• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Handmade Credential

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I did a search and can't find anything on this.
Seems like somewhere on here, somebody from the Pilgrim Office said they will no longer accept handmade Credentials or scraps of paper to collect stamps.

Did I dream this?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Annie, I know that the Search is sometimes quite frustrating. In case you (or others) find this helpful, here is another tip about finding stuff on the forum - either specific or for general browsing. Of course different people have different ways of using the forum, and we all find the most convenient option for us.

Sometimes the "tags" can be useful. These are the little labels under the title of a thread, mostly placed there by moderators. Most of these tags are listed in the cloud at the bottom of the main Forum page here. They are also used to create the sub-forums that are listed in drop-downs on that same page. For example, here is a view of the dropdown that includes a sub-forum about credenciales.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 30
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I seem to remember that the answer was to have both one's official and self animated credentials.
Now when I first walked the Camino almost 20 years ago there were 'professional' pilgrims who would walk on behalf of others with two credentials and then collect their fee on presentation of a certificate. Be it right or be it wrong , the practice still exists and the 'professional' will still simply hand over their own certificate.

From a more personal point of view , keep your own stamped diary or additional illustrated credential? Its a no brainer?

I seem to remember that the answer was to have both one's official and self animated credentials.
Now when I first walked the Camino almost 20 years ago there were 'professional' pilgrims who would walk on behalf of others with two credentials and then collect their fee on presentation of a certificate. Be it right or be it wrong , the practice still exists and the 'professional' will still simply hand over their own certificate.

From a more personal point of view , keep your own stamped diary or additional illustrated credential? Its a no brainer?

How much might one of these dubious characters expect to be paid?

Just asking for a friend, obviously.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The answer, by the way, was that only the "official" Credential is accepted at the Pilgrim's Office for the Compostela (and the last 100k). Anything before the last 100k you can use whatever you want to collect the sellos.
Though we were allowed to accept "overflow" sellos on additional sheets of paper if the official credential was full up and I was presented with a paper placemat from a restaurant that had been used in that way.

20 years ago there were 'professional' pilgrims who would walk on behalf of others
Not a new practice at all. It was common in medieval times, especially for those who had been ordered to do a pilgrimage as a penance.

According to Nancy Louise Frey, in 'Pilgrim Stories', it used to be much harder to get a credencial. They had to be authorised by a priest or confraternity, and the lady at St. Jean Pied de Port was most meticulous. The idea was that you had to demonstrate that you were a serious pilgrim by establishing your intent before you set out. This would be why the pilgrim office is still rather sniffy about stamps on anything other than a credencial.

Incidentally, there is nothing to stop you getting an extra stamp on your own journal etc. Most hospis would be OK with that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How much might one of these dubious characters expect to be paid?

Just asking for a friend, obviously.
Well , I am thinking particularly of an old school Spanish chap in 2003 who was about 50, He would have a pilgrim's menu every night. He was a very easy going man who was quite happy walking 15/20 miles a day - so he did not take advantage of the situation. I never did ask him what his deal was but let us surmise? In those days lets say €1000 to cover all expenses and a further €1000 on presentation of a credential which in those days may well have been in the Beneficiary's name?

Edit: 08/12 - It is a tad unfair to call these professional Pilgrims dubious , rather the beneficiary's intent should be questioned?

Last edited:
It is an interesting thread Dog , it has only been a few years since I have acquired the knowledge of what an 'Indulgence' was? Fascinating history!
A very good point. There is certainly a similarity. I suspect the established church might not take too kindly a freelance indulgence salesperson getting into the market.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well , I am thinking particularly of an old school Spanish chap in 2003 who was about 50, He would have a pilgrim's menu every night. He was a very easy going man who was quite happy walking 15/20 miles a day - so he did not take advantage of the situation. I never did ask him what his deal was but let us surmise? In those days lets say €1000 to cover all expenses and a further €1000 on presentation of a credential which in those days may well have been in the Beneficiary's name?
Since the recording of passport information is required at places of lodging, including albergues, a "professional" pilgrim might have a hard time explaining why the name on the passport was not the same as the name on the credential. However, that requirement does not apply for sellos obtained at bars and other non-lodging places.

I suggest getting the blank credential(s) for obtaining your compostella and using your book to collect a duplicate. I did this with my sketchbook which added a special flavor to my image. This way you can meet both needs.

BC,
Hugh

I know that the Search is sometimes quite frustrating. In case you (or others) find this helpful, here is another tip about finding stuff on the forum - either specific or for general browsing. Of course different people have different ways of using the forum, and we all find the most convenient option for us.

Sometimes the "tags" can be useful. These are the little labels under the title of a thread, mostly placed there by moderators. Most of these tags are listed in the cloud at the bottom of the main Forum page here. They are also used to create the sub-forums that are listed in drop-downs on that same page. For example, here is a view of the dropdown that includes a sub-forum about credenciales.
Very helpful @C clearly
Thankyou.

Perhaps there are some Members that can upload a few pics of their notebooks or duplicate homemade credentials?

Here are 2 photos from my 2018 Sanabria camino and 1 from a roadtrip up through Washington State. All show the stamps collected in my sketch journals.

Attachments

• 8C206A6D-EB36-4782-9EBF-A56B8C031A14.jpeg
    8C206A6D-EB36-4782-9EBF-A56B8C031A14.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 8D78DFE8-5F05-49D0-8133-352E0B7B4F29.jpeg
    8D78DFE8-5F05-49D0-8133-352E0B7B4F29.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • EB2B5037-C9EA-45CF-BFE5-2062D01B015E.jpeg
    EB2B5037-C9EA-45CF-BFE5-2062D01B015E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Which (if you scroll far enough) refers us to https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-credencial/ which states that an "official" credential and religious intent is required for a Compostela. Not sure of the requirements for the "I did it" certificate. I was't willing to stand in line for either. The stamps in my diary were more than enough evidence to me that "I did it." Proving it to anyone else is irrelevant.

Hola, sorry if this is a little off topic. Yes you do need an "official" credential. But I do recall seeing a pilgrim who had a detailed diary of his/her progress,. A new page for each alberque and the relevant stamp at the top of each page. A great way to keep track of ones pilgrimage.

Hola, sorry if this is a little off topic. Yes you do need an "official" credential. But I do recall seeing a pilgrim who had a detailed diary of his/her progress,. A new page for each alberque and the relevant stamp at the top of each page. A great way to keep track of ones pilgrimage.
Probably wasn't me, but I did have a journal in which I put a stamp for every albergue or café/bar/restaurant I visited (and a few truism offices and shops). Along with notes about things I saw or experienced.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.