• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hands-free umbrella/sunshades

mgnswaus

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - SJPdP 2019, Frances/Portuguese 22, 23, 24
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@mgnswaus, if you search the forum with a key tag such as umbrella, you will find various threads discussing this, e.g click here
Hope this helps
Suzanne :)

I'm using the expandable hands free euroschirm in 32 to 35°C so far while training and not on the camino. Have used it straight up and haven't tried angling it east or west yet. I think it helps a lot. My arms are still in the sun so am wearing some biking sleeves as someone suggested on this forum. I'm taking a waterproof top and a rain skirt since I don't think I will be protected from rain. My shoes are not waterproof since I've read that waterproof shoes once wet take a long time to dry and they can make your feet very hot. Using ankle high stockings and smartwool socks as a 2 part system. My backpack has its own rain cover and my thinks will be in waterproof stuff sacks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have just sourced what looks like 2 great umbrella/ sunshades (teleScope and Swing) which attach to most backpacks.

Email danilo.rahn@birdiepal.com for advice on shipping, depending where you live. Neither is available in Australia so will have to be shipped from the US.

The website is :
http:// www.euroschirm.com/schirm/teleScope_handsfree/info.cgi?session=i78rCuXE36M29&sprache_land=usa

Has anyone any experience of either of these?

I have long been interested in these umbrellas though have yet to commit.

On the Euroschirm website Australia appears as a choice under the Union Jack drop down. However, when it is chosen as if to order the following message pops up:

"For all requests from Australia, please contact our Australian distributor Zen Imports Pty Ltd: support@zenimports.zendesk.com, phone: (02) 8878 3600"

Using the handsfree Euroschirm at the moment on the VdlP. It was 35 to 38 deg last week and the umbrella was a godsend! Used it this morning to protect from the rain this time (the weather has changed drastically).
I was doubtful because of the extra weight but so far it's been fantastic.

I ordered it direct from Euroschirm but of course I live in Europe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm using the expandable hands free euroschirm in 32 to 35°C so far while training and not on the camino. Have used it straight up and haven't tried angling it east or west yet. I think it helps a lot. My arms are still in the sun so am wearing some biking sleeves as someone suggested on this forum. I'm taking a waterproof top and a rain skirt since I don't think I will be protected from rain. My shoes are not waterproof since I've read that waterproof shoes once wet take a long time to dry and they can make your feet very hot. Using ankle high stockings and smartwool socks as a 2 part system. My backpack has its own rain cover and my thinks will be in waterproof stuff sacks.

The sleeves are a good idea. That is something I would recommend for a summer VDLP. I have been wearing a thin Adidas running shirt which is brilliant in the sun but I noticed last night that I had copped a little sunburn through it as it is quite thin. I have a Long sleeved thin merino top which I would not wear hiking but is great to change into for these cooler temps post arrival.

The Euroschirm umbrella is a godsend. I've used it in the sun and with my Aarn pack you can jam the handle down the back (and not feel it) and it is quite secure.

Using the handsfree Euroschirm at the moment on the VdlP. It was 35 to 38 deg last week and the umbrella was a godsend! Used it this morning to protect from the rain this time (the weather has changed drastically).
I was doubtful because of the extra weight but so far it's been fantastic.

I ordered it direct from Euroschirm but of course I live in Europe.
Isn't the rain fantastic! Where are you at the moment? I'm heading to Almadén today.

I just use a regular sturdy stick umbrella that I buy in Spain for usually around 8 euros. I slip it through the front straps of my backpack and it works fine.

Isn't the rain fantastic! Where are you at the moment? I'm heading to Almadén today.

Am in Fuenterroble tonight and wearing my merino long sleeve top plus fleece!!! Lovely temp. to walk though. I cursed myself for having brought warm clothes when it was
35 + (how can I be so STUPID sort of thing) but now I'm quite pleased ..
Buen camino Donna, thinking of you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have just sourced what looks like 2 great umbrella/ sunshades (teleScope and Swing) which attach to most backpacks.

Email danilo.rahn@birdiepal.com for advice on shipping, depending where you live. Neither is available in Australia so will have to be shipped from the US.

The website is :
http:// www.euroschirm.com/schirm/teleScope_handsfree/info.cgi?session=i78rCuXE36M29&sprache_land=usa

Has anyone any experience of either of these?

Just thought about this... Should have asked which camino you were doing and when...

I'm adding an some elastic cord around the shaft of the umbrella since it moves too much if I'm on uneven terrain. Donna, sounds like your backpack is even better for carrying an umbrella. Btw, I'm really curious about the area around Almaden. If I ever do this again, I'd like to explore the wildlife, trails, and telescopes there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My arms are still in the sun so am wearing some biking sleeves as someone suggested on this forum.
Thank you for the heads up. I got quite sunburned, for the first time, on this Camino, despite using sunscreen. Perhaps it's getting a little old and the active ingredients are no longer working? But I would have been disappointed to order this umbrella and to learn it does not help covering arms. Next Camino: UVproof longsleeves of some sort for sure!

Last edited:
Melensdad, I liked your photos. Will try your way of attaching the umbrella. I'm finding that my umbrella has a little more movement that I like every time I make a step. Hadn't been able to fix the problem.

Another problem that developed was that the first half of the shaft was constantly shortening so that the umbella was touching my head. I tied a couple of wide, long rubber bands together and put a knot on each end. Then I wrapped the 2 rubber bands just below the extension ring. This did the trick.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have we got the same umbrella Ricitos? Because if so you just need to twist the handle and it locks the 'extension' in place...

Just thought about this... Should have asked which camino you were doing and when...
The European Peace walk from Vienna to Trieste/ Venice in August/September. A new part of the world.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.