• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

half board?

rickyt

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Sept/Oct 2023 Camino Frances
I realize this is probably a dumb question but I am new to all of this so forgive me. I have noticed prices for some albergues make mention of half board. What exactly does that mean? Thanks in advance for what is probably a very simple answer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
“Half Board” means one meal, either dinner or breakfast. You’ll need to verify with each place as to which they are offering at that price, but be forewarned that a Spanish “breakfast” is often just coffee, toast/pastry, and jam.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
“Half Board” means one meal, either dinner or breakfast. You’ll need to verify with each place as to which they are offering at that price, but be forewarned that a Spanish “breakfast” is often just coffee, toast/pastry, and jam.
In Europe it's usually two meals - one of which is breakfast.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you. I knew someone smarter than me would be able to answer this easily. I appreciate it!
The thought occurs: if you do go half board you'll probably go breakfast and dinner as you'll most likely be walking at lunchtime. If you decide to skip the evening meal - perhaps to eat in a restaurant with friends - then do tell them in the hotel. You won't get a discount but they won't have to waste making a meal they expected you to be there for.

To this standard European half board, demi pension, Halbpension, and media pension means one thing: that one of the two daily main meals is included in the price. Sometimes there is a choice between "midday meal" and "evening meal" but more often than not it is the evening meal that is included in the price.

Breakfast (what some foreigners like to call a Continental breakfast) is included in a media pension price anyway but it does not get a special mention. It's either breakfast included, or half board (1 main meal) or full board (2 main meals). There is a reason why the prices are called half board and full board and not two-thirds board and full board. 😂

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To this standard European half board, demi pension, Halbpension, and media pension means one thing: that one of the two daily main meals is included in the price. Sometimes there is a choice between "midday meal" and "evening meal" but more often than not it is the evening meal that is included in the price.

Breakfast (what some foreigners like to call a Continental breakfast) is included in a media pension price anyway but it does not get a special mention. It's either breakfast included, or half board (1 main meal) or full board (2 main meals). There is a reason why the prices are called half board and full board and not two-thirds board and full board. 😂
Not heard the phrase ‘half board’ for a long time! Alway thought it was a quaint British thing at B and B’s at our seaside resorts!

It means both dinner AND breakfast

I only encountered the term "half board" when I walked the Le Puy route, used to describe staying in the gites, which were often farm properties or large homes. There was only an option for one price which included dinner and a simple breakfast. The dinners were outstanding, but their morning coffee does not compare to Spain's.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have noticed prices for some albergues make mention of half board.
I have never seen this offered for an albergue in Spain. So, I assume you are talking about gites in France or maybe casas rurales in Spain.

I am new to all of this
No problem! You might want to read this thread for an explanation of the types of accommodation available in Spain.

I have never seen this offered for an albergue in Spain. So, I assume you are talking about gites in France or maybe casas rurales in Spain.
On the Camino Francés, I stayed in private albergues, casas rurales and small hotels and I don't recall having seen half board offers. They may offer it for guests, I just don't recall it. As to Spain in general, I would usually associate half board with a beach holiday; it is common to see this in holiday brochures for Spain.

As to France, small hotels and gîtes may indeed offer demi-pension. One such example: Refuge Orisson at the start of the Camino Francés:

Demi pension Orisson.jpg

Last edited:

No problem! You might want to read this thread for an explanation of the types of accommodation available in Spain.
Although albergues in Spain may not offer half board, when Caminoways booked our accommodations from Sarria to Santiago in July 21, they specifically asked us if we wanted to book " half board". It was usually dinner either in the hostal/ hotel or nearby, and a European breakfast the next morning before we started walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You are correct. I was looking at gites in SJPDP. I appreciate the info everyone has provided me. I always learn something when I come to the forum.

We had also booked with CaminoWays and in the small hotels where we stayed they booked us half board, or dinner (often a Pilgrim Menu rather than full menu choices), with breakfast included for everyone.

I beleave it is bed, breakfast and dinner

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I realize this is probably a dumb question but I am new to all of this so forgive me. I have noticed prices for some albergues make mention of half board. What exactly does that mean? Thanks in advance for what is probably a very simple answer.
There are half board definitions throughout this thread. I would add that in my 8 Caminos in Spain, I have never seen an albergue, hotel or hostal offer half board, and have never seen an albergue offer lunch. Nearly all of them are closed from 0800 to 1400 although some will let you stay a bit later and check in a bit earlier.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.