• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Handcart?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ray Bertoia and his wife, who have DVD's of their camino available for those interested, did use a handcart, though they encountered several equipment problems on the way.

Mark

Call me old fashioned, but is a rucksack not a little easier? I can't think of any need for something so cumbersome when you don't really need to carry lots and lots of stuff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
the expression "going to hell in a handcart" springs to mind

there's a lovely line in the Tim Moore book on his Camino with donkey when he's looking disapprovingly at other pilgrims arranging for their luggage to be transported one day and his brother says "well at least they're carrying some of their luggage for some of the time"

You beat me to it, Spursfan. It sounds like hell to me - the biomechanics are all wrong, and a recipe for lower back problems if unused to that kind of work. OK if you're Molly Malone, and used to wheeling your wheelbarrow...

Anyway, I have had so much fun whittling my pack weight down to 6Kg, and still managing to have a few luxuries, and enough stuff to cover most eventualities (I hope - I've brought the suture kit, but no defibrillator). I wouldn't have had a fraction of the enjoyment without that.

I think a sedan chair is the way to go. Or elephant plus howdah? But I'm off in a week, and think I'll stick with Shank's pony.

Pip

People do it, a staff, one pole/two poles, backpack, handcart, burro, horse, bike, car, camel...wonder what it'd be like on an elephant? Best, xm 8)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I actually saw a man with one of those on a very rocky downhill section. He didn't look very happy.

I sure wouldn't want to be on an elephant coming down El Acebo to Molinaseca!

Mark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...on an elephant...El Acebo to Molinaseca!
There r many caminos to Rome, ditto to Compostela...Besides, if Hannibal did it over the Alps, hey... :lol:

We heard about a guy (this is supposed to be true) who took his very old dog with him recently. The dog could walk for about half the day then became too tired. The man had a wheelbarrow with him and would then put the dog in it and continue on to the destination.

I saw a pilgrim carry his tired German Shepherd on his shoulders for hours. Best, xm 8)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I saw one guy using a cart on the Camino back in 2005 (see picture below). He looked really worn out but determined. I don't know...it doesn't look energy efficient to me. But I guess it would depend on your particular situation. I wonder if it would be easier to pull or push a handcart.
n5210672_32929811_5209.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back