• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hair

Hmm, this might sound strange, but on all the packing lists I've ever come across I've never seen a mention of anything to do with hair.

I happen to have really long, fine, knotty hair which I really don't want to part with. Do most pilgrims have really short hair? (I mean women here, men usually have short hair anyway.) I ca see that it would be much more practical not to have to bother with brushing it and washing it and etc. Are people going to stare at me if I take a hairbrush? (Not that I'd really care, though.)

Just curious!
Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well I am on the Via and I have long hair. Walked the CF last year as well. I always wondered about the weight of the hairbrush I had to take....as JohnnyWalker always says...weight, weight, weight.
I had a loss of mind :shock: moment last year when I thought....hmmm, if I cut my hair I could save some weight with hair stuff....the hair, the brush, conditioner. It´s still long. {phew}
It´s that you never see hair stuff on people´s packing lists.
Lillian

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Alson Raju in her Tips for Pilgrims says get a crew cut! I slightly blanched at that but am getting my hair cut progressivley shorter as I prepare forthe Camino Ingles in September. For me the great liberation will be to dispense with a hair dryer!

I have thick, curly, shoulder length hair. I brought a very small (about two inch in diameter) round brush. I think it is the portable type meant to be carried in a purse. It had no handle so was very small. I nearly always had my hair pulled back in a pony tail. Most people I saw either had a small comb or a small brush. I found mine in the area of a store where they sell travel sized shampoo, soap, etc. It was light and took up very little space but kept my hair from being in one big knot. I didn't think it was too frivolous. I know they say the little things add up but the total weight I carried was about 6.5 kg. .

I cut mine short & then kept it back off of my face with a bandana. I hate having my hair fly in my face all the time. That being said, I rather like my hair cut short & besides, with short hair, you don't use as much shampoo or conditioner, so you don't have to carry as much. ;)

Kelly

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Women pilgrims hairstyles are just the same as they are at home, though perhaps not quite as stylish due to lack of hairdryers. Men too, one day I watched fascinated as a young man sat in an albergue courtyard combing out his waist length hair.

However, almost every woman I've seen on the Camino had a hairbrush. I took a fairly small, lightweight one, and wouldn't be without it. While my hair is not overly long, it is very thick and needs that brush. I also took a very small bottle of conditioner which I used on the ends of my hair once it was dry, ie I didn't wash it out.

I have shortish hair and will definitely be taking a (small) brush, shampoo, conditioner. Found a brush for travelling where the handle folds up over the bristles (if you know what I mean).

I can do without most things but absolutely have to wash my hair almost every day :oops:

I always have a very short, back to school, short back and sides haircut before going on a long walk. A combination hair/shampoo shower gel works well. A friend told me that he showers with his clothes on so that he washes both at the same time!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
sillydoll said:
A combination hair/shampoo shower gel works well. A friend told me that he showers with his clothes on so that he washes both at the same time!

I guess that would mean the conditioner acts as fabric softener too!! :wink:

Artemisofephesus said:
Hmm, this might sound strange, but on all the packing lists I've ever come across I've never seen a mention of anything to do with hair.

I happen to have really long, fine, knotty hair which I really don't want to part with. Do most pilgrims have really short hair? (I mean women here, men usually have short hair anyway.) I ca see that it would be much more practical not to have to bother with brushing it and washing it and etc. Are people going to stare at me if I take a hairbrush? (Not that I'd really care, though.)

Just curious!
Buen Camino.

Good question! I had short hair last time I did the Camino but plan on doing it again this June/July and it is longer this time around. I did carry a brush with me last time but I can't remember bothering much with it. In either case, it doesn't add too much weight.

Hey, if it's long enough..braids or pony tails..I don't have enough length for that anymore...or the inclination either...comb it and walk...one "girl" thing I'm grateful not to have to worry about...as it's pretty wavy, curly depending on the weather...Heck, that's not a lick different that what I do when getting dressed for work at home! Saw a lot of bandana's, ponytails and hair bands as well as lots of short hair!!

enjoy your trip,

Karin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked a while with a lovely south african lady called Loreen who got through the tough last few km each day by brushing her long hair as she went along! She also got a wash and blow dry every few days at local Peluquerias (hair salons) along the way, which she said was inexpensive and made her feel great. Loreen, I hope you are reading this: you rock!!

The hair question...here's my opinion.

I made it through Air Force basic training and Peace Corps and travels in Africa with waist length hair.

To me, long hair is easier to manage. I can ponytail it, twist it up and hold it with a stick or a pencil, braid it, etc. No crazy "bedhead" to deal with. I carry a wide-tooth comb (brushes damage hair).

I wash my locks about twice a week and use just a cap of shampoo/condtioner each time. I wash it at night and by morning it is almost dry. I avoid hair dryers.

And yes, I have had short hair in recent years. I "chopped off" my long locks back in 2003 when I thought I was starting to look a bit like Ozzie Osbourne (sp?). Post haircut, I would wake up with crazy bedhead and hat head was another issue. When my hair is short it takes on some wild aspirations - sooooo unruly and frequently in need of attention, equipment and products. Not to mention all those pesky short hairs flying around my face when I was outside in the wind, even with a bandana. My hair is long again and we are getting along nicely, though hair that was once almost black is now silver...

That's my opinion/experience...

Life is good...

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back