• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Handmade Unguento - Pilgrims Ointment

Annaliese&Maarten

I want to share my experience and a remedy that I am passionate about...

My arches decided to collapse Day1 of the Camino (starting in Burgos)! I lived on the Unguento Tradicional (ointment) for dealing with the really tight calves, muscles and inflamed and throbbing feet. Maarten who was not my boyfriend at the time, had to rub it on my feet every night before sleeping. Needless to say he is now my boy!

The point is, when I returned back to Australia I still had painful throbbing feet, so I decided (being an organic skin care manufacturer!) to make up my own, extra strength, organic version of the ointment (the spanish one is unfortunately petroleum base : ( )

I am lucky to get any of the ointment when I make up a batch as my family uses it all up on their backs, bruises, tight muscles, migraines etc. It is packed full of Arnica, Calendula, Chamomile, Aloe etc etc!

If you are wanting to give a natural organic preservative free ointment a go, try my Pilgrim's Ointment here at http://www.pilgrimsointment.com.au

BTW, I went to the hospital in Astorga as I was only able to take 1 very painful step at a time in the end. The hospital took a look at it and told me and told me no more camino!... I was devastated! When there was a person walking at a faster rate than me with Cerebal Palsy, I had a lot of perspective. I knew if he could do it so bravely, there was no way I was going to let bad feet get in my way. I found a physio in Astorga who tirelessly worked on my feet for 1hr 40mins and charged me only 20euro. He worked wonders, correcting and realigning... I only wish I could find his details for you all : (

Good luck everyone and I wish you the life changing journey I experienced...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was using Hirschtalg given to me by a German girl who had to drop out. I just could not find any along the Camino so bought some Unguento Tradicional. Glad to see it helped. I love the smell of The Hirschtalg. Pity can’t find it.

I was using Hirschtalg given to me by a German girl who had to drop out. I just could not find any along the Camino so bought some Unguento Tradicional. Glad to see it helped. I love the smell of The Hirschtalg. Pity can’t find it.

Hirschtalg is deer fat. I've never heard of that being used as an ointment before but if you are living in Europe Amazon Germany sells it and will ship to other European countries. Look here.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back