• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hand Luggage (Backpacks)

Jimliz83

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino start 23.4.2020
Hi we are doing our first Camino Francis in April/May 2020, we fly from Glasgow to Amsterdam to Bordeaux then onto SJDLP, our change over is 45min in Amsterdam we are worried that this is not enough time for our baggage in the hold to be transferred onto our connecting flight. We are flying with KLM iv been in touch and they haven't been much help saying that our baggage should make it and to reach out to their staff at Glasgow, so we are now thinking of trying to get our backpacks on as our hand luggage and buy what we have to leave at home once in Bordeaux, So id like to know if anyone has done a similar journey with KLM or any other airline in the UK and been able to get their backpacks on, as weight wise they will be lighter than most others hand luggage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi we are doing our first Camino Francis in April/May 2020, we fly from Glasgow to Amsterdam to Bordeaux then onto SJDLP, our change over is 45min in Amsterdam we are worried that this is not enough time for our baggage in the hold to be transferred onto our connecting flight. We are flying with KLM iv been in touch and they haven't been much help saying that our baggage should make it and to reach out to their staff at Glasgow, so we are now thinking of trying to get our backpacks on as our hand luggage and buy what we have to leave at home once in Bordeaux, So id like to know if anyone has done a similar journey with KLM or any other airline in the UK and been able to get their backpacks on, as weight wise they will be lighter than most others hand luggage.

Are all the flights with KLM and did you book directly with KLM?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
..., as weight wise they will be lighter than most others hand luggage.

Weight is less of an issue with hand luggage, but the dimensions are. Have a look what the website of the airline says and measure carefully. Also note which items are not allowed/restricted in hand luggage.
Welcome to the forum and Buen Camino, SY

I flew from the UK and had no problem taking my Osprey 30L on as cabin baggage. Check the hand luggage dimensions for your airline online.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So id like to know if anyone has done a similar journey with KLM or any other airline in the UK and been able to get their backpacks on
Yes, hundreds or thousands of us do this. Compare your pack with the dimensions allowed by KLM - otherwise your question cannot be answered! If necessary, remove a few items so the pack is not stuffed to the brim. If you have a few things that may not be allowed (knife, liquids, poles) put them in a cheap bag, box or parcel, and send that in the hold but carry your backpack and the hard-to-replace things on board with you in the cabin.

Weight is less of an issue with hand luggage, but the dimensions are. Have a look what the website of the airline says and measure carefully. Also note which items are not allowed/restricted in hand luggage.
Welcome to the forum and Buen Camino, SY
Hi iv check the dimensions and both packs they are about 10cm longer than the hand luggage size,i was just trying to find out if anyone had used KLM with their packs to see how strict they are thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I flew from the UK and had no problem taking my Osprey 30L on as cabin baggage. Check the hand luggage dimensions for your airline online.
yes done this both are about 10cm longer than what KLM state for hand luggage

Yes, hundreds or thousands of us do this. Compare your pack with the dimensions allowed by KLM - otherwise your question cannot be answered! If necessary, remove a few items so the pack is not stuffed to the brim. If you have a few things that may not be allowed (knife, liquids, poles) put them in a cheap bag, box or parcel, and send that in the hold but carry your backpack and the hard-to-replace things on board with you in the cabin.
As iv said both are 10cm longer than KLM allow i was just trying to find out if anyone has used KLM and how strict they are thanks.

On my most recent trip I took my pack into the cabin, packed up my poles and checked them. The poles were lost but easily replaced in Saint Jean. Glad I didn't lose the backpack.

When I lost my poles20200201_095643.jpg I got this from the airport. My poles got to California before I did and one was broken.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Their strictness may depend on the storage capacity on that particular plane, and how full the flight is that day. Have you tested whether your pack can be squeezed into a box of the correct dimensions. Angle and flexibiity can make quite a difference.

I see now your mention that the packs are 10 cm too long. I take it you have to use only these packs. I have not used KLM so my comments won't be of any help, but I'll leave them up anyway.

As mentioned by others above, I, too, am one who takes only carry-on. Years ago I heard a travel pundit say "There are two kinds of luggage: Carry-on and lost."
I have found:
  • Ryanair looks for ways to trap you into having to pay more at the last second. easyJet almost as bad. Whatever the airline, they all have maximum sizes for your carry-on baggage, so check their websites for the dimensions (and don't stick much if anything into the backpack's side pockets!). Some cheapo airlines have a cheap seat and then you are able to bump up to another category by paying more for the privilege of bringing more than a purse or camera on board; some airlines let you have 2 items (the carry-on of certain dimensions mentioned above), and a 'personal' item like a purse or brief case, without having to pay extra.
  • Tricks of the trade (that you may know already): In your rain jacket pockets (which you will be wearing on board) put socks and underwear and any other soft things you can manage; wear your heavy boots/hiking shoes; wear a few layers of clothing on the plane (but not every single thing so you don't pass out like that fellow we all heard about); think 'outside the bag' for ways of decreasing what you put into the pack.
  • No matter what you do, trekking poles will not be allowed as carry-on.
  • Be mindful that you may want to bring home a few items from the pilgrimage.
  • As the adage goes, lay out on your bed all the things you plan to bring on the pilgrimage, get rid of half of it, and then repeat, getting rid of the other half.
  • Remember you aren't going to the Gobi Desert; you will be able to get just about anything you need on the CF.
  • It's all a learning experience; next time you go, you will adjust things based on what you learnt.
  • Let the Camino provide.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How about buying backpacks that fit this common hand-baggage size - just need to be a bit tougher on not bringing too many "just-in-case" items

To be honest 10cm is big enough difference that they might pick it up, even if they are not as strict as Ryanair. From experience I would say even Ryanair tend to check more suitcases than bags for limits. I would hate to check my rucksack in - but I am quite minimal these days as the 32L pack includes a tent and still manages to the dimensions required for hand luggage- but its length it under that 55cm limit.
The question is do you have the budget to buy new rucksacks or do you take your chances? You might try and take them to the gate and see but you could get caught and have to pay a gate luggage few, or take the risk with checked baggage.

When I was traveling from my country to Spain for Camino I was only with handy luggage. So I flew from Sofia to Madrid. And back from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid and another flight to Sofia.I used Wizz air and Ryanair.
When I prepared myself for Camino I bought backpack that suits perfectly for Wizz air.

€46,-
For those of you that fly with Norwegian be aware that they have changed their luggage rules. If you buy a LOWFARE ticket you only can bring a small handbag 30x20x38 to put under your seat. If you want to bring a bigger 55x40x30 to put in the rack, you need to buy a LOWFARE+ ticket which also includes a checked in luggage.
I always take my Osprey exit 48 as handluggage, make it so small that it fits the limits and send the things I can manage without in a small bag. Since I start from a colder place I put on most of my clothes on at the flight.

Hi iv check the dimensions and both packs they are about 10cm longer than the hand luggage size,i was just trying to find out if anyone had used KLM with their packs to see how strict they are thanks

I may have missed it, but what brand and specific model of backpack do you have? And in what frame size (small, medium, large, etc). . NOT capacity or volume, just the frame size.

How about buying backpacks that fit this common hand-baggage size - just need to be a bit tougher on not bringing too many "just-in-case" items
The backpacks were bought as we have booked for them to go in the hold, it was only after buying the tickets and talking with KLM that we didn't feel confident of their answers to our bags making it with us. thanks for the reply.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For those of you that fly with Norwegian be aware that they have changed their luggage rules. If you buy a LOWFARE ticket you only can bring a small handbag 30x20x38 to put under your seat. If you want to bring a bigger 55x40x30 to put in the rack, you need to buy a LOWFARE+ ticket which also includes a checked in luggage.
I always take my Osprey exit 48 as handluggage, make it so small that it fits the limits and send the things I can manage without in a small bag. Since I start from a colder place I put on most of my clothes on at the flight.
Hi thank you i have the same backpack as yours, i bought it as that's what i thought i needed and as we payed the extra to put luggage in the hold we thought there wouldn't be a problem, as iv said it was only after a few email back and forward to KLM and their answer of Your bags should make it we thought about taking them on and buying poles etc over in France, we wouldn't mind paying more to get them on board. thanks for your reply.

I feel if you booked everything directly with KLM they will check your bags through and so it shouldn't be a problem. However, we have been given our sixth sense for a reason! So if you don't feel comfortable take them as hand luggage. Strap them as tight as possible and as said here before, put some less important and easy to replace items in the hold. Or just don't take them from home and buy them before you start. Decathlon is pretty affordable but off course i do not know your budget. To get set up for a first Camino (like a lot of other firsts) costs a bit already, so I really hope you have an awesome experience right from leaving the front door. (As it is you'll come home witha wish list for 'next time') And don't forget: the Camino provides. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I feel if you booked everything directly with KLM they will check your bags through and so it shouldn't be a problem. However, we have been given our sixth sense for a reason! So if you don't feel comfortable take them as hand luggage. Strap them as tight as possible and as said here before, put some less important and easy to replace items in the hold. Or just don't take them from home and buy them before you start. Decathlon is pretty affordable but off course i do not know your budget. To get set up for a first Camino (like a lot of other firsts) costs a bit already, so I really hope you have an awesome experience right from leaving the front door. (As it is you'll come home witha wish list for 'next time') And don't forget: the Camino provides. Buen Camino
Thank you yes we booked everything through KLM, we are going to leave poles etc and pick them up over there thank you

The 55 x 35 x 25 cm equates to 48litres. Just make sure that your backpack when loaded fits in the box at check in. Obviously you also have to have a pack that is comfortable to wear!

@Jimliz83 45 minutes is not a long transit time at 'any' airport. :oops:

Assuming you cannot change the flights to allow more time, maybe have some backup options........ I always like a plan B and C in these instances.

1. Prepare them for carry-on as suggested above, making the packs as small as possible. You might get away with it.
  2. IF you have to check them in, maybe have a small stuff sack (say 20 L) you can just pull out and carry on with you, that fits within the carry-on size limit. (this could carry most of your gear). That way if the packs don't arrive with you, you'll have most of your stuff anyway. (either wait for the packs to reach you, or replace packs)
I note the size restrictions and my own pack is a little bigger than that too, but has never been a problem. But 'at the end of the day' it's all down to the airline and airport staff you encounter on the day of travel.....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can you take poles on board the aircraft?
Rosemary

Can you take poles on board the aircraft?
Rosemary

I recently posed this question via e-mail to the security company serving Munich Airport. Their answer was: There is no general law prohibiting poles in the cabin for flight safety reasons, but it is at the discretion of their staff to let you or not let you on board with poles if they have sharp/pointed tips under the rubber tips. They therefore recommend to always check poles rather than carry them on.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back