• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hanging hooks

Sansthing

Time of past OR future Camino
French Camino (2009), French Camino (2011), Via de la Plata (2012), Camino Inglês (2014),
I don´t know if this has come up before, but today I was chatting to a 2008 pilgrim when I went to fetch my pilgrim´s passport, and he gave me a tip I thought very useful and wanted to share with you. He said that you should never ever let your bumbag or money belt out of sight, including when showering. He took two small s-shaped metal hooks which he could suspend from the door or other suitable place in the shower so as to be able to hang any valuables on them. He said there are usually no hooks in the showers, so I imagine these might also come in handy for keeping clothes dry too.
Bom Caminho.
Sandra

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, well, it sounds like a good idea but I would be VERY careful where you hang that hook!
There were people grabbing purses over the bathroom stall doors a few years back, and the owners were caught with their pants down. :lol:
If you hang it over a shower door, someone can reach right over to get your money pouch.
I found it best to take my money pouch into the private shower stall with me, and leave it laying in clear sight with my clothing. It never got more than 2 feet away!

I met 3 people on the Camino who were robbed at the Pamplona aulburgue when some "friendly pilgrims" promised to watch their gear, including backpack and money pouch, while they showered. When they returned, the "friendlies" were gone, along with their cash. For two of them, it was the end of their Camino and they had to return home.

Generally, I don't think there is a lot of theft along the Camino. People, for the most part, are good and are honest. However, one cannot be naive or take chances and expect not to pay a price.

All good points about watching your stuff.

I am the last person anyone would want to steal from...and never had a problem. That said,and as Annisantiago said...you got hooks...don't hook on a door facing out...use the inside wall or pipe for nozzel. The true thief had already worked out the more simplistic methods to "secure" valuables and have a way to get your stuff. A large zip lock bag with valuables inside in the shower is the way to go.

Buen may the thief rot in...Camino
Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All excellent points, thanks :) . I suppose hooks could still be useful for your clothes or towel, though.
Sandra

You could also take a hook that has a suction cup on the back so you can 'hook' it anywhere within the shower stall. From experience, the shower stalls can get pretty darn wet, if not flooded, and very few have seats or shelves inside. As to why alberques don't put hooks in their showers stalls, I have no idea! Not expensive but how appreciated!

Sansthing said:
All excellent points, thanks :) . I suppose hooks could still be useful for your clothes or towel, though.
Sandra

Yes, but it's just another "thing" that you don't need... and I PROMISE YOU, you will be discarding those "things" all through Spain, as you realize the difference a few ounces makes ::laughing::

Arn, your idea of a ziplock bag in the shower is the best I've heard. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All weight counts, but a fraction of an ounce for a hook left behind is like cutting off the handle of your toothbrush. Do it if it makes you feel good, but that amount of weight will be lost in sweat in the first hour!

MmmmHmmm... that's right... let me be more clear.

It only takes 16 ounces to make a pound! :lol:

I'm not saying cut off your toothbrush. :roll: (unless you want to save space)

I'm simply saying, "Look at each and every item and ask yourself if you really cannot live without it."

If you don't really need it, why take it?

On the other hand, if you really LOVE your hook... and you really feel you NEED it, then gosh, by all means, pack it!

Speaking to weight...my experience with long distance hiking is one of many, many miles with very little support available. So, when I started to pack for my Camino, I used past experience as a guide. I have a serious back problem, so I thought that a foldable camp seat would be a good idea...Vinotinto said...nope! So I dropped it...I was glad I did.

I am a clean freak...so I took a large...32 oz. shampoo. Big mistake! I also carried many more RX items than I needed. But, I thought I'd be safe with what I had.

On the AT, you cross civilization about every 30 to 50 miles...therefore, you carry all your food for that stretch...I also carried a six pac of Coors light.

On the Camino, I can find 4 oz tubes of shampoo and I can eat like a king everyday...should I choose to, without carrying a lot of food with me. I did carry a sausage and hard cheese for snacks...but not the 2.5 lbs per day I carried on the AT.

My point is this...with the exception of your pack, sleeping gear, rain gear and water containers, clogs and change of clothes...you need only carry a minimum of stuff. An airline ditty bag of tooth paste & brush, deodorant and TP will serve. All else you can get...as needed...in a supermercado along the Way.

Buen KISS Camino,
Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Weight weight weight

Arn is giving very good advice. I set a target weight for my pack usually around 7kgs then just work hard at keeping to the target. As has been said before often it isn't what you take but the kind of things you take - search shops for lightweight easy drying underwear and synthetic t shirts to walk in, buy or collect mini versions of deoderant, soap, shampoo, use sock liners so they can be washed and dried overnight rather than trying to wash wool socks all the time....and be prepared to ditch what you find you are not using. For example I walk a lot and I found myself accumulating a bag of little things I might need but the reality was I never used them at all - I use little clips to hang up washing, they work perfectly, if I lose one or both of them I can buy others...then why do I have two spares in my bag? Discard the parts of guide books you only need for preparation but not the journey etc etc. Little does make large.

But it is true that carrying lots of weight doesn't bother some people - I've met pilgrims who produced a couple of hard back novels out of their bags, one who wore dress shoes, socks, shirt and trousers to dinner in the evening. I've met people who would never trust a fuente and routinely carry 4 litrs of water.

But I've also met more pilgrims whose pilgrimage has been blighted by crippling joint pain and/or blisters. Weight, weight weight.

Recently I was travelling back from Santiago when a guy opposite on the plane produced a very slim, lightweight lap top computer and began to type up his journal. I've often thought of taking a palm pilot or something to take route notes so I engaged him in conversation. Of course one of my my first questions was how much he was carrying. "15kgs" he replied. He saw the look of astonishment on my face and continued quickly, "But I made it". As it turned out both of his feet were in thick bandages, he had bought extra sized shoes to cope and had been taking days off just to gather the will to move on. But he said he had learned an important lesson and next time he was going to try and keep the weight down to 12 kgs!

Nowadays with technical clothing and modern packs lightwight walking can be a reality - ask Sillydol how much weight she carries!

Happy packing

John

We tried with the bathroom door hooks a couple of years ago, sticking them up at every albergue we passed through. The following year most were snapped off or missing entirely, as people had evidently hung way-too-heavy things on them, or we´d positioned them wrong and they bumped against the wall when the door was opened wide.

Oh well. Attempts are made.

Reb

My total pack weight, including snacks and water, will most strictly NOT exceed 7 kilos. The two hooks I am talking about and intend to take weigh 7 grams each :!: I think part of the fun in planning for the Camino is the challenge of weighing everything and deciding how little you really need.
Sandra

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A few clothes pins. A hanging hook. A daytime "pack." An extra camera chip. A stocking cap. A pair of gloves (highly recommended). Fingernail clippers. An extra shoe lace. They all weigh a little bit, but the convenience of having them at hand may be worth the few ounces they weigh, and the several Euros they will cost to acquire. Pilgrims may suffer discomfort, but they do not have to go all the way to misery! Leave the heavy stuff at home (shampoo, extra boots, the 72-function Swiss Army knife, etc.), and take the little things you will use. Buy only what you forgot or might not have needed, not the stuff you SHOULD have taken. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

What is a stocking cap? Why do you need one?

What is a stocking cap?

Great to have...light weight and..I am wearing one right now 7 degrees F here.

As I mentioned is a previous thread...30% of your body heat escapes from your head...use when walking in cold weather and sleeping when you feel cold..I love mine.

Falcon make s several good points. keep reading and searching the Forum for good solid info.

Buen I got it down to 1 oz. Camino
Arn

Attachments

• woolwatch cap.jpg
    woolwatch cap.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 900
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
falcon269 said:
A few clothes pins. A hanging hook. A daytime "pack." An extra camera chip. A stocking cap. A pair of gloves (highly recommended). Fingernail clippers. An extra shoe lace. They all weigh a little bit, but the convenience of having them at hand may be worth the few ounces they weigh, and the several Euros they will cost to acquire. Pilgrims may suffer discomfort, but they do not have to go all the way to misery! Leave the heavy stuff at home (shampoo, extra boots, the 72-function Swiss Army knife, etc.), and take the little things you will use. Buy only what you forgot or might not have needed, not the stuff you SHOULD have taken. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Hello,
how much is one prepared to suffer for the little comforts of life. Even in the life of a pilgrim. You have to make decicions with every little item.
-T-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back