• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hairdryer on the walk?

hi there, new to the Forum, we are starting the walk in late March 2018, very excited about it! Have been looking around the forum, and only saw some old topics about hair dryers, so wondering what the thoughts are today. Not sure whether to take a travel one or not - not to style my hair, but to avoid having wet hair for too long? Appreciate any thoughts / guidance?

Monique
In 2016 I Walked via de La plata and Felt Very wise to take the hairdryer with me because it has been raining constantly for 12 days.

But I Haven't taken it with me since Then because I left it behind during the last Part of via de La plata. It was hot like hell

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m in Day 7 of El Norte and my 195gm tiny Bosch dryer is very popular not to mention useful to dry damp clothes as albergues are few at this time of year and not heated well. It’s not about looking good it’s about dry clothes and not catching a cold !
Reading you saying that now considering I have a very small travel dryer I purchased in Sweden a couple years ago it might be worth it for dry socks beginning of april. at least i know it wont need an adaptor

No. No and more no.
Not needed.
You lag it, you drag it.

If you must have such, just look in some of the rubbish cans or "dont want piles" in the A'burg along your Camino......you will surely find a hair dryer. Should tell you something when you see them being dumped.

Reminds me of the guy I saw on the Camino who had a huge knife on his side. Blade had to be over 8 or 10 inches in length. Looked like something you would use on a jungle march. Why carry such?
Days later found it in one of the rubbish cans. Wonder why?????

All the time heard people whining about weight. Then see them pull out a book or two. Or a lap top. Go figure. Bag it...drag it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Reading you saying that now considering I have a very small travel dryer I purchased in Sweden a couple years ago it might be worth it for dry socks beginning of april. at least i know it wont need an adaptor

Only need two sets of clothes!
Wash your one set of clothes the night before. Hang up. Should be dry in the morning. Including your socks. If not, hang (pin) on pack.

Using hair dryer is not worth the extra weight and room taken up in your pack to dry socks.

Many A'bergs have washers and dryers now.

Cut your hair short. Wash clothes e a r l y. Hang up early. Or use washer and dryer in the A'berg.

Don't even want to hear some clown drying socks with a hair dryer before everyone gets up! Bad enough with the disrespectful ones who must pack up at 4 am!

Learn to live without. May teach you something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me for saying that is a bit judgemental but ok. Thanks for the input it is appreciated I assure you. To each his own . After 21 years in military lugging gear around I have learned if I bring it I will lug it.

Right on , the rule is .. do what you feel good about and if you do.. take a mini
probably not needed really in summer ,certainly useful in cold weather

vanity is a good thing if it make you feel more secure ,
anyway , reaching Santiago cathedral that sin get a wash out so really it's a free pass

there are time when walking around the larger towns the girls want to look good , make them feel better
the guys are usually their scruffy lot , as is their wont

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm walking in March and I don't want to hang out in a cold albergue with wet hair. I will be carrying a 4 gm shower cap (the kind that you sometimes find in hotels - free). If the albergue is cold, I'll shower but try to keep my hair mostly dry under that cap. If I think my clothes won't dry overnight, I'll wait to wash them in more favorable conditions. I bring 3 skivies and 3 pr of socks so I don't have to launder each night. Good luck!

hi there, new to the Forum, we are starting the walk in late March 2018, very excited about it! Have been looking around the forum, and only saw some old topics about hair dryers, so wondering what the thoughts are today. Not sure whether to take a travel one or not - not to style my hair, but to avoid having wet hair for too long? Appreciate any thoughts / guidance?

Monique
If you're not worried about the weight of your backpack then sure, bring it. Why not? Just make sure it will work in Europe. Also, some albergues have hairdryers such as Jesus y Maria in Pamplona.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm walking in March and I don't want to hang out in a cold albergue with wet hair. I will be carrying a 4 gm shower cap (the kind that you sometimes find in hotels - free). If the albergue is cold, I'll shower but try to keep my hair mostly dry under that cap. If I think my clothes won't dry overnight, I'll wait to wash them in more favorable conditions. I bring 3 skivies and 3 pr of socks so I don't have to launder each night. Good luck!

Same for me, I took a shower cap in the hotel we went to in january with me this time, think that will be good! I wear merinoull in most of my clothes so hopefully they don´t need to be washed so often :) Buen Camino!

No. No and more no.
Not needed.
You lag it, you drag it.

If you must have such, just look in some of the rubbish cans or "dont want piles" in the A'burg along your Camino......you will surely find a hair dryer. Should tell you something when you see them being dumped.

Reminds me of the guy I saw on the Camino who had a huge knife on his side. Blade had to be over 8 or 10 inches in length. Looked like something you would use on a jungle march. Why carry such?
Days later found it in one of the rubbish cans. Wonder why?????

All the time heard people whining about weight. Then see them pull out a book or two. Or a lap top. Go figure. Bag it...drag it.

It’s each ones Camino and I’m happy to help others dry their wet socks....right now it’s wet mud ankle deep on El Norte.

Forgive me for saying that is a bit judgemental but ok. Thanks for the input it is appreciated I assure you. To each his own . After 21 years in military lugging gear around I have learned if I bring it I will lug it.

Yes I agree, and btw I’m shocked at the stuff the young ones are carrying right now on El Norte. I have the lightest pack at 5.5 total WITH BLOWDRYER ....others have from 8-13 kg OMG because we climb 3/4 of the day first 6 days. I rest my case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Only need two sets of clothes!
Wash your one set of clothes the night before. Hang up. Should be dry in the morning. Including your socks. If not, hang (pin) on pack.

Using hair dryer is not worth the extra weight and room taken up in your pack to dry socks.

Many A'bergs have washers and dryers now.

Cut your hair short. Wash clothes e a r l y. Hang up early. Or use washer and dryer in the A'berg.

Don't even want to hear some clown drying socks with a hair dryer before everyone gets up! Bad enough with the disrespectful ones who must pack up at 4 am!

Learn to live without. May teach you something.
Wow chill out Lol

€60,-
I’m in Day 7 of El Norte and my 195gm tiny Bosch dryer is very popular not to mention useful to dry damp clothes as albergues are few at this time of year and not heated well. It’s not about looking good it’s about dry clothes and not catching a cold !

Oh, lighter than ours. Where did you buy it?

What Rebekah said.
Consider the cost of the electricity, especially if you're staying in donativo or low-priced albergues

Just wash your hair once a week and tie it up the rest of the time.
Or cut it short and don't worry about it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What Rebekah said.
Consider the cost of the electricity, especially if you're staying in donativo or low-priced albergues
Yup, consider that 15 mins on your hairdryer will cost the albergue about the same as their lighting bill for the whole evening!

Pat is threatening to cut her hair short......
Might be easier in the long run.....
Pat would look very perky with short hair Robo! (Everyone - I know Robo and Pat from our Pilgrims in Sydney meetings so I'm not being presumptuous by saying Pat would look great with short hair!).
Cheers to you both - Jenny

Yup, consider that 15 mins on your hairdryer will cost the albergue about the same as their lighting bill for the whole evening!

Who takes 15 min to dry their hair? This topic is “hotter” LOL than then the one about walking with a dog. Yesterday I walked in cold almost monsoon like rain and wind, no Albergue’s open for 30 km, what we found was damp cold and wet with less than hot water but they charged 13€ for a bunk bed (nothing else). The other pilgrims plugged in phones, cameras, tablets all night. No one is criticizing them. PS I always leave a minimum 10€ At donativos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.