A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Happy 200th Birthday, Museo del Prado!

Camino Badges

peregrina2000

Staff member
One of the few drawbacks to my current practice of flying direct from Santiago to Madrid to USA is that I no longer need to spend a night in Madrid like I did when I took the train down. That means that my chances to visit the Prado are greatly reduced. :-(

Though the camino is centuries older, this museum deserves a happy birthday shoutout, IMO.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/arts/design/prado-museum-madrid-200-anniversary.html

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Last time I spent 6 hours in there... and only left because they closed the museum for the day!
Such an amazing place :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017
And after the Prado, 3 minutes walk up the broad boulevard is the Museo Naval, one of the finest maritime museums in the world. If you like ships, and Spanish exploration, you will not be disappointed. I visit it every time I am in Madrid, and always discover new things to appreciate.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Lots of good press for the Prado lately. Such a beautiful museum. And as the article notes, and my Portuguese friends remind me, it was the Portuguese wife of King Ferdinand VII who prodded him to create the museum! We can all be very thankful.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
One of the few drawbacks to my current practice of flying direct from Santiago to Madrid to USA is that I no longer need to spend a night in Madrid like I did when I took the train down. That means that my chances to visit the Prado are greatly reduced. :-(
I'm in the same boat. It's easier on a tight schedule to fly in and out of Santiago.
Boo.
But...HAPPY BIRTHDAY Prado!!!✨

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Wonderful museum. Worth a layover for anyone who hasn't visited. And for those of us who have. Happy 200th! 🎂

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 159 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 259 24.9%