Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Handling bed bugs

RuijgRock

Past OR future Camino
sept/oct 2017
Well over 6 months since being home, the bedbug bites still give me sleepless nights. It appeared they ARE capable of leaving eggs(?) under your skin. Regular doctors haven’t heard of it but thank God I found someone on the alternative path who is helping me getting rid of this problem and hopefully will be able to sleep itch-free soon.

So my request, if you find out you’ve slept amongst bed bugs, instead of waiting for days before taking action, please be so kind to immediately get your stuff through a dryer or wash it at 60 degrees. It is that simple. Help not spreading this plague all over the camino. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• F624D9AD-B3B6-4926-8515-A204054BE582.jpeg
    F624D9AD-B3B6-4926-8515-A204054BE582.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

James P

Past OR future Camino
CF Sep/Oct 2015
C Primitivo Sep / Oct 2016
Portugese Sep/Oct 2017
VdlP, Muxia 2018
Well over 6 months since being home, the bedbug bites still give me sleepless nights. It appeared they ARE capable of leaving eggs(?) under your skin. Regular doctors haven’t heard of it but thank God I found someone on the alternative path who is helping me getting rid of this problem and hopefully will be able to sleep itch-free soon.

So my request, if you find out you’ve slept amongst bed bugs, instead of waiting for days before taking action, please be so kind to immediately get your stuff through a dryer or wash it at 60 degrees. It is that simple. Help not spreading this plague all over the camino. Thank you so much!
\
The more information on this topic the better for everyone. I too have suffered from these bites and also from mosquitos. I understand that they don't like direct sunlight. Important to hang your gear out in bright sunshine.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
... It appeared they ARE capable of leaving eggs(?) under your skin. ...

Absolutely not possible - bed bugs don't lay eggs under skin BUT if you are still suffering 6 months later from bed bug bites the bad message is that you have taken them home, they are now living in your home and your are getting bitten repeatedly. Please seek professional advice from an exterminator. Buen Camino sin chinches, SY

C clearly

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012. Hoping now for 2022.
Well over 6 months since being home, the bedbug bites still give me sleepless nights.
If you are getting new bites in new places, then I think @SYates is right. If you are finding that the same bite spot is still itchy (not new places) then it might be a local allergic reaction or touch of excema or similar irritation, that won't go away. I am not a medical professional.
Regular doctors haven’t heard of it but thank God I found someone on the alternative path
What alternative path would that be? What is the solution you are trying?

GettingThere

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
C. Frances sections Apr-Jun 2019

Are you sure this isn't scabies? They do burrow into your skin and lay their eggs, and the resulting long lasting rash looks very much like what you have in this photo. As SYates says, bedbugs don't do that - it's one of those internet myths (and bedbug eggs are big!) Scabies is quite common and is unpleasant but treatable. Your doctor should be able to diagnose this and prescribe suitable lotions to ease the itch and help kill the scabies. Don't let anyone tell you it's bedbug eggs in your skin, especially if they then charge you money to "fix" it!

Camino Magnets
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

RuijgRock

Past OR future Camino
sept/oct 2017
Absolutely not possible - bed bugs don't lay eggs under skin BUT if you are still suffering 6 months later from bed bug bites the bad message is that you have taken them home, they are now living in your home and your are getting bitten repeatedly. Please seek professional advice from an exterminator. Buen Camino sin chinches, SY

I have definately not taken them home with me. For 8 months I havent gotten a new bite. The rash is old and just doesn’t heal, because there is something under my skin (you can even feel it when you softly go over my skin with your finger). Since I experienced them a few times on the trail I DO know what new bites are like and thank God that hasn’t been the case. Sorry to worry anybody but it is possible they leave you with stuff in your skin, being it eggs or other stuff

RuijgRock

Past OR future Camino
sept/oct 2017
Are you sure this isn't scabies? They do burrow into your skin and lay their eggs, and the resulting long lasting rash looks very much like what you have in this photo. As SYates says, bedbugs don't do that - it's one of those internet myths (and bedbug eggs are big!) Scabies is quite common and is unpleasant but treatable. Your doctor should be able to diagnose this and prescribe suitable lotions to ease the itch and help kill the scabies. Don't let anyone tell you it's bedbug eggs in your skin, especially if they then charge you money to "fix" it!
I was hoping it was scabies but unfortunaltely it isn’t. My docter couldn’t help me but as stated someone in the alternative circuit is helping me. I’m sleeping again since almost 8 months, so there is a remedy. Itching is almost gone!

RuijgRock

Past OR future Camino
sept/oct 2017
If you are getting new bites in new places, then I think @SYates is right. If you are finding that the same bite spot is still itchy (not new places) then it might be a local allergic reaction or touch of excema or similar irritation, that won't go away. I am not a medical professional.

What alternative path would that be? What is the solution you are trying?

Has tot do with frequencie. And it is working. After 2 days the most painfull itching was gone. The shallow itching is leaving as well. Am soooooo relieved after all these months

Carole Dellinger

Past OR future Camino
Camino frances (2018)

This looks like potential scabies. They burrow under the skin, lay eggs and are contagious from shared bedding, clothes, or even contact. The good news is that they are much easier to get rid of than bedbugs. Coating your skin with prescription permethrin is quite effective. And then you have to work on decontaminating your home. Or take a long vacation while they die .
You may need to suggest this diagnosis to a doctor.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Magnets

RuijgRock

Past OR future Camino
sept/oct 2017
Thanks; I already did; unfortunately it’s not scabies. Alternative treatment is working though, hope to be rid of it soon

RuijgRock

Past OR future Camino
sept/oct 2017
Sounds crazy to regular medicin, but it has to do with frequency. Loading a certain frequency in my body through wire (attached to my body). Whatever the bugs have left in my underarms, it doesn’t like this frequency and therefor seems to leave. Although everything is frequency, so maybe not so crazy after all..

RuijgRock

Past OR future Camino
sept/oct 2017
Sounds crazy to regular medicin, but it has to do with frequency. Loading a certain frequency in my body through wire (attached to my body). Whatever the bugs have left in my underarms, it doesn’t like this frequency and therefor seems to leave. Although everything is frequency, so maybe not so crazy after all..
Btw, I guess antibiotics would help too, but I’m not a fan of that

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.