• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Handknit vs. smartwool socks (or the like)

orlaithballach

what are the benefits of smartwool socks? i usually wear handknit socks which i can build to fit my feet very carefully. i do have some smart wool and agree that they are great socks, but i think of handknit as better.

any knitters out there who have walked in hand knit?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not a knitter, but I'll try to contribute a response. I think the issue with socks -- whatever the choice -- is what works to prevent blisters for your own feet. Perhaps it is a matter of skill or aesthetics, but the hand-knit socks I have seen have had quite a few irregularities of texture. Your socks may be an entirely different matter! If you have them, and like them, and they work for your feet, then by all means use them.

You'll often see our responses here in the forums, recommending a training period before one's Camino journey. Part of the training is to try out one's equipment set, to see what works and what doesn't. Socks are a major part of that!

I wouldn't dare wear hand knit for fear of blisters. I wear specially made padded wollen hiking socks and have walked 2 blister free caminos....

actually, after my first camino I binned all my old socks and now only wear hiking socks or padded wool :p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wouls agree with Pieces. I met a Norwegian lady last year who wore hand knit wool socks from O'Cebriero to Santiago and her feet were in bits after Saria. Go with good hiking socks like Bridgedale or the like.

I am a huge fan of Drymax trail socks. I saw a few people wearing them at trail races two years ago, and have been wearing them ever since. I wore them on the Camino, and put them through a few 50+ mile races last year. Each pair has lasted around 1000 miles, and I have yet to get a blister or hotspot while wearing them.

http://www.drymaxsocks.com/trailrunning.php

I, too, am a sock-knitter. I wore socks made with 4ply wool knit on 2mm needles so the weave was nice and tight.
As I ended up with blisters I thought it may have been due to the socks (although nine others in our party wore handknits too and none of them got blisters) and on my return home I purchased fancy "shop socks" and tried all sorts of different scenarios to stop the blisters (walking with nylon stockings underneath different sorts of woolen socks, Vaseline, taping feet, mixtures of all of the above all at the same time). It turned out my shoes were simply too tight - long enough, wide enough, but the stretch fabric across the top of the foot had to do too much stretching. Changed my shoes and now I have no trouble. I even walk in toe shoes with handknit toe socks:

All that said, on my current walks I am experimenting with wearing injinji wicking liner socks and then the hand knit woolen ones on top. This seems to be very good. If your shoes/boots are big enough, I see no reason why well-made handknits couldn't work. I swear by them :wink:
They also last much better than shop socks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wish I had taken pictures of my bloody feet that I could send you to convince you that your hand made socks are beautiful but should be left at home. I made 3 pairs special for my Camino and I trained in them for months with no blisters. Once I started on the Camino I had blisters by Day 3. I walked in March when not much is open in the northern parts and it took a few more days to find decent socks - and my blisters just grew in that time. Buy socks meant for marathon runners and bring vaseline for your feet as well. This is what I will be doing on my next Camino in 2015.

Socks are important and mine are like my boots, Salomon, wouldn't dream of anything else - having said that I will restate. Socks are just like boots just like backpacks, just like trekking poles, if you haven't already worn them in trial walks, if you have not adjusted and re-adjusted for best and comfortable fit beforehand, why the Camino is certainly NOT the place to start experiments. Know all your equipment even you underwear before you set out. Pilgrims spend so much money for transportation there and back, pilgrims set aside so much time for the Camino, pilgrims prepare itineraries and costs well before arriving in Spain but can lose it all so quickly if they think a weekend outing or two will have them and their equipment ready for 850 kilometers. If your feet can do a continuous 100 kilometers in hand knit socks go for it, if these same socks cause sore feet, redness or blisters, leave them at home before you go.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.