• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hang on a minute!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hang on a minute!
- it just occurred to me that as a child I was taught again and again that "all roads lead to Rome" - so how is it that we always end up in Santiago?

Are the maps wrong? Or were my teachers lying to me?
Not always, David. There are some of us who have found other places to journey to on our pilgrimages. I note that recently @JohnnieWalker chose quite a different pilgrimage to undertake in Japan, and some of us have taken other roads than those to Rome and Santiago. Or perhaps we are lost souls and lack the essential sense of direction to always make it to Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's the little yellow arrows David blame Johnny Walker. He never takes his brush and yellow paint when he walks to the other places. only when he's on the Camino to Santiago. Simples ;)

Curious, I was taught "Omnia ab Roma". Everything comes from Rome. Which made no sense in the context of the Ridgeway, or the Peddars Way or any of that stuff that was here in my homeland before the cute guys in the armour and skirts started building bungalows and installing central heating so I decided it was one of those grown up jokes that I wasn't supposed to get.
The route of the stars, the route to the west, to the end of the world, that was ours too. Though the guys in the skirts with the nasty sharp pointy swords, well they bagged that too. Then came the second wave. Conquering the world in a soft, turny cheeked, smiley way. And they nicked the old roads too.
In poor old Nottingham the poor and the damned still gather at "the Trip" no longer bound for Jerusalem or the sack of Constantinople but still well up for some pillage if it's there.

The road leads where it leads. If Yeates was right it only ever leads us home. Surely it's the journey that matters.

Well I was always taught the expression "You can't know a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes". On the Camino I got to know quite a few people without ever walking a mile in their shoes, and frankly when they took them off I was glad I hadn't, thank you very much. :eek:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back