• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Handicap Distance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey All

I just read on https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/ about folks who are disabled can receive a certificate but it doesnt say how far they need to walk or ride? does anyone know

thanks

Can you copy the text and paste it?

I have not seen that there are differing distance requirements for the disabled. The only thing I have read and am aware of, is a statement regarding differing forms of travel which might be used by the disabled in lieu of walking and bicycles or horses. This likely refers to required mobility devices like wheel chairs.

I am unaware of a special provision for disabled folks, per se. The same distance requirements entail, insofar as I know. However, and for example, if a pilgrim arrived in a wheelchair, pushed (or pulled) by another person, they BOTH accomplished the Camino.

For reference, I have seen pilgrims arrive on hand-powered bicycles, then transfer to a pushchair / wheelchair to handle the queue process and receive their Compostela for having ridden more than 200 km on a bicycle. NOTE: When we see these people get in the queue we usually always take them out of the queue and directly to the counter for immediate processing. It is better for all concerned that it be done this way. I have not had an argument yet, in five consecutive years.

This all stated, if you have something different to share, please do. The Pilgrim Office full-time staff and management do alter the policies and procedures from time to time. I only usually find out when I arrive for volunteer work.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am unaware of a special provision for disabled folks, per se. The same distance requirements entail, insofar as I know. However, and for example, if a pilgrim arrived in a wheelchair, pushed (or pulled) by another person, they BOTH accomplished the Camino.

For reference, I have seen pilgrims arrive on hand-powered bicycles, then transfer to a pushchair / wheelchair to handle the queue process and receive their Compostela for having ridden more than 200 km on a bicycle. NOTE: When we see these people get in the queue we usually always take them out of the queue and directly to the counter for immediate processing. It is better for all concerned that it be done this way. I have not had an argument yet, in five consecutive years.

This all stated, if you have something different to share, please do. The Pilgrim Office full-time staff and management do alter the policies and procedures from time to time. I only usually find out when I arrive for volunteer work.
thanks mate :) i really appreciate the time you are sharing with me :) my wife is on a disability pension and she thought she ask this via me. We have decided with my dr and physiotherapist or as you say in usa massage therapist i ride a normal mountain bike and she drive the motor home

do you know where we can park the motorhome anywhere near the trails or near auberges? we dont need electricity just a shower and toilet to use each night. And share any meals at night and pay for with other pilgrims in Auberges?

Thanks again :)

and can my wife just get stamps on her passport credentials as she knows she cant get a certificate? and where do we get stamps from please thanks

Can you copy the text and paste it?

I have not seen that there are differing distance requirements for the disabled. The only thing I have read and am aware of, is a statement regarding differing forms of travel which might be used by the disabled in lieu of walking and bicycles or horses. This likely refers to required mobility devices like wheel chairs.
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

The appearance of motor vehicles and, in this century, the popularisation of tourism, represented somewhat of a crisis for pilgrimage: it was feared that the effort and sacrifice in the expiation of sins embraced in the pilgrimage on foot would be exchanged by a pleasant and enjoyable activity for the holidays. Such was the case that authorities in other sanctuaries began to issue visiting certificates imitating the “Compostela”. The Chapter of the Metropolitan Church of Santiago continued to issue the certificate and in modern times the award of the “Compostela” is limited to those who come to the tomb of the Apostle for religious and/or spiritual reasons, and following the routes of the Way of St. James on foot, by bicycle or on horseback. They are required to have travelled at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback or the last 200 by bicycle, which is demonstrated by the “Credencial del Peregrino” duly stamped along the route travelled. Therefore other forms of travel to access the Compostela are excluded, except in the case of the disabled.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

The appearance of motor vehicles and, in this century, the popularisation of tourism, represented somewhat of a crisis for pilgrimage: it was feared that the effort and sacrifice in the expiation of sins embraced in the pilgrimage on foot would be exchanged by a pleasant and enjoyable activity for the holidays. Such was the case that authorities in other sanctuaries began to issue visiting certificates imitating the “Compostela”. The Chapter of the Metropolitan Church of Santiago continued to issue the certificate and in modern times the award of the “Compostela” is limited to those who come to the tomb of the Apostle for religious and/or spiritual reasons, and following the routes of the Way of St. James on foot, by bicycle or on horseback. They are required to have travelled at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback or the last 200 by bicycle, which is demonstrated by the “Credencial del Peregrino” duly stamped along the route travelled. Therefore other forms of travel to access the Compostela are excluded, except in the case of the disabled.
but it not say what the disabled can do to gain their certificate

but it not say what the disabled can do to gain their certificate

Sure it does. They have to travel the same distance as other pilgrims. As far as what other forms of travel the disabled are allowed to use, that is probably decided on an individual case basis. I imagine a part of the criteria in that decision probably would be the form and severity of the disability. For instance, the use of wheel chairs or perhaps a horse-drawn cart for someone with a severe case of cerebral palsy or MS.

Perhaps you could contact the Pilgrim Office, since they are the ones who make these decisions. You have their website. Call or email them, explain your unique situation for you and your wife, and then they can define the parameters of acceptable transport especially for your case.

thanks mate :) i really appreciate the time you are sharing with me :) my wife is on a disability pension and she thought she ask this via me. We have decided with my dr and physiotherapist or as you say in usa massage therapist i ride a normal mountain bike and she drive the motor home

do you know where we can park the motorhome anywhere near the trails or near auberges? we dont need electricity just a shower and toilet to use each night. And share any meals at night and pay for with other pilgrims in Auberges?

Thanks again :)

Many alburgues do not serve meals. But nearby restaurants or bars will offer a 'pilgrim menu', and you will find a lot of Camino walkers eat at these places.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many alburgues do not serve meals. But nearby restaurants or bars will offer a 'pilgrim menu', and you will find a lot of Camino walkers eat at these places.
thanks mate Davebugg :) do they have much in way of vegetarian options? and what consists of a pilgrim meal please ? do you have to be a pilgrim to have a pilgrim meal?

As far as I am informed, there is another certificate, different from the "Compostela", which only states that you have visited the Cathedral for religious motives. This one is especially for disabled People who can not walk, nor go by bicycle.

To obtain a Compostela you have either to walk the last 100 km or to bike the last 200 km.

May-be joining you on the last 100 km and doing these in very small stages is an option for your wife?

For me it is difficult to imagine that someone can drive a motorhome for 800-900 km but should not be able to use a bike (perhaps with three wheels) or a tandem bicycle or something like that.

Private albergues will not care if your wife arrives by motorhome. But public albergues due to their statutes will neither accept pilgrims travelling by cars nor those who have a "support car".

Pilgrim meals do not differ very much from what is usually offered as "menú del día". Spanish laws oblige restaurants to offer these for lunchtime (which in Spain is usually from 13.00 to 16.30 h) at a price of +/- 10 €. Usually it is a three-course meal accompanied by bread and a drink. As starters you may usually be able to select between a soup, a salad, Tortilla, pasta or empanada. The second course usually is meat or fish, only sometimes they offer a vegetarian dish. The desert "postre" is fruit, yoghurt or ice-cream. Sometimes the drinks are not included, sometimes it is 1/2 bottle of wine per person and water.

It is only along the Camino that they call these meals "Pilgrim menu", because they adress to the pilgrims as their main clients. Usually a "menĂş del dĂ­a" which is offered to the public in general and also chosen by local people offers better value. If a restaurant offers both and the pilgrim menu is cheaper, then you can expect it to be more basic. Sometimes it is only one main course and a desert and water for drink.

BC
Alexandra

Both Dave and Via2010 gave very good answers to the OPs questions. My contributions are:

1. I have no idea where one can park an RV. Some towns do have camping grounds where you can stay. Suggest you search for an RV guide to northern Spain, they DO exist. You may have to go several km away from the Camino route proper to find such a parking place. Along most Camino routes, secondary or tertiary roads typically weave along the Camino. A GPS or smartphone with Google Maps is useful. Reception is usually great.

2. Your wife can get stamps in a credencial the same way you do. You only need one per day east of Sarria (on the Frances) or beyond the 100 km threshold. This is 200 km if bicycling. So, just call it 200 km for the both of you. Once you arrive 100 km out from Santiago, or at Sarria on the Frances, you must get at least two stamps daily in your credential. Technically, this applies to bicyclists too. The purpose is to ensure that you actually followed the route and made continuous chronological progress. Of course, this will be easier for you as you will cover the distances easily.

3. Vegetarian options and choices exist. They are not usually flagged in a cafe menu as vegetarian options, so you must learn how to read a menu. Learn to use Google or Bing translate.

Search in the Forum using the search function in the upper right hand corner.

But, be aware that, in Spain, "carne" (meat) usually means red meat. So if you ask for something 'sin carne' (without meat), do not be surprised if you receive a dish containing chicken (pollo), fish (pescado), shellfish (mariscos), or ham (jamas). These are NOT considered meat strictly speaking.

Better to explain that 'soy vegetariana (female veg), y no comido todas carne...' ( I am a vegetarian and I do not eat any / all meat...)

4. I know of pilgrims who choose to sleep rough, but who pay to stay at an albergue just for the showers and meals (where offered). I understand they prefer to drink or smoke dope (whatever) or just prefer their own company. So, yes, you should be able to pay the going price for a bed in an albergue but only use the showers and meals facilities.

5. True, there is an alternative (aka tourista) "Certificate of Welcome" (Certificado de Bienvenido) issued to tourists, people who say they are doing the Camino for sporting purposes, and other people not otherwise eligible for a Compostela. It is a similar-looking document to the Compostela that welcomes the traveler to the Cathedral and thanks them for making the journey to venerate the Apostle Saint's relics.

I recommend presenting both credencials with stamps, ask for your Compostela, and then tell the person behind the counter that your disabled wife drove the same Camino to accompany you, and visited the Cathedral. Ask for a Certificate of Welcome for her. That should avoid any unpleasantness or frustration.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As far as I am informed, there is another certificate, different from the "Compostela", which only states that you have visited the Cathedral for religious motives. This one is especially for disabled People who can not walk, nor go by bicycle.

To obtain a Compostela you have either to walk the last 100 km or to bike the last 200 km.

May-be joining you on the last 100 km and doing these in very small stages is an option for your wife?

For me it is difficult to imagine that someone can drive a motorhome for 800-900 km but should not be able to use a bike (perhaps with three wheels) or a tandem bicycle or something like that.

Private albergues will not care if your wife arrives by motorhome. But public albergues due to their statutes will neither accept pilgrims travelling by cars nor those who have a "support car".

Pilgrim meals do not differ very much from what is usually offered as "menú del día". Spanish laws oblige restaurants to offer these for lunchtime (which in Spain is usually from 13.00 to 16.30 h) at a price of +/- 10 €. Usually it is a three-course meal accompanied by bread and a drink. As starters you may usually be able to select between a soup, a salad, Tortilla, pasta or empanada. The second course usually is meat or fish, only sometimes they offer a vegetarian dish. The desert "postre" is fruit, yoghurt or ice-cream. Sometimes the drinks are not included, sometimes it is 1/2 bottle of wine per person and water.

It is only along the Camino that they call these meals "Pilgrim menu", because they adress to the pilgrims as their main clients. Usually a "menĂş del dĂ­a" which is offered to the public in general and also chosen by local people offers better value. If a restaurant offers both and the pilgrim menu is cheaper, then you can expect it to be more basic. Sometimes it is only one main course and a desert and water for drink.

BC
Alexandra
thanks so much Alexandra :) your comment is much appreciated and helpful :) i will look for private albergues :) my wife cant ride a bike or walk very far but since i am taking 5 weeks to do the caminos it will be much better on her health to drive a vehicle. She may join me for an hour and i walk with the bike but even then might even be that long on some days.

Both Dave and Via2010 gave very good answers to the OPs questions. My contributions are:

1. I have no idea where one can park an RV. Some towns do have camping grounds where you can stay. Suggest you search for an RV guide to northern Spain, they DO exist. You may have to go several km away from the Camino route proper to find such a parking place. Along most Camino routes, secondary or tertiary roads typically weave along the Camino. A GPS or smartphone with Google Maps is useful. Reception is usually great.

2. Your wife can get stamps in a credencial the same way you do. You only need one per day east of Sarria (on the Frances) or beyond the 100 km threshold. This is 200 km if bicycling. So, just call it 200 km for the both of you. Once you arrive 100 km out from Santiago, or at Sarria on the Frances, you must get at least two stamps daily in your credential. Technically, this applies to bicyclists too. The purpose is to ensure that you actually followed the route and made continuous chronological progress. Of course, this will be easier for you as you will cover the distances easily.

3. Vegetarian options and choices exist. They are not usually flagged in a cafe menu as vegetarian options, so you must learn how to read a menu. Learn to use Google or Bing translate.

Search in the Forum using the search function in the upper right hand corner.

But, be aware that, in Spain, "carne" (meat) usually means red meat. So if you ask for something 'sin carne' (without meat), do not be surprised if you receive a dish containing chicken (pollo), fish (pescado), shellfish (mariscos), or ham (jamas). These are NOT considered meat strictly speaking.

Better to explain that 'soy vegetariana (female veg), y no comido todas carne...' ( I am a vegetarian and I do not eat any / all meat...)

4. I know of pilgrims who choose to sleep rough, but who pay to stay at an albergue just for the showers and meals (where offered). I understand they prefer to drink or smoke dope (whatever) or just prefer their own company. So, yes, you should be able to pay the going price for a bed in an albergue but only use the showers and meals facilities.

5. True, there is an alternative (aka tourista) "Certificate of Welcome" (Certificado de Bienvenido) issued to tourists, people who say they are doing the Camino for sporting purposes, and other people not otherwise eligible for a Compostela. It is a similar-looking document to the Compostela that welcomes the traveler to the Cathedral and thanks them for making the journey to venerate the Apostle Saint's relics.

I recommend presenting both credencials with stamps, ask for your Compostela, and then tell the person behind the counter that your disabled wife drove the same Camino to accompany you, and visited the Cathedral. Ask for a Certificate of Welcome for her. That should avoid any unpleasantness or frustration.

I hope this helps.
thanks so much again t2andreo much helpful :) and muchas gracias mi amiga :) i am practicing my limited spanish and planning to learn more with what you mentioned is what i need to remember and use an app for translation :) thanks i will ask for the certificado de bienvenido for Karen :) she and i are both quietly looking forward to doing this but it looks like we be getting more likely a car not a campervan as they are terribly expensive and not in automatic transmissions. She cant drive a manual stick shift

Renting a car and staying in lower coast hostals and casa rurals or some private albergues that take folks not walking, is IMHO a better idea. Traveling with a caravan / RV is likely an impediment.

The male of friend is amigo. The female is amiga. Words that end in "a" are almost always feminine. So you use La (singular) and Las (plural) with them. Examples:

The woman (la mujer)
The women (las mujeres)
The man (el hombre)
The men (los hombres)

Easy peasy. I always advise folks to get the Berlitz tourist guide book, with CD, to learn the basics of many languages.

If you can figure out how, or have a teenager handy, "rip" the CD to your computer using ITunes, then copy the .nmp3 files like a music album to your smartphone, so you can practice and revisit it as often as needed.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.