• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Handcart?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ray Bertoia and his wife, who have DVD's of their camino available for those interested, did use a handcart, though they encountered several equipment problems on the way.

Mark

Call me old fashioned, but is a rucksack not a little easier? I can't think of any need for something so cumbersome when you don't really need to carry lots and lots of stuff.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the expression "going to hell in a handcart" springs to mind

there's a lovely line in the Tim Moore book on his Camino with donkey when he's looking disapprovingly at other pilgrims arranging for their luggage to be transported one day and his brother says "well at least they're carrying some of their luggage for some of the time"

You beat me to it, Spursfan. It sounds like hell to me - the biomechanics are all wrong, and a recipe for lower back problems if unused to that kind of work. OK if you're Molly Malone, and used to wheeling your wheelbarrow...

Anyway, I have had so much fun whittling my pack weight down to 6Kg, and still managing to have a few luxuries, and enough stuff to cover most eventualities (I hope - I've brought the suture kit, but no defibrillator). I wouldn't have had a fraction of the enjoyment without that.

I think a sedan chair is the way to go. Or elephant plus howdah? But I'm off in a week, and think I'll stick with Shank's pony.

Pip

People do it, a staff, one pole/two poles, backpack, handcart, burro, horse, bike, car, camel...wonder what it'd be like on an elephant? Best, xm 8)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I actually saw a man with one of those on a very rocky downhill section. He didn't look very happy.

I sure wouldn't want to be on an elephant coming down El Acebo to Molinaseca!

Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...on an elephant...El Acebo to Molinaseca!
There r many caminos to Rome, ditto to Compostela...Besides, if Hannibal did it over the Alps, hey... :lol:

We heard about a guy (this is supposed to be true) who took his very old dog with him recently. The dog could walk for about half the day then became too tired. The man had a wheelbarrow with him and would then put the dog in it and continue on to the destination.

I saw a pilgrim carry his tired German Shepherd on his shoulders for hours. Best, xm 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I saw one guy using a cart on the Camino back in 2005 (see picture below). He looked really worn out but determined. I don't know...it doesn't look energy efficient to me. But I guess it would depend on your particular situation. I wonder if it would be easier to pull or push a handcart.
n5210672_32929811_5209.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back