• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Half a Loaf ... but which half?

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2023
After two years' delay and an almost complete change in the faces involved, it now appears I will have a group of five walkers leaving from Le Puy on 6 Sep. However, we are not all walking for the same duration, due to time constraints in our personal lives. Two are walking for a week, two more are walking for about 8 days, and I am walking for three weeks. We range in age from 56 to 70, and are active walkers here in the Pacific Northwest.

My original thought had been to leave from Le Puy and get as far as Figeac. I'm now wondering if perhaps we should all start at Conques, since otherwise my friends will not get that far.

Could I get some input from other posters about the advantages/drawbacks of these two starting points? How much unique experience do we miss? What's the tradeoff against the gain?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Definitely start from Le Puy en Velay if possible. (My opinion anyhow!) There are a lot of quite steep ups and downs in the first few days, but the scenery is quite beautiful. I loved the section of the walk between Le Puy and Conques. Le Puy itself is a very interesting town- a place of Marian pilgrimage that was well established by the twelfth century. There is a real gem of a chapel on one of the volcanic needles that pokes up from the town which rests in the old crater.
Margaret
PS I met some French people who walked as a group from Le Puy. They got a group taxi back to their car in Le Puy.

I absolutely second Margaret's advice, the bit between Le Puy and Conques is fantastic and the couple of days after Conques are not so great, lots of concrete, road walking. I also love the bit around Limogne en Quercy and the day after Figeac, although Figeac itself did nothing for me. Gitti

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another vote for Le Puy. The walk from Le Puy to Conques is absolutely stunning!
I do not have good memories of the walk out of Conques...even after THE HILL out of Conques!
Le Puy is a great place to visit, I would recommend spending at least half a day there before setting off, if you have time, just to explore the place. I would also recommend you go to the pilgrim mass in the early morning before leaving, even if you are not religious it's just such a beautiful ceremony and a nice way to start your walk.
Bon Camino!

Back