• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gym leggings instead of "hiking pants"

Another vote for Skins that @Maxie suggested. They are very pricey but I have used my length A200 tights and sports bra for 3 years for regular workouts at the gym or basic 10km trail hikes. Add an Icebreaker merino tee and I'm set!

But the best thing are the recovery pants and tops:
https://www.skins.net/uk/skins-ry400-womens-long-tights.html
https://www.skins.net/uk/skins-ry400-womens-top-long-sleeve.html

I wear them after showering or sleep with them and it is like nothing else in the morning. The best evidence I have gotten out of them is wearing them on 30 hour Australia-to-Europe flights in a cramped economy seat without a swollen limb, clicking tendon or sore muscle in sight.

If you want one over the other, I advocate more for recovery skins to wear post-walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thoughts on gym leggings and running shorts instead of your traditional "zip off hiking pants"

I've bought a couple of pairs of pants and ..well I've already sold one on off on ebay..
I wore leggings through the day whilst hiking and lightweight travel pants at night. Nicer for going out for dinner etc. They were the only bottoms I took and worked a treat. The leggings dried very quickly and the pants only needed washing once a week.

I am also a convert to compression running tights in all weathers. Super comfortable (supportive and no chaffing); lightweight; no underwear required; uber fast drying. They provide great sun protection and winter tights are comfortable in freezing temperatures. I do wear very lightweight shorts on top to preserve my modesty though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
- when I left for Seville at a time when there was still snow in Denmark, I took my bicycle single leggins under my shorts to the airport. Changing in Barcelona Airport, now a whole lot warmer, it was an easy task to remove them individually and pocket them in the toilet cubicle without too much fuss..
Having an extra pair of long legged trousers was too much luggage and this procedure has served me well.
On long, rainy days, they serve as an extra layer against the rain, carried under the poncho.
Being of synthetic material they will dry easily, when worn to dry or worn in the sleeping bag at night...

I am also a convert to compression running tights in all weathers. Super comfortable (supportive and no chaffing); lightweight; no underwear required; uber fast drying. They provide great sun protection and winter tights are comfortable in freezing temperatures. I do wear very lightweight shorts on top to preserve my modesty though.
I like having pockets to put things in so I also wear shorts on top

A lot of the ladies walking the CF wear the gym leggings. Looks like a practical and lightweight thing to wear. Didn't see any men wearing them, though. As a guy I think I'd feel a bit like Peter Pan wearing them.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried out those compression sleeves for the calves? Do they seem to help reduce fatigue in the leg muscles?

I have tried them, but they didn't seem to help.

I often tape the calves if I feel shin splints coming on, but I now take a foam physio roller. That seems to work best of all.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have tried them, but they didn't seem to help.

I often tape the calves if I feel shin splints coming on, but I now take a foam physio roller. That seems to work best of all.

If you invest half as much time as you spend typing on here in building up your general muscle strength @Robo you'll never look back on your 2022 Camino 😉🤣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re tights, I walk in them a lot, and always wear tights and a skirt on long walks now. Currently I am torn between wearing my eye-wateringly expensive but very, very nice Fjällräven Abisko Trail model (not Trekking, the material and seams are too rough) with pockets on both thighs, one zipped and one perfect for my mobile, covered with a flap, with any old long top over; or any old comfortable tights with a Purple Rain Adventure skirt, also with pockets on both thighs and a very comfortable yoga waist band. I still keep my passport, credencial etc in my little crossbody bag, but the thigh pockets are great for a mobile, guidebook, lip balm and assorted bits and bobs. Much better than trousers, at least for me.

I wore jogging tights with very light weight soccer shorts over them. They were good in the heat and the chill (Sept to Nov1) and my legs were protected from the sun and bugs. They dry so fast and there is no need for underwear and I had no problems with chafing. I highly recommend them.

I was not the only man in 2019 wearing them, but there were many more women wearing them (usually without the shorts).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Only problem with shorts............is sun burnt legs :oops:

You might consider knee high hose. Like those worn with the kilt.

I know a fine upstanding gentleman who wears both and, last time I looked, not a sign of sunburn. Not even the knees.

They also "hide" pressure hose if (incipient) varicose veins is an issue.

Kia kaha

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I mostly walked my last Camino in zip-off pants . I like the pockets for my passport, money, etc. However, I do take a pair of lightweight leggings which I can wear to bed or wear as an under layer on cold mornings. I also take a very lightweight sarong. Can be used as a privacy screen, day or night, a light sleeping sheet on a hot night, or a throw over my head if there a mosquitoes at night.
If wearing my black leggings for a "night out" for tapas, or evening church, I can simply tie the sarong around for a more "formal" look. Plain black socks with my black sandals & black leggings, add any top & a big smile, & I'm good to go anywhere, even in time before & after the Camino when in places/countries wher the just-off-the-track look may not be as acceptable.
Everything you pack should be multi-purpose ( except maybe toothbrush ).
Enjoy!!!😀

It would kill me to walk in leggings .I wear light hiking trousers and a light black pair as my second pair.
My legs swell after walking for hours.

Thoughts on gym leggings and running shorts instead of your traditional "zip off hiking pants"

I've bought a couple of pairs of pants and ..well I've already sold one on off on ebay..
Agree, running shorts if its warm , running tights if it’s not. I dont need pockets as I have a big rucksack to put stuff in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wore compression leggings on a camino that followed surgery and they were very very comfortable. they had a side pocket for phone, dried quickly and were both cool and warm to accommodate weather. I did bring a 'rip skirt' ( lightweight wraparound skirt from Hawaii ) to provide modesty in cathedrals, etc...packing the same bottoms along with shorts for the Portuguese this June

The down side is that you will miss your pockets. Macabi skirts are such a hit because of their pockets. I like knowing where money, passport, cellphone (for photos) are at all time: on me and not in a separate pack I know I will forget on a table after a cafe con leche.
The leggings I have, are 7/8 length which are brilliant if you are petite. They have mesh panel's in the leg and two deep pockets one on either side, deep enough for a mobile phone and loose change/mask/gloves without feeling that something is going to drop out of them. Quick dry and moisture wicking.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.