• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hair

judy jackstadt

Texas Judy
Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2017
Spring 2019
I know that we’re not supposed to care how we look while doing the Camino, but maybe someone can share a trick to help me. I’m 70, female with short wavy-ish hair. When I take a shower in the evening, wash my hair and then sleep on it, the next morning it looks crazy. Some parts are curly and some parts stand straight up. It’s not the end of the world. I did it. But does anyone have any tips that worked for them?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Generally I have a shower when I've finished walking for the day, so 2-3pm in the afternoon, which gives it plenty of time to dry.
I take two outfits, so my day goes, walk, shower, wash clothes, dinner, sleep, repeat.
If you wash your clothes any later they wont dry. So by default your hair will dry too.

Last edited:
Hi, Judy. I have the same problem! My hair takes on a life of its own sometimes, especially in humid climates (and in the absence of a hair dryer). Try wearing a silk scarf at night to protect your hair or just put a square of silk over your pillow before sleeping on it. You can buy silk special scarves or pillowcases or just buy a half metre of silk in a fabric store and experiment with it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know that we’re not supposed to care how we look while doing the Camino, but maybe someone can share a trick to help me. I’m 70, female with short wavy-ish hair. When I take a shower in the evening, wash my hair and then sleep on it, the next morning it looks crazy. Some parts are curly and some parts stand straight up. It’s not the end of the world. I did it. But does anyone have any tips that worked for them?

I think if I had short hair I would go to a man's barber and have them cut it very short before going. I used to do that many years ago when I was sailing competitively because barbers often cut very well if you want a plain, short cut. Now it's very long - I can nearly sit on it - and it's surprisingly easy to deal with. it started to go grey when I was about 14 and was completely white by the time I was 30. I used to get strange looks, then my face caught up with the hair. These days I get funny looks because I'm obviously old and wrinkly and still have long hair.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Caring how you look isn't vanity, it's a compliment to the Spanish people who always look well dressed. I also have short hair but I don't wash it until it needs it which is usually every 3-4 days. After I wash my hair I spray it with a little hair styling product in a sample size and if no hair dryer available just let it air dry. Then in the morning I spray it with a little water and it's looking good. I also carry a cute fedora hat for the sun and a bandana cut in half diagonally that looks cute as a head band on unruly hair. Another thought is to get your hair cut very short before you leave--thats what I do. Very fashionable and easy. I am 73 and have been called the most fashionable woman on the Camino yet my backpack is still only 10 pounds.52571

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Same age similar hair, it gets cut shorter than usual before I travel. I wash it right after I get to the albergue and in the morning I dampen it with my wet fingers. It does ok. Not like usual, but ok. No one cringed when they saw me.

I don't think I ever showered right before bed on a Camino. Generally, I would arrive at the albergue in early afternoon and shower not too long after. After the shower was laundry time (washing the dirty clothes I had worn to walk before the shower), and I want there to be time for the clothes to dry, so I want to do laundry early. That means there is generally lots of time for my hair to dry between the shower and then sleeping on it.

However, were that not to be the case, there is always my hat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow that happens only on the Camino? That’s me all the time. Simple don’t look in the mirror and call it 80s style unkempt wind blown. maybe bit Meg Ryan’s Hair in French Kiss.😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Check out this cool video on the different ways to wear a buff;

LOVED mine!!
Very very cool indeed. Thank you so much for supplying this! Plus I like your wild hair in your photo. Janine

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have curly hair that can get quite frizzy especially when on camino ... I'll second T2Andreo's recommendation of buffs... i find using buff as a headband very useful! But for my last few caminos I have also brought a very small bottle of almond oil (from l'occitane) which can be used as a face or body moisturiser, hair oil, cleanser etc etc. I happen to love that brand but I am sure that other high quality oil could be used instead - the good thing about the oil is that you only need a TINY bit to calm hair..... i usually decant a portion of the purchased bottle into a little travel size. Hope this is of help 🆒

Like what?

Some examples, but there are others, limited only by your imagination...

Hand & Face towel... this should be obvious. The Buff is microfiber, and dries very fast. Most cafe / bar restrooms do not have hand towels. I have seen folks running the Camino, wearing the Buff on their heads or wrists, then using it as their bath towel at nightly albergue stops....eeeuw!

Compression bandage - I fell over a one-meter high fence a couple of Caminos ago and scratched my head... Though the wound was very small, it bled prodigiously. I used a packet of facial tissues, with the plastic rolled back to cover one side, then affixed the field-expedient bandage in place using the Buff. It did the trick. Once I reached the day's end, all was well...

Head, Neck or Wrist "radiator" - if you are overheating, and on your way to heatstroke, soak the Buff in water, wring it out lightly and either wear it around your neck or double it over to wear on a wrist. It cools the pressure point using evaporative cooling and lowers your core temperature, pulling you back from the brink of fainting. This has saved me multiple times in this manner.

These ideas are in addition to the more plebeian ways of wearing the Buff to control your hair...such as it is... All Buffs come with a card explaining how you can wear it.

If you have another clever use, you might wish to share it... or not... depending on how TMI it is...

Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Short and wear a hat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I actually look pretty okay with blow dry and makeup but not willing to carry that. Lol. I love the Camino and am starting the Frances for the second time of March 27 in SJPDP! Sending love to the forum peeps!

A female in my 60’s I get my hair cut very short by the local barber about every 6 weeks. When I head out on a Camino I get it cut very, very short. I don’t need a comb & never suffer from bed or hat hair. I realise that this may not suit every woman!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m in my early 50s and have shoulder length, straight hair. I make sure I let it stay long (short hair is too much hassle for me) before hiking. That way I can wear it in a pony tail during the day. Which is a must for me since I get so hot in Spain. Ironically, I cut it shorter, to below my chin for my scuba diving trips since that dries faster on boats :)
I carry a very lightweight soft ball cap to put on when I go into bars during the day. Just to cover the wet hair if it has been raining so I don’t look so unkempt.

Hi Judy- love your hair in the pic! I walked the CF last year & had to decide to accept my hair. I wear it very short & spiky, but by the end of the six-week walk, it was too long to spike & would simply flop over. Styling gel was one of the things I left at home. As others have said, I showered upon arrival at each albergue so had dry hair by bedtime. Worrying about my hair when I wore a hat all day made no sense. I was crazy glad to visit my hairdresser as soon as I returned home! Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have curly hair that can get quite frizzy especially when on camino ... I'll second T2Andreo's recommendation of buffs... i find using buff as a headband very useful! But for my last few caminos I have also brought a very small bottle of almond oil (from l'occitane) which can be used as a face or body moisturiser, hair oil, cleanser etc etc. I happen to love that brand but I am sure that other high quality oil could be used instead - the good thing about the oil is that you only need a TINY bit to calm hair..... i usually decant a portion of the purchased bottle into a little travel size. Hope this is of help 🆒
Or you can buy almond oil from most wholefood shops and many supermarkets at a fraction of the price. I just use whatever vegetable oil comes to hand when I'm traveling, olive oil is very good and there is plenty of that in Spain. I comb a tiny bit through my hair while it's wet after washing, which makes it easier to comb and means I don't need to carry conditioner.

Grin at the "bed hair" and put on a hat, or not.

My problem about wearing a buff in my hair is that I’m cold natured and usually have the buff around my neck.

My buffs, which I wear all the time except full-on summer, are all long enough that they cover head and neck. Then I also wear a "bucket-type" hat, and/or scarf around my neck as needed. I, too, tend to be "cold-natured".

Just wear a hat.

I’ve just checked your photo - you’ll look amazing with crazy hair. Mine is springy and wild too and I am only a few years younger. However I walked with a young Catalonian woman, whose hair was entirely wild.You have to look a bit ‘different’ so that fellow pilgrims will remember you :)

I had my long hair cut very short. No hair brush, comb or spray/gel. I did not look at myself in the mornings lol. After a very short while, I no longer cared what my hair looked like.

One of the things I loved about the Camino was NOT having to care about what my mad hair looked like, as not a single Pilgrim I met cared what my hair looked like either! Sometimes it's nice to embrace the real me sans 'product'. Off to do the Norte on 12/04 so if you're out on the trails and spot the 'dragged through the hedge backwards' look on a woman, it'll probably be me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like what?
These are a few examples on different uses for the buff. To be honest, I had no idea of how versatile this little piece of cloth could prove to be:)

Ultreïa!

Caring how you look isn't vanity, it's a compliment to the Spanish people who always look well dressed. I also have short hair but I don't wash it until it needs it which is usually every 3-4 days. After I wash my hair I spray it with a little hair styling product in a sample size and if no hair dryer available just let it air dry. Then in the morning I spray it with a little water and it's looking good. I also carry a cute fedora hat for the sun and a bandana cut in half diagonally that looks cute as a head band on unruly hair. Another thought is to get your hair cut very short before you leave--thats what I do. Very fashionable and easy. I am 73 and have been called the most fashionable woman on the Camino yet my backpack is still only 10 pounds.View attachment 52571
You’re as cute as can be too! I’d love to see your packing list!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My hair is naturally very afro and I have to use straighteners every time I wash it. And yes, I took travel straighteners with me on the Camino and yes, had to post them ahead when weight became a problem. From that point on (about day two!) I wore a buff. What I did do a few times, however, was visit a hairdresser when I came to a city. Having my hair shampooed, blow dried and straightened was bliss, bliss, bliss! None of the hairdressers spoke any English, and I don't speak much Spanish, but it's amazing what can be done with sign language.

Hat

I’m 65 with long straight fine hair. I brought some Bobby pins and before bed put about 5 braids all over, curled them tightly and pinned them. I had waves all the next day, usually up in a buff. Better than lank and stringy...I agree, though, with a short stylish cut right before leaving you should be able to wet it in the morning and fix the parts sticking up ! Buen Camino!

Sometimes I wash my hair at night
Good , about time old mate
Generally I have a shower
Thank you , we are grateful
I think if I had short hair I would go to a man's barber and have them cut it very short before going.
Number Three or better still Two and a half all over.
I actually look pretty okay
Thats the girl
What I did do a few times, however, was visit a hairdresser when I came to a city. Having my hair shampooed, blow dried and straightened was bliss, bliss, bliss! None of the hairdressers spoke any English, and I don't speak much Spanish, but it's amazing what can be done with sign
The correct thing to do girls , give yourself a treat @ half the cost of back home.

Be nice with replies

I have curly/wavy hair as well. I learned a long time ago that it behaves a lot better when it's longer rather than short. I washed my hair every day while on the Camino and used my usual product to tame the curls. It was well dried before I went to bed. It certainly didn't look perfect when I woke up, but it doesn't get that smashed, stick-out-wherever-it-feels-like look that I used to get when it was considerably shorter.

Last edited:
These are a few examples on different uses for the buff. To be honest, I had no idea of how versatile this little piece of cloth could prove to be:)

Ultreïa!
Wow! I loved my buff before but this is great! Thank you!

Thanks for all the great ideas! I think I’ll let it just go crazy with a tiny scarf and/or my buff if I don’t need it around my neck. I think I’m going to keep my hair a little longer instead of shorter and too manly. I am six feet tall wearing pilgrim clothes but I would still like to look like a female so if you see me, say hi! I’ll be starting from SJPdP on Mar 30 this time trying the Valcarlos route. Buen Camino, y’all!

Sometimes I wash my hair at night, and then wet it in the morning (quicker and easier than a full shampoo). My hair dries very quickly. A more serious 😂🤣 problem is what wearing a hat does to my careful coiffure.
It is time to embrace the eccentric!
We saw two young pilgrims last year that were carrying a hair dryer and hair straightening tongs!

Good , about time old mate

Thank you , we are grateful

Number Three or better still Two and a half all over.

Thats the girl

The correct thing to do girls , give yourself a treat @ half the cost of back home.

Be nice with replies
I did exactly what you did every single time I landed in a bigger community! What a treat it is to feel pampered after
My hair is naturally very afro and I have to use straighteners every time I wash it. And yes, I took travel straighteners with me on the Camino and yes, had to post them ahead when weight became a problem. From that point on (about day two!) I wore a buff. What I did do a few times, however, was visit a hairdresser when I came to a city. Having my hair shampooed, blow dried and straightened was bliss, bliss, bliss! None of the hairdressers spoke any English, and I don't speak much Spanish, but it's amazing what can be done with sign language.

Hi Kiwi, I did exactly what you did every single time I landed in a bigger community! My upcoming Camino Portugués won't be any different; I intend to indulge myself every chance I have! What a treat it is to feel pampered after a hard days' work;-)
Ultreïa!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I carried a hairdryer -- a tiny, lightweight, ionic dryer -- on two Caminos. This was not about vanity; my hair is so thick, and so unruly, that it doesn't dry naturally, even with vigorous towel drying. After 24 hours, this mop of mine will start to smell vaguely moldy, and with that, my airways get irritated, and I'm off down a dark path of cystic fibrosis related breathing issues that would certainly threaten the completion of a Camino. There was some good-natured teasing about the hairdryer along the Way -- right up until Melide, where I hit several days of torrential rain, and those very pilgrims who poked fun at me were lined up at my bunk to dry their shoes, clothes, and packs.

Check out this cool video on the different ways to wear a buff;

LOVED mine!!

Okay, so I had seen the picture of the balaclava on the package, but couldn't quite master it.... the video helped!

Don't care too much. And I let my beard grow to reduce time in the bathroom in the morning. But I have considered shaving legs & arms in order to reduce overall weight carried,though...;)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back