mud all over the back of them.

I did find that when I was in town, I was happier with a skirt pulled on over the tights, particularly and especially in church.
Tights definitely get my vote!

I did find that when I was in town, I was happier with a skirt pulled on over the tights, particularly and especially in church.
Tights definitely get my vote![/QUOTE]

I will also be taking something more modest for church and evenings.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe I'm of the wrong generation -- I think it's the clinging fit that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable -- maybe if I had a shirt that covered my butt I'd feel less "uncovered".
You can wear shorts over them, or skirts or dresses. Thats what I like about them. I wear shorts over them and I usually bring a lightwieght dress for afternoon evenings, and leggings work well under that as well.

Maybe I'm of the wrong generation -- I think it's the clinging fit that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable -- maybe if I had a shirt that covered my butt I'd feel less "uncovered".

I feel uncomfortable just walking in leggings as well. For the camino, I bought a purple rain skirt to wear over it. It is longer in length and it is modest for entering the churches. I also like the side pockets. http://www.purplerainskirts.com/hiking-skirts/ I literally just ordered it today. I can't wait until it arrives! I am guessing the Macabi skirt has some similar features. I liked the cut of the purple rain skirt a little more though, just a personal preference though.

During my Camino in September the majority of the European women were wearing gym legging...although the gym leggings the European women were wearing were very thin in comparison to the gym leggings sold in America...basically their gym leggings were almost completely transparent from behind in the early morning sun...not that I noticed or anything!

Last edited:
You can wear shorts over them, or skirts or dresses. Thats what I like about them. I wear shorts over them and I usually bring a lightwieght dress for afternoon evenings, and leggings work well under that as well.
Thanks, AZgirl, but if I am going to cover them with shorts or a skirt, I wonder why it doesn't just make more sense for me to wear light pants?

Thanks, AZgirl, but if I am going to cover them with shorts or a skirt, I wonder why it doesn't just make more sense for me to wear light pants?
As with any packing list, I think it just comes down to personal perference. Light pants may work better for you. I just like leggings. I like the compression and support they provide for my tired legs, and that they feel cozy to me. I wear them both on their own and as a baselayer, so for me I think they provide lots of options.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kris liked being able to layer them with skirts for more warmth and they lighter and more multipurpose than pants. She never walked in leggings only, rather as a inner layer or as comfortable lounge wear.

I wear loose fitting hiking pants. Not zip offs.

Can't really see the benefits of leggings. Surely they are hot in hot weather? And I can't see how they wold provide any protection from wind.

As for the hiking pants. I wear long regardless of weather. Saw lots of sunburnt legs!

Also being loose legged, the air gap between skin and fabric keeps my legs cool, and also protects a bit (for the same reason) from wind chill.

They dry in about an hour on the line or less.
But all to their own. ;)

Sweat wicking is great. But why create the sweat in the first place ? :D

During my Camino in September the majority of the European women were wearing gym legging...although the gym leggings the European were wearing were very thin in comparison to the gym leggings sold in America...basically their gym leggings were almost completely transparent from behind in the early morning sun...not that I noticed or anything!
Must have been made by Lululemon o_O

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Yes Mark ,after getting shin splints on my earlier Caminos I now always wear compression skins on my calves. No more shin splints and good support on long days.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having read all these comments and enjoyed everyone's slant on the leggings here's my bit - I originally started off the camino's in 2012 in all the fancy gear with zip offs etc and have now discovered that leggings are the way to go for me - they dry super quick, can pull them up as far as I want if it is very hot, can wear two pairs if it is very cold without feeling like a stuffed pillow and they are cheap ( I like colorful ones from cheaply stores) and at the end of my walk I am so sick of them I feel no remorse about binning them. But at the end of the day it is what you are comfortable in - oh and this is another thought if the other pilgrims don't like my butt in the skinnies they can always look at the flowers or wonderful scenery on route
Buen camino

Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
Been pondering over this same topic. We are walking in April/May. Will they be suitable??

My friend & I who are walking in April discussed this at lengths the other day. I only ever walk in Gym leggings (Lorna Jane ones). Love them they are so comfortable & I've worn them in hot & cold weather without any problems. I felt I needed hiking pants for the Camino but after trying on every available style & brand I'm back to gym leggings. My favourite ones come to just below my knees so I was thinking of combining them with compression skins (lower leg ones) for the colder mornings. I get very hot very quickly when walking so I don't think cold will be that much of a problem. I just feel that I wont get the wear out of hiking pants & I'm worried they may even cause chafing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I LOVE wearing leggings on the Camino during the cooler days (I walked in May/June 2015 when it was very warm most days) . Mine are not super thin but have a layer of fleece on the inside ....not very thick though. What I love even more are my short version of leggings. Simple biking shorts. I live in Florida and that is where I train and during the hot and humid months these are the most comfortable. They do't "bunch up" between your legs and prevent shafing.

They have many benefits, the bottom of the legs don't get dirty as fast, when it get wet from rain it retains body heat and more, the negative are few, I scare anything on my path and I look like a biciclino without a bici hahaha

zzotte

For my late autum/winter caminos I have only used winter weight runners' tights (and not hiking trousers ) from Decathlon; one pair for the trail and another for post showering. Made of an elastecene/polyester blend and relatively inexpensive they are great.

I learned from mspath to wear winter-weight running tights for winter walks. And I have been thinking of taking lighter tights this spring, mostly because I find most hiking pants are not that comfortable.

But, I have also been thinking about these very loose, very comfortable lightweight pants from North Face:

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/P...20001&langId=-1&productId=511319&storeId=7001

They are very comfortable and extremely forgiving. We have had masses of snow here lately and it has been very cold so I haven't had a chance to go on a long walk with them to see whether or not they rub. They have an elastic drawstring at the bottom that you can use to pull them in (keep the mud out) or presumably to pull them up -- but I don't think they would roll up as well as some of the hiking pants do. They would also accommodate camino weight loss and the inevitable post-camino weight gain!

Same. I cover up with a long loose fitting Tshirt which I find cooler and more flattering than tight athletic tops. Usually go for loose style men's, even large sizes in women's are too form fitting and short.

There's another skirt from a company called Purple Rain that's quite popular with the hiking crowd. It'd be fairly easy to change out of leggings if you were changing into a skirt....
I'm glad you mentioned this company. I just bought one of their skirts for the camino to wear over my running tights. I really like that they have side pockets.

Been pondering over this same topic. We are walking in April/May. Will they be suitable??

We will be walking in April and May also, so I do hope so.
We have been training in 30 degree heat hear atm and haven't had any problems.

We have been training

It may help you to get some significant hill work into your training programme. Until doing, say, 600 metres of elevation in a morning is easy. With all your gear on your back.

If I'm telling you something you already know, my apologies in advance: but some people say it's training the head as much as the body to do these things we haven't done for a long time, or ever.

Buen camino
Kia kaha (be strong)

It may help you to get some significant hill work into your training programme. Until doing, say, 600 metres of elevation in a morning is easy. With all your gear on your back.

If I'm telling you something you already know, my apologies in advance: but some people say it's training the head as much as the body to do these things we haven't done for a long time, or ever.

Buen camino
Kia kaha (be strong)

Thanks Alwyn. Sage advice indeed.
We are good with the hills (minus our packs) but we definitely know that's the next step in our training.
We did a 15km hike up a local mountain a few days ago in 30 degree celsius temps trying out our new trekking poles and all went well.
8 weeks to go - counting down.
Hopefully we haven't left our run too late regarding our preparation.

Same. I cover up with a long loose fitting Tshirt which I find cooler and more flattering than tight athletic tops. Usually go for loose style men's, even large sizes in women's are too form fitting and short.

I was wondering if anyone knows of loose and long athletic tops that would cover my butt when I am wearing tights. That is what I wear at home but they are cotton and I meed them to dry quickly. Someone suggested Men's but they would be big all over and I am petite. I have been training with light weight sweat pants and love them but they are also cotton, mine have pockets, they are danskin from Walmart! I have been looking for something similar in a fabric that would dry fast, any suggestions?

My second pants were leggings which I wear with very light nylon shorts. My wife wears hers with "skorts" modesty or politeness they work for us............... Willy/Utah/USA

I was wondering if anyone knows of loose and long athletic tops that would cover my butt when I am wearing tights. That is what I wear at home but they are cotton and I meed them to dry quickly. Someone suggested Men's but they would be big all over and I am petite. I have been training with light weight sweat pants and love them but they are also cotton, mine have pockets, they are danskin from Walmart! I have been looking for something similar in a fabric that would dry fast, any suggestions?
Yeah, my nieces have filched just about all my souvenir t-shirts from different places and countries. They like them because they are loose fitting. I've only got 2-3 left, ha ha.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We did a 15km walk up a mountain on the weekend in 30 degree heat and they were fine.
We won't be changing ours even if it gets hot.
They are made from sweat wicking fabric.
I walked with a pilgrim from Holland who wore running tights - sometimes a pair of shorts over them when we left on cold mornings. I had the baggy zip off pants so popular on the Camino. I will walk the next Camino in running tights!!!

Thanks. I've seen so many brands out there on the market and everyone gives them good reviews. I think I'll throw a couple of pair in the pack if I do the Camino again. I also think they may help keep my legs warm on the colder mornings too. I don't like wearing long pants when walking long distances.

I wear compression calf sleeves when running long distances (20km+) and found them very helpful to avoid injury and reduce pain. I have been considering bringing a pair along for the camino. I wear them on overseas flights so I'll have them in my suitcase anyway.

I feel uncomfortable just walking in leggings as well. For the camino, I bought a purple rain skirt to wear over it. It is longer in length and it is modest for entering the churches. I also like the side pockets. http://www.purplerainskirts.com/hiking-skirts/ I literally just ordered it today. I can't wait until it arrives! I am guessing the Macabi skirt has some similar features. I liked the cut of the purple rain skirt a little more though, just a personal preference though.

Do the pockets fasten on the Purple Rain skirt? It's hard to tell because the site has the models with hands in the skirt pockets. As long as I am wearing a skirt with pockets, I'd love to carry a few items that could be zipped or velcroed in. thx, nancyo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I bought REI's Sahara T Shirt in a larger size (I am size M but bought XL) and it has kind of a swing fit and is plenty long enough to cover my rear (which was my aim). http://www.rei.com/product/877919/rei-sahara-t-shirt-womens The photos don't show it being super long, but the reviewers mention that it is long and a bit loose, and that is what I found with this shirt. I am short-waisted, tho, so that helps. According to the description the shirt is: "the go-to hiking shirt for generations of REI customers." Big disclaimer here: I have not hiked the Camino in this shirt, but it's been great for casual wear. I have also bought women's UnderArmor shirts a couple sizes bigger and they are loose fitting and almost long enough. For my size and shape (and probably age!) men's shirts tend to get pretty big in the shoulders and not as loose as I'd like in the hips.

Last edited:
QUOTE="AlwynWellington, post: 379919, member: 13479"]@Anemone del Camino, can you please explain your reference?[/QUOTE]
Lululemon is a Canadian company that specialises in yoga gear. Expensive, trendy yoga gear. A retapil s'uccess story, until ...,.

It àlso sells outside of Canada.

A year or so ago, clients complained about the leggings being too sheer. Just imagine sheer leggings while in a dog downward pose... :confused::confused::confused:o_O

The CEO and founder had the cheek to imply, I should really find the quote, that the leggings were not at fault but the bodies of the women complaining about the product, ie fat women. The sam women who made him very rich buying his clothes. The The company board gave him the boot. A heavy,well constructed boot even if he was the founder. It is going to be a classic amongst business cases taught at MBAs with the McDonald's coffee being too hot.

I too have been told I must cover up from the harmful effects of the sun, so my mission was to find something that ticked all the boxes - comfort, compression, total sun protection (long legs & arms, thumb holes to cover tops of hands, collar), lightweight, crease free, wash and wear, quick drying, sweat wicking, good length in the top etc and finally came up the following:

Hope this helps.
What about a burka made by the Macabi skirt people? ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My lightweight zip-off pants do double duty as shorts/pants and quintuple duty (with five pockets) for carrying passport, wallet, sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, pocket knife, electronic gizmo... all those items that I want within easy reach. What do the tights/leggings wearers do with those items? Someone mentions wearing a "f----" pack, but isn't it a cumbersome pain when you've already got a backpack strap around your waist?!

As a tights wearer all the important bits are in a flat moneybag around the waist and hidden under a shirt. Smartphone hangs from a lanyard about my neck. Both moneybag and smartphone go to the shower in a strong plastic sack.

I've been finding 'workout/travel' leggings with pockets somewhat regularly over the past year or so. Obviously, the pockets would be most useful for flatter objects, but I really the idea. Typically where I've seen (and purchased) them are on the Sierra Trading Post site, out of Wyoming. The brand I like the most is Lole, which I believe is international, but based in Montreal. The prices are cheaper however on the Sierra site.
I've also recently discovered a type of wrist-band pocket that seems to have been designed to carry a phone but looks like it would work much better for just a secret pocket while traveling. That I came across on a packing list off of pinterest, which had an Amazon link. The brand name for them is Sprigs. For the record, I have pretty narrow wrists and the ones I've ordered (but not tested out yet) fit fine. The material is pretty comfortable. The pocket size is smaller than a passport.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do the pockets fasten on the Purple Rain skirt? It's hard to tell because the site has the models with hands in the skirt pockets. As long as I am wearing a skirt with pockets, I'd love to carry a few items that could be zipped or velcroed in. thx, nancyo
I will let you know when I receive them. That part wasn't important to me. I was just thrilled to have side pockets to hold misc. items.

Finding hiking pants that fit - zip-off or no - is a challenge. I have some that fit well from Athleta, but they stopped making them. I've got a pair from REI that fit reasonably well, but the pockets suck, and they are kind of a tight fit, so not so comfy in the heat. The search continues... I tried on 6 pairs last weekend. I might go the route of leggings as well.

The down side is that you will miss your pockets. Macabi skirts are such a hit because of their pockets. I like knowing where money, passport, cellphone (for photos) are at all time: on me and not in a separate pack I know I will forget on a table after a cafe con leche.

Slightly off topic, but I've been wondering if anyone has tried the new slim-line Macabi skirts? I am 5"7" and a size 16 and prefer not to have reams of extra fabric around my middle (picture Spanish Galleon in full sail:)). I'm wondering if the slimline version would be more flattering but still provide an adequate "space" for easy movement?

Finding hiking pants that fit - zip-off or no - is a challenge. I have some that fit well from Athleta, but they stopped making them. I've got a pair from REI that fit reasonably well, but the pockets suck, and they are kind of a tight fit, so not so comfy in the heat. The search continues... I tried on 6 pairs last weekend. I might go the route of leggings as well.
In preparation for a 2013 trip to Southern Utah I tried on every pair of convertible hiking pant that REI had. My favorite were a roll-up-and-snap pair from North Face, but they stopped making them. I was recently in REI and on a whim I bought some Kuhl "Splash" roll up pants and I absolutely love them. They have a bunch of pockets including 2 on the thighs that are big enough to hold a cell phone or a passport, but still fairly flat. The legs are on the loose side; for added ventilation they roll up to mid-shin and have snaps. After a couple of months walking at home I bought a second pair. Fit is a very individual thing, but for reference, Athleta pants usually fit me well.

I might go the route of leggings as well.

I know the thread is "gym-leggings instead of hiking pants". but:

With all the talk of heat and discomfort, why not revert to / consider light weight hiking skirts or kilts.

The issue then is protecting the legs from the sun. I have, accidentally, had that issue solved for me as I have been prescribed pressure hose for varicose veins. These reach up to the knee. And my hiking kilt (with pockets) and rain kilt/skirt (without) reach below the knee.

I know the thread is "gym-leggings instead of hiking pants". but:

With all the talk of heat and discomfort, why not revert to / consider light weight hiking skirts or kilts.

The issue then is protecting the legs from the sun. I have, accidentally, had that issue solved for me as I have been prescribed pressure hose for varicose veins. These reach up to the knee. And my hiking kilt (with pockets) and rain kilt/skirt (without) reach below the knee.
Ah, but there is stillthe issue of thigh rub...

Last edited by a moderator:
What do the tights/leggings wearers do with those items?
I normally only buy clothes with reasonable pockets. However, on the camino I would only use pockets for kleenex. When I travel, especially for a long trip with frequent moves, I am very particular about having all of my valuables and special items always in the same place so I know they are safe. I have a flat pouch/purse with a cross-body strap and have it on my body virtually always. If I don't have it on, I feel naked. When I change into evening clothes, I transfer the pouch immediately, and don't have to rummage through pockets to find things. Since it is flat, I can put my jacket over it if it is raining (or I'm walking through certain areas of Madrid or Barcelona). I can take one arm out, so it hangs around my neck, and change shirt layers without removing it. It is very light weight - I made it myself to exactly fit the things I carry. I also have a small emergency stash of cash and credit card elsewhere.

Wear what you feel comfortable in and won't cause chaffing. The wrong fabric can rub you the wrong way and after 30km will be most uncomfortable.

Me personally i'm walking in a T-shirt and gym workout shorts. Small and compact but ultimately the most comfortable for ME during a hike. One poster mentioned pockets and I think this is also important as I like to carry my cash on me at all times. (the safest place on the camino). so if you can counter the 'storage' issue, then go for it!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like to carry my cash on me at all times.

I recommend stashing all of your valuables in your pack...but carry change and several small bills in a wrist wallet for small purchases along the trail...so you will never have to show where your real money is hidden...worked great for all the trail side vendors.

Wrist Wallet.jpg Wrist Wallet.jpg

I recommend stashing all of your valuables in your pack...but carry change and several small bills in a wrist wallet for small purchases along the trail...so you will never have to show where your real money is hidden...worked great for all the trail side vendors.

View attachment 24143 View attachment 24143

I always have my 'disposable' money in a different spot than my bigger cash. So when I pay for stuff, they'll never see more than maybe 30 euros. This has worked for me across over 50 countries, mostly staying in hostels. But yes is only of use if you are comfortable carrying cash, but I'm never foolish enough to carry my entire holiday funds in one form. Also have 3 seperate cash cards to access from ATM's etc, and they also all stored in different locations, so if one is lost or stolen, I can transfer funds between the three via online banking

Slightly off topic, but I've been wondering if anyone has tried the new slim-line Macabi skirts? I am 5"7" and a size 16 and prefer not to have reams of extra fabric around my middle (picture Spanish Galleon in full sail:)). I'm wondering if the slimline version would be more flattering but still provide an adequate "space" for easy movement?
I have it. Here is a picture on me, I am smaller but to me it seems pretty big. This is a size small, short. I am about 5'3" 135 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
I'm learning a lot from a Quebecois(?) today.

What is "high rub..."?
Should have read thigh rub. Ipad was giving particular typing problems yesterday, typing letters on its own, and not typing the ones I typed. Problem resolved on its own overnight apparently.

I have it. Here is a picture on me, I am smaller but to me it seems pretty big. This is a size small, short. I am about 5'3" 135 pounds.

And very nice it looks too :)
I wear the same size 'normal' Macabi, couldn't justify buying the new version :(

And very nice it looks too :)
I wear the same size 'normal' Macabi, couldn't justify buying the new version :(
The new version apparently only had 4 inches less of fabric. I am wondering if it would not be a nicer fit if it started at the stop with a waistbadand, 4 inches or so, and then had the "skirt" start from there. I had 2 skirts from the same store when I was at uni: one bunched up the fabric from the top, like the Macaci, the other, the way I just described. Guess which I wore the most? The one that was most flattering. o_O Granted, that would require a zipper to don the skirt on and off as it would be much narrower at the top. Oh the things we could do to a Macabi to make it just perfect!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
and no sunburn is a plus!

Hope this helps.
I think it would depend what time of year you are walking right? Cause holy cow the top while protecting your skin in July it may cook you from the inside out!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We hiked in the early spring, and I used a vest with lots of pockets for my money, passport, cellphone, camera, tickets. Rarely in the afternoon when it was very warm, I would have to take it off and stuff in my backpack.

Thanks, Imsundaze! It does look nice on you. I am indeed larger but I should say I'm an Australian size 16, which apparently is only a size 14 in the US! Ha ha! Still, as Anemone says below, I think a waistband and more fitted hips would suit me better. Maybe we should petition Macabi???:)

The new version apparently only had 4 inches less of fabric. I am wondering if it would not be a nicer fit if it started at the stop with a waistbadand, 4 inches or so, and then had the "skirt" start from there. I had 2 skirts from the same store when I was at uni: one bunched up the fabric from the top, like the Macaci, the other, the way I just described. Guess which I wore the most? The one that was most flattering. o_O Granted, that would require a zipper to don the skirt on and off as it would be much narrower at the top. Oh the things we could do to a Macabi to make it just perfect!

I totally agree with you about the waistband plus fitted four inches or so being much more flattering to wear. Perhaps you could provide some modified designs to Macabi? You could have a Velcro strip fastener instead of a zipper...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Imsundaze! It does look nice on you. I am indeed larger but I should say I'm an Australian size 16, which apparently is only a size 14 in the US! Ha ha! Still, as Anemone says below, I think a waistband and more fitted hips would suit me better. Maybe we should petition Macabi???:)
I have an idea about this. I have a Purple Rain hiking skirt, the waistband is stretchy Lycra as is used for yoga pants. The Macabi could be as it is except with that kind of smooth top instead of elastic. I wouldn't like a normal fitted waist because those always slide down on me, and don't want to wear a belt under the backpack hip belt.

Leggings/tights and shorts are a regular sight on the US trails for male and female. Removal when things warm up is an issue -solved if a kilt or skirt is worn. Not sure if GB is ready for the combination for males. Usually black.

You could have a Velcro strip fastener

Not quite following the clothing design details that got to this post, and far be it for a mere male to have a view on clothing, but ...

I recently got a garment that used Velcro to strips (sewn top and bottom, so quite inflexible) to bind the ends around the waist. Even though the Velcro was not immediately against the skin I ended up with welts where the wait band of the pack interacted with the Velcro. Wore it like that just the once.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will let you know when I receive them. That part wasn't important to me. I was just thrilled to have side pockets to hold misc. items.

I just received my purple rain skirt. They have two pockets on each side of the skirt. One pocket is open - one you can put your hands in easily. On top of that same pocket is another pocket with a flap and it is velcroed. You have a total of 4 pockets on the skirt.

The gal who makes these skirts is a relative of mine and they're great. They are flattering and versatile to wear out and about as well!

Yes I did leggings for all my walks last year. I went 3850 KMs over 6 months with no pants only leggings or shorts.

My friend & I who are walking in April discussed this at lengths the other day. I only ever walk in Gym leggings (Lorna Jane ones). Love them they are so comfortable & I've worn them in hot & cold weather without any problems. I felt I needed hiking pants for the Camino but after trying on every available style & brand I'm back to gym leggings. My favourite ones come to just below my knees so I was thinking of combining them with compression skins (lower leg ones) for the colder mornings. I get very hot very quickly when walking so I don't think cold will be that much of a problem. I just feel that I wont get the wear out of hiking pants & I'm worried they may even cause chafing.
I wore below-the-knee tights this past summer. Unknown to me when I left home, they were too tight. The hem made a red ring around the top of my calf--and more important they cause me quite a bit of knee pain. Enough that I passed on going up into the bell tower of the cathedral in Pontevedra! Waited for my sweetie to come back down after he went without me. If the tights fits properly, they're extremely comfortable to walk in. If it falls out that we can walk on pilgrimage again--and we're hoping so!--I will take the yoga pants that I used to wear to exercise class, and also a lovely hiking skirt with bloomers that I found. And the gray pair of zip off pants that have been on 2 Caminos so far. (But not to be worn in sweaty hot 90-plus degree walking days as the wet stitching on the crotch seams caused killer raw chafe marks. And just try explaining that to the pharmacist when you don't have a whole lot of vocabulary in common!)
FWIW, everyone's experience with clothing is at least a little different.

I wore below-the-knee tights this past summer. Unknown to me when I left home, they were too tight. The hem made a red ring around the top of my calf--and more important they cause me quite a bit of knee pain. Enough that I passed on going up into the bell tower of the cathedral in Pontevedra! Waited for my sweetie to come back down after he went without me. If the tights fits properly, they're extremely comfortable to walk in. If it falls out that we can walk on pilgrimage again--and we're hoping so!--I will take the yoga pants that I used to wear to exercise class, and also a lovely hiking skirt with bloomers that I found. And the gray pair of zip off pants that have been on 2 Caminos so far. (But not to be worn in sweaty hot 90-plus degree walking days as the wet stitching on the crotch seams caused killer raw chafe marks. And just try explaining that to the pharmacist when you don't have a whole lot of vocabulary in common!)
FWIW, everyone's experience with clothing is at least a little different.
The ones I'm wearing are ones that I wear all year round here in Australia. Have tried a few other different ones but keep coming back to the ones I already have. Luckily they are a style that they continue to make so I have no problems getting more.

Check out pants by LUCY.they're amazing, very light yet warm enough, pockets, ties at the ankles so you can wear them shorter, too.

€46,-
I just received my purple rain skirt. They have two pockets on each side of the skirt. One pocket is open - one you can put your hands in easily. On top of that same pocket is another pocket with a flap and it is velcroed. You have a total of 4 pockets on the skirt.
thanks so much!!! putting one of those skirts on my shopping list

Yes I did leggings for all my walks last year. I went 3850 KMs over 6 months with no pants only leggings or shorts.

Did you ever wish you had shorts or something else because of the warmer weather? Also, were your leggings full leg? Or capri?

Did you ever wish you had shorts or something else because of the warmer weather? Also, were your leggings full leg? Or capri?

I had shorts. :) Had 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of cargo shorts and 1 pair of under-armor leggings. Full leggings.

€46,-
Dumped my Lowe long cottonmix trousers rightaway in Burgos on arrival, too heavy . Donned my bicycle neoprene leggings under my lightweight Haglöfs shorts, all lightweight and warm for the 0 to 2 degrees C early mornings in May.
Looked at right berk but with my looped wool longsleeve and a wind running vest, I was comfortabely warm up to 10 o´clock where I started steaming and subsequently de-layered and ended up in synthetic meshed running tee shirt over the mid day sun on the meseta.
Worked wonders, and did not fill up in the rucksack...walked in shorts the rest of the way come rain or shine...

Attachments

• DSCF4227.JPG
    DSCF4227.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.