• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hair dryers???

Hermanita

Hello all. I just joined and am planning on walking the Camino Frances in September.
Can anyone tell me...are there hair dryers in the alburges?? If not, what do you ladies do about hair? Shall I cut it real short before leavling home?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hair dryers in albergues?-reminds me of the albergue in Rabanal: being shown my bed by the hospitalero I asked where the jacuzi was. The answer was a snappy 'there isn't one!'
I suggest you adopt my strategy:
step 1: have a number one haircut
step 2: when hair becomes long enough to need a hairdryer....repeat step 1

If you take one you will be very popular, for I remember in Pamplona people used one to dry their socks since everything was so humid after days of rain. But is it worth the weight?
Don't cut your hair..... shower when you get to the albergue and you will see how quickly your hair dries. My hair was long and thick and dried much quicker than it does here in Florida. The air is drier there....even the clothes on the line dried very quickly.
Now what about shampoo, conditioner, brush, hair ties.....
Lillian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the replies.
The extra weight is not worth carrying a hairdryer. My hair is very fine and short so it should air dry rather quickly.

I actually did the opposite. I let my hair grow a little longer so I could pull it up in a cap or a ponytail and keep it out of the way. But it dries so quickly in the dry air of Spain that a hair dryer is not necessary.
Buen Camino,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Deirdre and Cecelia. That seems to be the oppinion of so many that I talk to. But since I am in my 60's, I may opt for shorter hair. or who knows...ponytail it may be!!

While there are no hair dryers in the albergues, lots of female pilgrims have long hair, so there's no need to cut it short. it's simply a matter of washing the hair and letting it dry naturally - every woman will be doing the same thing. When walking wear it however you prefer, in a pony tail, hanging loose, it doesn't matter. The Camino is not a fashion parade, and no-one will judge you by the way you look.

However, I have to admit to the occasional night in an hotel to take advantage of a shower and room to myself, plus a hairdryer!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haha! Sorry this post had me giggling! I don't think you need to worry too much! I've done 2 camino trips with long hair and I've never even thought about a hair dryer. If you're lucky it'll be sunny and you can let the sun dry your hair. If you're unlucky and its raining then it won't matter as you and your hair will be soaking wet anyway!
Lots of people cut their hair short before they go. I had it in 2 plaits when it was very long (the first year) to avoid tassles. My friend put hers entirely in braids last year so that she wouldn't have to worry about it too much. I would go with whatever's easiest for you to manage and assume that by the end of your camino you probably won't care what your hair is doing :)

elzi said:
My friend put hers entirely in braids last year so that she wouldn't have to worry about it too much.
Hi Elzi
Now there's an idea!! How would a granny look with a head full of braids HaHa!!!
I would love to do the braid thing, but unfortunately I have very fine thin hair so that won't do. But it makes sense for those who are younger and have nice long hair.

I would go with whatever's easiest for you to manage and assume that by the end of your camino you probably won't care what your hair is doing :)[/

You are so right. And I probably will be wearing a hat lots of the time anyways.

Rita

There were a couple of hairdryers at the Albergue Casa Mari in Torres del Rio, but that's the only place that I came accross them. Take advantage of the sun whenever possible and dry your hair in the open. As Trudi mentioned, we are not on a fashion parade!
Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back